Most Overrated and Underrated Ski Resorts in the east - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I'm gonna shout-out Catamount for underrated.
    Never skied there but I'm a little motivated to check it out. I have a hard time believing it skis bigger than Jiminy or B-East but I'd like to find out if it does!
    2019/2020 season [*powder day]

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10] Bretton Woods [1/3] Gunstock [1/2] Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2*] Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Never skied there but I'm a little motivated to check it out. I have a hard time believing it skis bigger than Jiminy or B-East but I'd like to find out if it does!
    I skied Catamount about 10 times and b eeast once
    I liked Catamount more
    And have not skiing Catamount in 3 or 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by FBGM View Post
    Looks like some people failed 5th grade geography.
    I don't know where you're coming from. But Berkshire East is not easy to get to for many people.

I never skied there because of that. But I go there in the summer a lot. I just can't see driving there in the winter. I definitely prefer Mount Snow given the terrain and vertical there.

I'll make a sacrilege statement to say Magic is overrated. Its location means it doesn't often get the kind of snow its reputation rely on. And when the condition is occasionally right on, the lines are intolerable.

I much prefer Plattekill. Even though it's further south (closer to NYC), and don't have as much terrain (size/vertical) or even snow, what it has skis well. The main thing is, there's no crowd!

But as I write it, I can see what makes some place over or under rated. It's really what one compares it to. If Plattekill isn't here (or further away from where I live), I think I'd like Magic more.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I'm gonna shout-out Catamount for underrated. You can search my post history for depth but to summarize they don't groom everything flat like their competition (Jiminy Peak, Mohawk, Butternut). Trails ski much longer than 1,000ft vertical. Catapult is legitimately steep and typically bumped up.

Catamount has some good variety, and yes Catapult is legit steep for Mass (for about 4 turns). It's well south of Jimminy, so much closer. For the Berkshires it would be my first pick too. Butternut is awesome for light blue intermediates.

Berkshire East has the price of the drive on Rte 2 in from 91. You might as well go to Mt Snow and have far better terrain and conditions.

Most underrated Blanford. Decent sized smallish, skiable, off the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I don't know where you're coming from. But Berkshire East is not easy to get to for many people.

I'll make a sacrilege statement to say Magic is overrated. Its location means it doesn't often get the kind of snow its reputation rely on. And when the condition is occasionally right on, the lines are intolerable.
    So your complaint is that you're not willing to wait for good (ie better than rapidly skied out alternatives) skiing on a powder day?

Most over rated run at Killington: OL Usually ice bumps, and only half width at that since they don't blow it full width. Sure, it's good a few days a year.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    So your complaint is that you're not willing to wait for good (ie better than rapidly skied out alternatives) skiing on a powder day?
    Not if I have other options that are as good without the wait.

The "goods" of Magic, according to the opinion here, are the glades. Glades are rarely "rapidly skied out" in any mountain, even the busy mega resorts. There simply isn't enough people skiing the glades. Further more, glades tend to have million lines in a small patch, so traffic doesn't have as much impact as on groomers.

I will stand in lines for ages to ski open powder runs, if the slow lift means few others are able to get on it before me. But there's no point in standing in lines for ages to ski glades.

Like I said, over or under rated depends on what to compare to. Plattekill have equally low lift capacity, but without the crowd to make the line. So snow stays good for a decent while, and I don't have to wait much. In comparison, Magic seems overrated.
    Last edited by abc; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM.

Jay Peak.

In full disclosure, I love the place, but if you follow Ski The East, they're are a lot of fan boy/girls that act like it's a transcendent eastern skiing experience. I think it's very good (about 4th-7th in the east IMO), but not a clear cut #1 like I hear quite a bit over there.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Jay Peak.
    When it's good, it's vewy, vewy good.
    When it's bad, it's vewy, vewy bad.

Choose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    the only way this works is if we agree on a preexisting set of ratings.

"I thought most people thought Killington kicks ass"
    "Huh I thought most people agree Killington sucks"

If we are going based on skier visits, it would be impossible to say as the #1 ranked Eastern resort that Killington is "overrated". It's got the highest rating of anyone!
    I've done 30+days at K for the last 13 years. It's a great mountain with terrain that will put most other east coast resorts to shame. Just have to know how to navigate the crowds. Since I just sold my home there, I'll be branching out a lot this season. It will be interesting and I hope not too disappointing. Looking forward to NH though. Other than Loon, haven't spent much time there.

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    When it's good, it's vewy, vewy good.
    When it's bad, it's vewy, vewy bad.

Choose wisely.
    I think the biggest key for Jay is that it can be very very good while everyone else is mediocre.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19

2019-20 days - 6
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3
    Killington: 12/8

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    I think the biggest key for Jay is that it can be very very good while everyone else is mediocre.
    That goes for December powder days with 100% mountain open as well as April spring skiing with 100% mountain open.
    2019/2020 season [*powder day]

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10] Bretton Woods [1/3] Gunstock [1/2] Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2*] Wachusett [12/16]

Thread Information