• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big storm coming???

mister moose

K got only 4". Maybe I should hit Mt Snow tomorrow and then head up to K.

K is reporting storm total of 8", I had 3" yesterday at 1800', and 3.5" this am. Better than 4, plus there was actually a "base" under it. Ropes dropped on North Star, Royal Fush, Double Dipper, Downdraft, Conclusion. Not the jack pot some got though, more in my driveway at home than here.

tnt1234

Typical house stuff...no biggie. The vent has been getting a little loud so I'm not surprised it gave up.

Somethings going on at Belle and I suspect it's Bruce Transue. I think he was sent to Belle by Hunter to screw things up. Frankly his season opening strategy (if you can call it that) is awful. And his bump (or more accurately no bumps) policy stinks. They have devoted zero snowmaking to steeper terrain and just blew some snow on upper Wanatuska a day or two ago. One lousy half black diamond trail open and if you want to ski it you then have to take Iroquois Road back to the bottom of the gondola.

Really just totally pathetic. And now they're going to waste this 23" snowfall because it fell mostly on dirt. I was thinking of going there tomorrow but now I think I will go to K for 2 days Wed Thurs.

If the 6 pack wasn't down, I would suggest you go to Hunter. Seems like they got the goods, and had a fair effort at expanding terrain underway. Should be good skiing there....

That's a real drag about Bell.

I'm planning on skiing this weekend, and just can't zero in on where. Bell would be the easy choice if I thought they would open up some fun stuff, but it doesn't look like it. Could even spend the night somewhere friday to increase my range, but just not sure it will be worth it. Would gladly do that for Platty, but not sure what will be open...

What do you mean 'no bumps' policy? That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

kingslug

Even with the 6 down its still good. B lift to F then just ride the F all day and mix in some B to F here and there. The only thing you miss now at the bottom is Kennedy and Eisenhower..but this could change. Bell has nothing right now.

tnt1234

Even with the 6 down its still good. B lift to F then just ride the F all day and mix in some B to F here and there. The only thing you miss now at the bottom is Kennedy and Eisenhower..but this could change. Bell has nothing right now.

Weren't you just there? Does the new expansion pod look close?

cdskier

That's a real drag about Bell.

I'm planning on skiing this weekend, and just can't zero in on where. Bell would be the easy choice if I thought they would open up some fun stuff, but it doesn't look like it. Could even spend the night somewhere friday to increase my range, but just not sure it will be worth it. Would gladly do that for Platty, but not sure what will be open...

From Belleayre's recent Facebook post:

"It is snow much fun out there today with almost 2 feet of natural snow! The ropes have fallen on Wanatuska from top to bottom and rumor has it more terrain and lifts will be open tomorrow. Visit the Snow Report on belleayre.com for trail and lift updates."

So maybe keep an eye out to see if more opens...

tnt1234

From Belleayre's recent Facebook post:

"It is snow much fun out there today with almost 2 feet of natural snow! The ropes have fallen on Wanatuska from top to bottom and rumor has it more terrain and lifts will be open tomorrow. Visit the Snow Report on belleayre.com for trail and lift updates."

So maybe keep an eye out to see if more opens...

It's just kind of crazy. Seems unlikely the natural trails and glades at belleayre EVER have more than 2 feet on them even when open in mid winter!

Feels like the whole mountain should be open.

Cornhead

Seems every season I have to cancel a ski day because of house issues. The power vent on my oil burner crapped out last night and I have no heat. Thankfully my oil burner service company will be here in about 45 minutes to fix it but my ski day today is shot.

That said I can't understand how with 23" of snow Belle shows only 6 trails open. Sure it's on top of dirt but with all that intermediate pitch there must be plenty of snow to ski on. Oh well it'll be a poacher's delight today there!

Oh it was delightful, sorry you missed it, 23"?, Maybe, but all was in play.IMG_20191203_104835959.jpgIMG_20191203_104832569.jpgIMG_20191203_102533790.jpgIMG_20191203_102209890_BURST001.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Was delightful??? The lifts run til 3:30 ya know. Get yer ass back out there!

tnt1234

Wow. That looks nice.

Wonder if it can last until Saturday....

kingslug

Weren't you just there? Does the new expansion pod look close?

Heard some poached it but they could easily open it. 27 inches is a pretty damn good base. But..they didn't appear ready to handle the crowds..they weren't scanning B lift..so they have to gear up for another lift now..and fix the flyer. I guess they weren't expecting a huge storm so early...

tnt1234

Platty now calling it 12-18", says stay tuned for confirmed trail openings.....

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Scottski and I hit Hunter yesterday, excellent day all around...

scott-at-hunter.jpg

scott-hiking-hunter.jpg

nook-and-crannies.jpg

Story here: https://nyskiblog.com/thanksgiving-monday-pow-at-hunter/

abc

Good job you guys did on getting the goods.

I was tempted. But I was worried the road would have been a terrible mess (it was). And my 3 hr drive (rt) could be more like 5.

Call me lazy and soft. I stayed home and worked.

chuckstah

Good job you guys did on getting the goods.

I was tempted. But I was worried the road would have been a terrible mess (it was). And my 3 hr drive (rt) could be more like 5.

Call me lazy and soft. I stayed home and worked.
I failed today. Left my house at sunrise, about 7, made it 4 miles in 45 minutes, and turned around. Southern NH was in a heavy band. Gridlock. Finally stopped around 3 or so. 30 inches where it does no good. Mt Snow would have been nice.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app