Skiing Sunday River 2019-2020 - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Skiing at the River was hard fast and cold. It said 25 degrees, but that has to be the coldest 25 degrees I have ever felt. Mostly, all that was open were groomers and they were hard and fast. Cascades had some man made blown on it last night, felt like sand. I had a hard time trusting I wouldn't break thru the crust, but it skied just fine.

I'll try again tomorrow.

lovin life,

Bob

I did a little skiing with Maine Adaptive today. Mushy, spring conditions. Pretty much anything that was groomed was open, nothing natural.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    I did a little skiing with Maine Adaptive today. Mushy, spring conditions. Pretty much anything that was groomed was open, nothing natural.
    You’re volunteering? I’ve often been curious about that.

MASR, (Maine Adaptive Sports and Recreation, I think). No prior experience required. Training is free and readily available. They will not put you alone with a participant the first year or so, you will be apprenticing, so someone's life is not in your hands, as it were. You are assigned a jacket, for quick visibility. Typically, a volunteer signs up for, say, Mondays, and is there every Monday, from January 1 thru April 1. Sessions are 9 AM-3 PM. Most volunteers arrive about 8:30, boot up and review any chart information on the person you are assigned to for the day. Some will go all day, others, only a couple hours. Rain, snow or shine.

Some benefits are free lessons. Principles of Skiing, help you to become a better skier. Various adaptive lessons are available, for the various ways we assist. First aid classes are going to be available this year. If you aren't feeling it some day, just free skiing, and you want to take a lesson, there may well be a lesson going on that day, and there may be room for you to hop in on the lesson. Suppose it is a deep powder day and you need some help with it, could be pretty helpful.

And then there is the camaraderie you develop with other volunteers. There is often a "safety" meeting in the afternoons, generally held about 3 PM at the Matterhorn!!!
    lovin life,

Bob

Doing some good stuff and fun benefits too - nice!
    Live for today

I just want to say that the River is back onto their usual blowing snow like crazy. They have Lolopalooza open, working on the Heat, Tempest and other trails. It's back to what we are used to from the river, if a little late. Most skiing is groomers and hard packed due to the recent rains. We need a good ole' winter snowstorm to really set things right. Until then, the snow makers are earning their money!
    lovin life,

Bob

Heat skied very nice today ungroomed still, but hear the winch cats will be on the prowl tonight. Got up late so only hit Heat, Obsession Heats Off/Cascade Right Stuff, Ecstacy, starlight and roadrunner. Very shocked late in the day Right Stuff skied very nicely still. Good snow to carve in even in the middle of the trail. Ecstacy and Cascade got a recoating. Not the softest or driest stuff but will make it a lot nicer than what was between the piles when groomed out. Not too bad, look forward to stretching out across the resort tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Completely random question. What was T72 before it was a park? Only been back to SR a couple times since the 91-92 season and can't remember the landscape like I once did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Completely random question. What was T72 before it was a park? Only been back to SR a couple times since the 91-92 season and can't remember the landscape like I once did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app
    Woods and some glades.
    lovin life,

Bob

Wow, a regular weekend type of day, crowds and crowds. I'll be glad next Monday, back to normal. Loads of bump runs today. Claiming 105 trails and 13 lifts, but the day started with wind holds at Aurora and Jordan. Not sure Jordan ever opened, though Aurora did. Nice packing snow to make a base everywhere.
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information