• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Sunday River 2019-2020

Skrn

Right now the forecast is calling 25-30 mph north wind. Does that mean wind hold? Forgot how well Sunday river is handle wind

machski

Right now the forecast is calling 25-30 mph north wind. Does that mean wind hold? Forgot how well Sunday river is handle wind
That shouldn't kill everything, not sure which day you are talking. If when Chondi is running, that could be susceptible, but the balance of current lifts should be ok.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Was there today. Both black trails had race setups. T2 closed for them and the other was half open. Trails, while tiring out my legs as this was day 5 in a row, were not in great shape but okay. Carvable anyway. Upper cut had some skiable bumps but that trail is only 150 feet long. Other ungroomed was not exactly skiable. No real lift lines unlike the shitty gondola at Loon. PIA with tele gear. Really any gear having to take it off and on.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Was there today. Both black trails had race setups. T2 closed for them and the other was half open. Trails, while tiring out my legs as this was day 5 in a row, were not in great shape but okay. Carvable anyway. Upper cut had some skiable bumps but that trail is only 150 feet long. Other ungroomed was not exactly skiable. No real lift lines unlike the shitty gondola at Loon. PIA with tele gear. Really any gear having to take it off and on.

Welcome to SR, racing comes first. This year, it is exacerbated because of the reduced water flow in the Snowmaking system to date. My wife commented this past weekend as to whether there were more racers/teams than in the past. I said no, it's just they have half the terrain open they would normally have in previous years with similar weather. Really need those new pumps online this weekend!!

Smellytele

Welcome to SR, racing comes first. This year, it is exacerbated because of the reduced water flow in the Snowmaking system to date. My wife commented this past weekend as to whether there were more racers/teams than in the past. I said no, it's just they have half the terrain open they would normally have in previous years with similar weather. Really need those new pumps online this weekend!!

I was surprised that the race team from West Mtn was there practicing from queensbury NY. Long haul to hit gates.

machski

I was surprised that the race team from West Mtn was there practicing from queensbury NY. Long haul to hit gates.

SR the past several years has really pushed early season team training. A couple more years, assuming they do double their Snowmaking from the previous 8K gpm to 16K gpm, I am interested to see if they start early with a race pod and a public pod and then link the middle of them. I've heard that debated, but obviously they have to have the ability to do so first.

Skrn

I can confirm that SR is finally cranking out the snow......everywhere! About time!

Yes, they are doing well playing catch up. The trail count should go up steadily in the next week. Now if they can do a good job not having frequent lift mechanical breakdown, it would be really good

Yes, they are doing well playing catch up. The trail count should go up steadily in the next week. Now if they can do a good job not having frequent lift mechanical breakdown, it would be really good

Yeah, good luck with that wish lol! THE pivotal lift (Barker) was down yet again on Sunday, WTF!!!
Oh, and lets do mention the lack of dining options this weekend due to the racers taking over the Barker lodge, leaving just Southridge cause Whitecap, though open was strckly brown bag (no Shipyard, and no coffee shop. Oh yeah, part of the lodge was full of office furniture and other crap limiting movement and available seating. What about North Peak lodge you ask? Sorry, it was closed as were the bathrooms crying out loud. More examples of horrible management, place just can’t suck enough these days. ������
FWIW, I didn’t spend any $$$ on the mountain this weekend, rather ate a late lunch at the Sunday River Brewery thank you!

Edd

Yeah, feeling the same as you. Peak lodge is set to open the 19th. I'm a brown bagger or eat a late lunch. They have some decent burgers, but $9.00 plus tax? They aren't that good and will likely sell me exactly zero such burgers. If it was $6.00 a burger, they'd likely sell me one a week. I've been to a couple places that don't just stick it to you price wise (Mt Abrams, Ragged).

Respectfully, I’d be thankful for a $9.00 burger at a ski area. That’s dirt cheap.

skiur

Yeah, feeling the same as you. Peak lodge is set to open the 19th. I'm a brown bagger or eat a late lunch. They have some decent burgers, but $9.00 plus tax? They aren't that good and will likely sell me exactly zero such burgers. If it was $6.00 a burger, they'd likely sell me one a week. I've been to a couple places that don't just stick it to you price wise (Mt Abrams, Ragged).

You think $9.00 is expensive for a burger? This is a ski resort, not Mcdonalds......If they were selling $6.00 burgers they would likely be losing money.

Zand

$9 at a ski resort is cheap. I paid $22 for a slice of pizza and bottle of water at Winter Park.

2Planker

Go ahead and call me cheap, LOL!!! I don't care if it is ski resort pricing, $9.00 for a burger, just because it is on mountain is more than I am willing to pay. Throw in some fries with it, I might. I can get lunch at the Brew Pub, on the access road, where a steak and cheese sub with fries is about $10.00 or so (Gotta put a plug in here, one of my favorite meals there). The feeling with the resort is that they don't care if they lose some sales due to high prices, they'll sell enough at those high prices that they'll still do alright.

Since retiring the Patrol jacket after 25 years (and loosing the 50% discount), we do NOT pay for anything...
Hot water is still free, so we bring Oatmeal packs, Ramen Cups, cheese/crackers and sandwiches