Most Overrated and Underrated Ski Resorts in the east

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Most Overrated and Underrated Ski Resorts in the east

For this one I'll have to say Whiteface and Stowe for overrated and Sugarbush and Sugarloaf for underrated. I might even say Hunter is underrated. The terrain is good and you can avoid the crowds by riding the non-detachable lifts. What do you think?

I would also say that Black Mountain New Hampshire is underrated.

Over/underrated by what measure? I can think of ski areas that are good for avoiding crowds. I like going to Bolton Valley to get 1st chair and mostly ride solo. I like Mad River Glen and Bromley for the same reason.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Overrated means many things to many different people.
    Without being specific I’m not sure how anybody could answer this question. Maybe some sort of Pole would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by asnowmobiler View Post
    Overrated means many things to many different people.
    Without being specific I’m not sure how anybody could answer this question. Maybe some sort of Pole would be better?
    Overrated meaning a resort that may be ranked high in surveys, or by people you know. Essentially resorts that get a lot more praise than they should. This can be for anything. Terrain, snowmaking, lodging, etc.

I feel snowbird is overrated because my fat ass can’t ski most of it. LOL

It is a world-class resort and I would never miss the opportunity to go there but it’s overrated for my abilities for all but a very small potion of the resort.

I'd also say Telluride and Deer Valley are. Head to a place like Squaw or Mammoth. Those are certainly underrated.

Underrated in the East - Burke for sure

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico) 29 (Burke)
    March: 1,14 (Mount Snow) 2 (Mount Southington) 5,6,7 (Cannon) 8 (Loon)

Underrated: Bromley. Magic. Tenney. Whaleback. Lots of fantastic places under the radar. Middlebury and Dartmouth have pretty neat ski areas that are worth checking out.

Overrated: Tuckerman Ravine. The bowl is only 500 vertical feet. It's fun to ski, don't get me wrong, but 95% of people ski it in the spring and don't ski it in powder. Bowls are best skied with powder. The back bowls at Snowbird, the Beast of the West, are way steeper, longer, and more fun. I would much rather be at Snowbird than Mount Worthless. Snowbird also gets 2x the snow. Tuckerman Ravine would be a joke out west, it's only here in the east that people would worship it.

If you're not a baby and ready for big boy terrain, check out Mount Katahdin. That actually has some long, scary steep lines that would put many western lines to shame. It takes more than an hour and a half skin to get to Mount Katahdin, which keeps the weekend warriors and city folk out, thank god. Katahdin is like the Platty/Magic/Jay of the east, while Washington is like the Okemo/Stratton/Sunapee of the east.

Want to know where the best skiing is at Mount Washington? 1,000 miles west, actually, at Mount Washington in Vancouver Island!

P.S. I'm totally kidding about Tuckerman Ravine. It's actually a lot of fun. If you're a seriously talented skier who has completed Avy Level 1, definitely check out Mount Katahdin.
    Last edited by crazy; Nov 25, 2019 at 7:43 PM.

Sugarbush and Sugarloaf are pretty popular places to be considered under-rated.

Over and under-rated are such subjective terms. You seem to equate under-rated with good places that get relatively small crowds, which kind of makes sense to me.
    Maybe another way to ask the question is: what areas in the East have the best combination of good terrain and low crowds?
    Black Mtn, NH might be in the running for that for a small/mid size mtn with very small crowds. I always thought Wildcat and Cannon were good for that too compared to the big, famous places in VT. Smuggs might be a contender. Maybe Sugarbush North would be a candidate too if you consider it without busier Sugarbush South? When there's good natural snow, maybe Magic is a candidate? I thought Saddleback was a really neat place considering it did not get as much traffic as many other ski areas in the East.

Thread Information