• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Sunday River 2019-2020

machski

Go ahead and call me cheap, LOL!!! I don't care if it is ski resort pricing, $9.00 for a burger, just because it is on mountain is more than I am willing to pay. Throw in some fries with it, I might. I can get lunch at the Brew Pub, on the access road, where a steak and cheese sub with fries is about $10.00 or so (Gotta put a plug in here, one of my favorite meals there). The feeling with the resort is that they don't care if they lose some sales due to high prices, they'll sell enough at those high prices that they'll still do alright.
$9 is cheap, based on all the complaining on the NEP FB group on SR food pricing. Actually been hearing a Cheeseburger is running $14 this year just for the sandwich. Based on that, SR's pricing is on par or higher than prices I saw at Vail this weekend. And need I say the quality of offerings at Vail were superior.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

Yeah, feeling the same as you. Peak lodge is set to open the 19th. I'm a brown bagger or eat a late lunch. They have some decent burgers, but $9.00 plus tax? They aren't that good and will likely sell me exactly zero such burgers. If it was $6.00 a burger, they'd likely sell me one a week. I've been to a couple places that don't just stick it to you price wise (Mt Abrams, Ragged).

Cheapest burger at Killington Peak lodge is $17 https://cms.killington.com/sites/killington/files/2019-01/W18-19_Peak_8.5x11.pdf

Orca

Throw some lunch meat, french bread, boursin cheese, bag of favorite chips, a few bananas or clementines or a bunch of grapes, maybe a yogurt, definitely some nice dark chocolate, and gatorade in a soft cooler. Takes five minutes. So easy to do! Toss cooler outside to keep cool. Lunch comes and you grab it and are happily eating quality stuff while the lunch buyers are waiting in the checkout line to overpay for their lousy chicken fingers and a five dollar drink.

Buying food on the mountain is a choice, and a lazy one. The ski areas literally bank on you being lazy. So easy to bring a much better lunch than you can buy. Stop complaining about the prices -- you choose to pay them.

Smellytele

Last time at Sunday river the day before thanksgiving we barbecued in the parking lot. Same for K. Packed lunches the other ski days this year. A few times a year I will eat at a ski area but only by myself or with the wife. I will in Utah on the guys trip.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Heat skied very nice today ungroomed still, but hear the winch cats will be on the prowl tonight. Got up late so only hit Heat, Obsession Heats Off/Cascade Right Stuff, Ecstacy, starlight and roadrunner. Very shocked late in the day Right Stuff skied very nicely still. Good snow to carve in even in the middle of the trail. Ecstacy and Cascade got a recoating. Not the softest or driest stuff but will make it a lot nicer than what was between the piles when groomed out. Not too bad, look forward to stretching out across the resort tomorrow.

prsboogie

Completely random question. What was T72 before it was a park? Only been back to SR a couple times since the 91-92 season and can't remember the landscape like I once did.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

parahelia

It was terrific on Tuesday - best day of the year so far for me. They had gotten a foot or so overnight and it continued to snow throughout the day. We only waited in lines a few times mid-morning; after then everyone seemed to get tired and the place slowly emptied out. They reported 14-16” final total and that sounded about right.

Spent more than half the day lapping Jordan, where they opened Wizards’s Gulch, and traversing to Oz for the newly opened Lost Princess/Tin Woodsman. Not a lot of base but it was great to get back on the natural trails there and elsewhere. Rogue Angel was also a lot of fun - the snowfall on top of snowmaking made for deep loose snow along the sides.

But boy, am I feeling it today!

Fingers crossed the colder trend for the weekend event holds.

7d0077f56b73a64a6236f1446916ef22.jpg
6b8a7b51385a51e31580c9e9ef47024e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

Still great out there today, especially Jordan/Oz which of course is where the crowds are. Jordan quad line looks like most weekends today! Not that I'll complain too much, Ruby Palace my ROTD. Carumba not too bad either.IMG_20200102_122210.jpg

skicub

Insanely busy on 1/2, especially considering vacation period had technically ended. That being said, there were plenty of kids around and I met many people who said they had chosen to come up to SR for the day, or otherwise, because of their storm Pre-NYE.

All considered, still a great day and the crowd spread out decently as the morning turned to noon. Worst of crowds were over at Aurora/Jordan around 11am. Good weather, great snow coverAge, and a multitude of open paths down from the lifts (All the major runs with the exception of Excalibur, Vortex, and top gun) made for a great day despite the crowds.

IMG_5898.jpgIMG_5926.jpg

machski

Happy to see both runs I. Oz getting the Snowmaking goods this week. Having a full Oz for MLK weekend, assuming the quad turns, is awesome. Makes for a great way to avoid any crowds!! (And I enjoy both Eureka and LP when in good shape which they both should be from Snowmaking alone. Fresh natural is icing on the cake). Hope they get to reblowing Shockwave and Vortex too before or over the weekend!!

machski

Great conditions out there today. Shockwave, while I don't prefer it groomed, did ski amazing from the groom. Agony was fun, Top Gun and Black Hole were definitely sporting. Quantum Leap was fantastic, wife said both primary Spruce runs were great. But the ROTD had to be Lost Princess. The snow they made there was just sublime. Only bummer of the day? Day one for Oz Quad and it threw a mechanical fit.

machski

Fantastic weekend up at the River. Woods are still a bit boney (core shot to prove it) but we're fun to get back into. Great snowmaking in Oz day before the storm and great snowmaking Sunday night on White Heat and Airglow/Black Hole for Monday morning (they didn't say, but felt like Right Stuff got some too). Didn't expect them to jump back into Snowmaking that quickly, nice treat to close out the long weekend for sure!

Edd

Hit it today! We did a tour from Jordan to White Cap without doing the Barker chair, because my friends always get locked in there when they visit.

Blind Ambition actually wasn’t terrible for the first half, then got crappy. The snow on the right side of Excalibur and Rogue Angel was fun.

Zand

Was up there today. Jordan was definitely the place to be. Caramba and Wizards Gulch were in decent shape. Groomers on that side were a bit softer as well. Vortex was surprisingly good. Ungroomed snowmaking trails (such as Top Gun), glades, and even some groomers on the south side of the resort were frozen solid garbage. Best to head to Jordan and stay there right now.

Newpylong

http://2030.sundayriver.com/

Really scratching my head on why install a carpet on Tempest just to replace it. Why would replacing South and North Express take priority over that? Are there inherent issues with those two lifts? They seem perfect for their utilization and roles.

I can see Barker and Jordan going to 6's. What would Aurora get, HSQ or new carpet FGQ? It's a pretty short lift.

Sunday River regulars please learn me.