• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RFID with scanners vs automatic gates

kingslug

Imagine trying to use scan guns at a place like alta on a powder day...that was stow last season on that late powder day...madness..
But its here to stay..and people from Pategonia get to hang out and work at Stowe..so thats cool with me..

cdskier

Hunter ..have to show them the pass so they can scan the barcode..yup...thats epic

Integrations take time...can't expect them to switch the entire system overnight (plus they still need to be able to support the legacy Peaks passes this year anyway, so better to wait until next year to switch once everyone will be on one type of pass)

Edd

Integrations take time...can't expect them to switch the entire system overnight (plus they still need to be able to support the legacy Peaks passes this year anyway, so better to wait until next year to switch once everyone will be on one type of pass)

Agreed. I’d be shocked if they’d locked the scanning thing down this quickly. It’s a transitional season.

xlr8r

Hunter ..have to show them the pass so they can scan the barcode..yup...thats epic

That is Peak's scanning system not Vail's. Vail's scanners at Okemo, Stowe, and Sunapee are RFID. Vail has said that the Peak acquisition closing happened so late that they could not integrate companies in time before the season. So everything at the Peak resorts is running as is this season. We are fortunate that the Epic pass is allowed at all at Peak resorts this year.

xlr8r

Just makes for cold fingers..lol

Yeah when I went to Mount Snow last Saturday and discovered they did not yet RFID, I was happy to still have my old arm band pass display in my bag that I will now have to use at the Peak resorts this year like the old days before we all got used to RFID.

drewfidelic

Peak gave away nice retractable pass holders. My Epic pass doesn't have a hole in it, so I figured that Vail might have just distributed RFID scanners for the acquired Peak resorts to use. Nope. Same old bar code scanners for this year. I'm trying to figure out where to punch a hole in the Epic pass to be able to attach it, but not destroy the RFID chip.

Cornhead

Belleayre's RF gates worked flawlessly Tuesday. I'm used to having to jostle around to get them to open at least a couple times a day from past experience with the RF gates. Maybe a sleeve pocket would be ideal for getting it close to the reader if necessary. I wonder if Belle's readers are more sensitive than earlier models, they are new this season.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

Belleayre's RF gates worked flawlessly Tuesday. I'm used to having to jostle around to get them to open at least a couple times a day from past experience with the RF gates. Maybe a sleeve pocket would be ideal for getting it close to the reader if necessary. I wonder if Belle's readers are more sensitive than earlier models, they are new this season.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

It worked at Gore perfect ly to my only time using it ever
I like having card in my pocket the whole day for many reasons

Smellytele

Most gates still have 2 people working at them for when things go wrong which seem to happen constantly. Always someone stuck when the thing doesn’t open. Happened every time at Jay last weekend to someone out of the 4 gates when I was behind them

skiur

I must say that there are rarely issues with the RFID at Killington. It works much better and faster than the hand scanners did.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Recent comparison between the Gates at Gunstock and the hand scanners at Cannon has me supporting the hand scanners. They seem to work better and results in fewer empty seats going up.

jimmywilson69

the hand RFID scanners are the best. The problem is clearly no one trains the people how to use it. The experienced scanners do it from a distance. the inexperienced people try to scan you like you have a bar code.

I would say its 50/50 that the gates work the first time for me. I blame being short.