Skiing Sunday River 2019-2020 - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I went skiing today, after all the rain, and was pleasantly surprised. The groomers did a great job with all they had to work with. Any snowmaking trail was in decent shape. Naturals are done. It was thin cover, ice showing thru in some/many places. Crowds were sparce and lines were short. I skied until shortly after 2 PM when some freezing rain came and just continually coated my goggles. It was fun up until then.
    lovin life,

Bob

Happy to see both runs I. Oz getting the Snowmaking goods this week. Having a full Oz for MLK weekend, assuming the quad turns, is awesome. Makes for a great way to avoid any crowds!! (And I enjoy both Eureka and LP when in good shape which they both should be from Snowmaking alone. Fresh natural is icing on the cake). Hope they get to reblowing Shockwave and Vortex too before or over the weekend!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Great conditions out there today. Shockwave, while I don't prefer it groomed, did ski amazing from the groom. Agony was fun, Top Gun and Black Hole were definitely sporting. Quantum Leap was fantastic, wife said both primary Spruce runs were great. But the ROTD had to be Lost Princess. The snow they made there was just sublime. Only bummer of the day? Day one for Oz Quad and it threw a mechanical fit.

Fantastic weekend up at the River. Woods are still a bit boney (core shot to prove it) but we're fun to get back into. Great snowmaking in Oz day before the storm and great snowmaking Sunday night on White Heat and Airglow/Black Hole for Monday morning (they didn't say, but felt like Right Stuff got some too). Didn't expect them to jump back into Snowmaking that quickly, nice treat to close out the long weekend for sure!

A whole lot nicer today than yesterday, crowds were gone. Plenty cold though. Portions of North woods were okay to ski, but everywhere else looked like serious ski abuse. We did 3 runs on Tin Woodsman, which was fun!

Gonna warm up a little bit about now.
    lovin life,

Bob

Did some skiing over the past couple days. The groomers are actually in pretty decent shape. As the day wears on, you'll find more ice and hard scrape, but what a good job they do grooming them out every night.

They are claiming some 120 or so trails open, but many of the non snow making trails (and oz) are open with thin cover. With last night's half inch of snow, you stand little chance of being able to dog rocks and roots. It might have been better with no snow, so you could at least see what's on the trail.

If you like crisp groomers, this week should work out for you.
    lovin life,

Bob

Hit it today! We did a tour from Jordan to White Cap without doing the Barker chair, because my friends always get locked in there when they visit.

Blind Ambition actually wasn’t terrible for the first half, then got crappy. The snow on the right side of Excalibur and Rogue Angel was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Was up there today. Jordan was definitely the place to be. Caramba and Wizards Gulch were in decent shape. Groomers on that side were a bit softer as well. Vortex was surprisingly good. Ungroomed snowmaking trails (such as Top Gun), glades, and even some groomers on the south side of the resort were frozen solid garbage. Best to head to Jordan and stay there right now.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 14
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14

http://2030.sundayriver.com/

Really scratching my head on why install a carpet on Tempest just to replace it. Why would replacing South and North Express take priority over that? Are there inherent issues with those two lifts? They seem perfect for their utilization and roles.

I can see Barker and Jordan going to 6's. What would Aurora get, HSQ or new carpet FGQ? It's a pretty short lift.

Sunday River regulars please learn me.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    http://2030.sundayriver.com/

Really scratching my head on why install a carpet on Tempest just to replace it. Why would replacing South and North Express take priority over that? Are there inherent issues with those two lifts? They seem perfect for their utilization and roles.

I can see Barker and Jordan going to 6's. What would Aurora get, HSQ or new carpet FGQ? It's a pretty short lift.

Sunday River regulars please learn me.
    Confusing to me, too.

I'd imagine Jordan could be relocated to Tempest once it's replaced. Barker has gotta be toast.

Carpets can't be that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it's a way for SR to pat itself on the back without really doing anything. Perhaps the carpet could be reused elsewhere down the line, too.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Thread Information