• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RFID with scanners vs automatic gates

kingslug

I'm wondering why places like Stowe use ticket scanners as opposed to an automatic gate that reads it. Seems very inefficient.

bdfreetuna

all bullshit. Tickets + wickets was the winning combo. If ski areas are paranoid have a guy check them randomly.

drjeff

From what I have heard on the hand scanners vs the gates.

Gates: Pro's - simple, work under most circumstances
Con's - still need to have a person there to help figure out why a bad scan or no scan happens and then often tell the person to get their RFID card from out behind their phone (or something similar) or to adjust the height of the pocket they have their RFID card in to allow it to be within the scanner reading height

Guns: Pro's - direct interaction with the person with the RFID card if a false read happens, can make problem resolution happen quicker
Con's: in theory slower than gate use, although some of that speed presumes that those using the gates are doing it properly (see loading conveyors as a prime example of how this doesn't always go as it's designed too :roll::dontknow: )

The reality is that even though there *should* be a system that is easy to use, reliable, and efficient at getting folks passes scanned to make sure that they should be riding that lift, the fact that human consumers of varying degree of "lift use intelligence" and/or the ability to follow the often clearly labeled instruction on how to properly use their RFID cards for lift access, makes that ideal system currently more of a dream than a reality.. :lol:

kingslug

But it works pretty well at K which gets some serious traffic. But no matter, it employs some people from around the world.

p_levert

all bullshit. Tickets + wickets was the winning combo. If ski areas are paranoid have a guy check them randomly.

I'm with you Tuna! I really wonder about the return on investment of the newer technology.

Gates are stressful and slow down the line.

mister moose

Con's - still need to have a person there to help figure out why a bad scan or no scan happens and then often tell the person to get their RFID card from out behind their phone (or something similar) or to adjust the height of the pocket they have their RFID card in to allow it to be within the scanner reading height

... the fact that human consumers of varying degree of ... the ability to follow the often clearly labeled instruction on how to properly use their RFID cards

I was behind a bad scan last week, and whadaya know, the attendant came over, asked to see the RFID card, and he had 2 in his sleeve pocket. How does this basic information not get out there?

There should be a scanner by the ticket booth for the public to test their card and card placement before venturing onto the mountain.

abc

Gates: once installed, no more expense.

Human scanner: on-going cost of the wages.

When a bad scan happens on a gate, it hold up everyone behind the line. Then, everyone who already passed the other gates will also stop to wait for their buddy stuck in the stopped gate. Chairs start to go up empty.

With human scanners, people simply move around it.

bdfreetuna

The funny part about this tech is it's halfway between NYC subway turnstiles and EZ-Pass on the highway.

In 5 years the pricier resorts will install "Express Lane" for the IKON/EPIC members to ski right onto the moving-carpet high speed six-pack lat 10 MPH.

Those who pay the $189 walk up rate will have to join the "general corral" (aka the shitshow).

By this time, consumer oriented drones will have enough battery power and lift to begin operating rouge "Heli-Skiing" facilities, bypassing lifts altogether. That will be the golden age of skiing.

Cornhead

By this time, consumer oriented drones will have enough battery power and lift to begin operating rouge "Heli-Skiing" facilities, bypassing lifts altogether. That will be the golden age of skiing.
I've thought about this. Drive with drone to backcountry parking spot. Have drone fly you to wherever you want to drop in. Send drone back to your car. Or have it follow you back, repeat. You'd also have a built in recovery system if you were to run into trouble. Or, you could crash and die.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I was behind a bad scan last week, and whadaya know, the attendant came over, asked to see the RFID card, and he had 2 in his sleeve pocket. How does this basic information not get out there?

Oh it is out there...people are just too stupid and/or lazy and/or think the instructions are "made up" and don't apply to them.

Orca

RFID is so much better. You don't have to fish out your pass, just hit the gate and go. So glad to be done with the nuisance of the optical scan gun that fails twice or more before finally getting a good scan to the point that empty chairs are going up because the scanner is the bottleneck. And no more surly scanner peeps drawing salary for an unwanted and irritating service. RFID is the bomb.

cdskier

RFID is so much better. You don't have to fish out your pass, just hit the gate and go. So glad to be done with the nuisance of the optical scan gun that fails twice or more before finally getting a good scan to the point that empty chairs are going up because the scanner is the bottleneck. And no more surly scanner peeps drawing salary for an unwanted and irritating service. RFID is the bomb.

Yes, RFID is better than the old barcode scan systems, however the OP was comparing RFID gates vs RFID scan guns :p

Orca

Yes, RFID is better than the old barcode scan systems, however the OP was comparing RFID gates vs RFID scan guns :p

Haha! Didn't even know there were RFID scan guns. I'll take the gates. Anything to keep scanners out of my way.

cdskier

Haha! Didn't even know there were RFID scan guns. I'll take the gates. Anything to keep scanners out of my way.

Apparently Vail is big on using them (hence Stowe switching to them and the impetus for kingslug starting this thread).

Personally I'm fine with the gates, although ideally I'd love a system where the gates were at the entrance to the corrals. That would eliminate the only real issue I see with gates closer to the load point (where issues with 1 person getting through a gate can result in chairs going up empty).