• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Ski Area Drives for Impatient People

bdfreetuna

Hmm you seem to be implying that you allowed to exceed the speed limit if you pass someone when there is a broken yellow line ? Surely you can get ticketed in any situation if you exceed the speed limit ?

That's correct, but a lot of Vermonters drive slow AF (I consider it a defining characteristic of the state) so you have plenty of legal opportunities to take advantage of this.

ghughes20

The NY Thru way is a pain coming out of the NYC area, but once you get to Albany and have to pass thru Troy (Rt. 7) - man, that's a nightmare. Friday nights are brutal with local traffic, shopping centers, only two lanes, slow trucks, countless skiers heading to S. VT. Ugh.

machski

Isnt it technically the same for any legal passing area in any state though?
No, in a dashed yellow passing zone (IE, single lane and you are passing in the opposite direction lane) you are allowed some leeway to complete a pass quickly to minimize time in the opposite direction lane (in NH anyway). I think I remember that and in fact have gone by police just after completing a pass and still slowing back to the posted limit and never been stopped (NH or any other state). That said I only add 20 which is what I recall. But my driver Ed was almost 30 years ago now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

skiur

No, in a dashed yellow passing zone (IE, single lane and you are passing in the opposite direction lane) you are allowed to be up to 20 MPH over the limit during the pass (in NH anyway). The reason for that is that you are passing in the oncoming lane so you are allowed to be faster to minimize your time in that opposite lane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

That is not true in VT.

nhskier1969

Everyone is talking about Vermont. Have you ever been behind a logging truck going to Sugarloaf. The Loaf is 3/4 back rounds and is by far the worst drive to a ski area.

kingslug

Want the all time worst drive ever possible..trans canada hwy in a snowstorm..3 hours sandwiched between 2 loggong trucks going 60 mph...that one killed me..much drinking needed to come down from that...

skifree

Everyone is talking about Vermont. Have you ever been behind a logging truck going to Sugarloaf. The Loaf is 3/4 back rounds and is by far the worst drive to a ski area.

I prefer being behind the logging trucks . When they are hauling ass right at you is very intense.

WWF-VT

Friday afternoon traffic getting out of the Boston suburbs stuck in traffic. I'll take the slow roads in VT over sitting on 128 or 495 or 93 or Rt 3.

We learned a long time ago to have an early dinner at home and get on the road after 6:30 PM to avoid Rt 128 / Rte 3 traffic on Friday

bigbob

Killington is the drive with the highest likelihood of getting stuck behind slow drivers.

Smuggs is the mountain that's the biggest PITA to get to overall. Whiteface is up there too. Hmm, forgot about Sugarloaf and Saddleback..

Zand, I had no clue about that double yellow Vermont passing law until now. I will be taking advantage of that for sure!
Coming from the east on Rt 4 double line passing is pretty much banned. Signs are posted.

machski

Between White River and Killington on RT4 can be awful.
Not only that, that portion of RTE 4 has to be the only sretch of primary resort connection road that has actually DEGRADED in the last several decades instead of being improved upon. I remember driving to K/Pico as a kid in High School in the early 90's. 4 had so much more designated passing zones, it was all 50 MPH where it's 45 now and the road was in much better pavement shape. Kind of sad for the largest and still most popular resort in New England.

Zand

Had to use Route 4 a lot during my LSC years. Don't miss that ride. 103/100 to Killington usually aren't bad to me. Chester and Ludlow are the only towns that take more than 30 seconds to drive through. Also seems like way less people doing 20 mph under the speed limit between towns on those roads unlike the clientele that drive Rt 4 to Woodstock and Quechee.

I will add Saddleback to my list. I know it's really not much further off the highway than SR or Sugarloaf but Rt 4 f*cking blows and seems to go on forever compared to Rt 26 to SR or the Waterville route to Sugarloaf. There's something about Route Fours I guess.

Also not a fan of Rt 16 in NH from Portsmouth pretty much all the way to Glen. But I almost never go to the MWV anyway so I guess that's moot to me.

Newpylong

Not only that, that portion of RTE 4 has to be the only sretch of primary resort connection road that has actually DEGRADED in the last several decades instead of being improved upon. I remember driving to K/Pico as a kid in High School in the early 90's. 4 had so much more designated passing zones, it was all 50 MPH where it's 45 now and the road was in much better pavement shape. Kind of sad for the largest and still most popular resort in New England.

The explosion of yuppy tourists in Woodstock doesn't help getting through there either!

Smellytele

Made the lovely drive through Woodstock to Rutland and back for work today.
The most depressing part of the whole drive is Mendon. That strip from Pico down should just all be burned to the ground and let Mother Nature start over.
On the way back I was cranking out some rage against the machine with the windows down coming through Woodstock. Yuppies in full bloom as there was a farmers’ market on the green. Bus loading up some gray hairs as well.
Hate route 4 but today wasn’t bad. No campers or priuses back things up. No old rusted out trucks with their beds falling off either. Speed limit seems to be posted lower as sections that were 50 are now 45.

machski

If it was located in NH a bypass would have been built 30 years ago.
Or even ME. I like to compare that part of a K drive from NH to ME-26 to SR. 26 once was horrible as well, no passing zones, multiple towns. Today, 26 has had so many upgraded passing lanes, bypassed Gray, still some upgrade work finishing between Woodstock and Greenwood. 4 meanwhile from 89 to K......

bigbob

Or even ME. I like to compare that part of a K drive from NH to ME-26 to SR. 26 once was horrible as well, no passing zones, multiple towns. Today, 26 has had so many upgraded passing lanes, bypassed Gray, still some upgrade work finishing between Woodstock and Greenwood. 4 meanwhile from 89 to K......
Upgrades on Rt 26 in ME were for the Poland Spring trucks for climbing lanes, but it is a nice road now. Rt 26 needs a bypass around Norway/South Paris to complete.