• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Sunday River 2019-2020

skiur

My original plan was to go to SR on the 14th and the following few days, but judging by the weather I think it will have to be switched to Tremblant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because weather forecasts have pinpoint accuracy 10 days out!

Slidebrook87

Because weather forecasts have pinpoint accuracy 10 days out!

While it may not be completely accurate, if it is around 50 degrees right now, it is going to be somewhere in that general range.

skiur

While it may not be completely accurate, if it is around 50 degrees right now, it is going to be somewhere in that general range.

What is wrong with 50 degrees? Spring bumps rock, the only thing I prefer over corn snow is powder.

Slidebrook87

What is wrong with 50 degrees? Spring bumps rock, the only thing I prefer over corn snow is powder.

It sucks in this case because this type of weather is going to occur (along with rain) for about a week prior. This will likely result in trail closures and poor snow quality. Also, I do like spring skiing, but that's not what I'm looking for on this trip. This would ideally be my last "normal" ski trip before spring skiing starts in April.

machski

It sucks in this case because this type of weather is going to occur (along with rain) for about a week prior. This will likely result in trail closures and poor snow quality. Also, I do like spring skiing, but that's not what I'm looking for on this trip. This would ideally be my last "normal" ski trip before spring skiing starts in April.
Unreal. Learn to read the weather and don't trust a 10 day forecast. Not to mention, if it's that warm at SR, Tremblant likely to be the same or have had similar weather first. But in this case, today is warm with a bit of R@!n, going over to snow tonight tomorrow. May have a good storm Fri/Sat, still to early to tell. If that produces with a cold weekend, should be set up great for weekend of 14th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

I skied 5 hours today and much of Sunday River remains open, but not all of it. I just saw 132 trails open of 135. The 3 trails closed are Northern Exposure, Top Gun, South Paw and Last Tango. I wasn't looking all that hard, but i came up with 4 closed trails....:???:

The groomers were typical reliable Sunday River trails. Things got mushy as the day wore on, and after noon time, some of the snow was downright sticky. On Borealis, I was running from sunny spots to shady spots and it was sticky in the sunny spots and slick in the shade! Down lower, it was slushy enough that the snow was not sticky, but much more spring like.

No real snow in the forecast, but we are all hoping for a season extending snowstorm to give us some glades and bumps.

this weekend shows a borderline temp situation on friday.

next weekend (fantasy land at this point) shows a legit snowstorm.

here's hopin'

machski

I skied 5 hours today and much of Sunday River remains open, but not all of it. I just saw 132 trails open of 135. The 3 trails closed are Northern Exposure, Top Gun, South Paw and Last Tango. I wasn't looking all that hard, but i came up with 4 closed trails....:???:

The groomers were typical reliable Sunday River trails. Things got mushy as the day wore on, and after noon time, some of the snow was downright sticky. On Borealis, I was running from sunny spots to shady spots and it was sticky in the sunny spots and slick in the shade! Down lower, it was slushy enough that the snow was not sticky, but much more spring like.

No real snow in the forecast, but we are all hoping for a season extending snowstorm to give us some glades and bumps.
Top Gun and SouthPaw probably were not groomed so they were likely "expected" as things soften during the day. Depending when you went buy them, that would be that. They had better have enough snow, SouthPaw is one of the Master of the Mountain Advanced category trails for the event Saturday and Top Gun is an Elite level run.

kbroderick

Top Gun and SouthPaw probably were not groomed so they were likely "expected" as things soften during the day. Depending when you went buy them, that would be that. They had better have enough snow, SouthPaw is one of the Master of the Mountain Advanced category trails for the event Saturday and Top Gun is an Elite level run.

Did Top Gun open either day this weekend?

We skied Southpaw on Saturday and there's a non-trivial ice flow as it turns towards Agony, I'm guessing that may not be something they can readily improve by grooming and warmth and sunlight are necessary. At the time, it was quite skiable, but perhaps not the most friendly way down.

I'm guessing we could see some changes in the trail list for Saturday.

kbroderick

Between weather and work needs, my hope of getting out today to get baseline times for myself on some of the Master of the Mountain runs isn't going to happen. I think the skiing is probably pretty good with the right equipment, based on the layer of heavy stuff in my driveway.

On another note, Bethel is clearly not immune to the hoarding patterns, and the local Facebook group reports that the IGA is out of all but single-roll TP and won't get more until Monday. Some other stores still have some at this point, but if you're planning to buy some for your condo when you get here, you're probably going to be out of luck.

Hawk

Machski, Mac pulled the plug on the SR community board? What happened? Did Monkeybrook and the rest get on him too much? What a baby. If you are going to have strong opinions then you should also have thick skin.

shwilly

It does look more like a rage quit than an unpaid bills situation. Hope he changes his mind!

Things have been such a shit show lately, an entire forum getting nuked fits in with the week.

Saturday was a wind hold day, though people were climbing and skiing White Heat all day. Yesterday was a groomer day with a very weird atmosphere. People kept skiing later than normal for a Sunday afternoon once word went out that it was the last day.

I think the Shwilly family will tie up a few loose ends in the flatlands then distance ourselves up here. With the mountain closed, it's a ghost town even in normal circumstances.

machski

Machski, Mac pulled the plug on the SR community board? What happened? Did Monkeybrook and the rest get on him too much? What a baby. If you are going to have strong opinions then you should also have thick skin.
Yeah, he and MonkeyBrook got into it this morning apparently, then Junior dove in and the whole thing got nuked before I got back from walking my dog! New one is up as DickC said, I'm moderating. I will create a rubber room forum page if needed and move full on battles over to that if the need arises.

downdraft

Yeah, he and MonkeyBrook got into it this morning apparently, then Junior dove in and the whole thing got nuked before I got back from walking my dog! New one is up as DickC said, I'm moderating. I will create a rubber room forum page if needed and move full on battles over to that if the need arises.

Machski,
Thanks for stepping up with the new forum. Much appreciated.