• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big storm coming???

Zand

Would Mount Snow really have better skiing tomorrow than Stratton? Trying to make a decision.

Stratton literally doesn't have any good natural trails. Their glades are fun. But the North Face is exponentially better than anything at Stratton.

Simply put, Stratton is on my pass and I decided to pay to go to Mt Snow tomorrow. I never thought I'd say those words.

icecoast1

Would Mount Snow really have better skiing tomorrow than Stratton? Trying to make a decision.

Providing you can actually get to the summit tomorrow with the winds, Mount Snow would be a much better option. Stratton can be fun when they get more open but isnt worth it right now unless you want boring flat groomers

Ol Dirty Noodle

I’ll be at belleayre tomorrow, just checked the webcam and it looks like it’s still dumping there

jaytrem

I'll be there too along with Cornhead.

Mount Snow was great today. Basically skied nothing but NF once they got it open. Crowded for a bit, then they opened the 2nd chair. Didn't need it too long, afternoon lines were short. Should be nice tomorrow too as long as the winds don't shut down the summit. Wind was blowing striaght up the front and was really howling around 3:30 when we headed down Lodge.

JimG.

Staff member
I'll be there too along with Cornhead.

Seems every season I have to cancel a ski day because of house issues. The power vent on my oil burner crapped out last night and I have no heat. Thankfully my oil burner service company will be here in about 45 minutes to fix it but my ski day today is shot.

That said I can't understand how with 23" of snow Belle shows only 6 trails open. Sure it's on top of dirt but with all that intermediate pitch there must be plenty of snow to ski on. Oh well it'll be a poacher's delight today there!

tnt1234

Seems every season I have to cancel a ski day because of house issues. The power vent on my oil burner crapped out last night and I have no heat. Thankfully my oil burner service company will be here in about 45 minutes to fix it but my ski day today is shot.

That said I can't understand how with 23" of snow Belle shows only 6 trails open. Sure it's on top of dirt but with all that intermediate pitch there must be plenty of snow to ski on. Oh well it'll be a poacher's delight today there!

Bad news about the house.

I felt the same way this morning - should be more trails open.....hell, even the diamond trails there only have one steep pitch really....I would think most of that mountain is skiable right now. I guess with a little traffic, you would be down to dirt pretty quick though.

tnt1234

Anyone have any info on Platty re: snow totals and Saturday plan?

JimG.

Staff member
Bad news about the house.

I felt the same way this morning - should be more trails open.....hell, even the diamond trails there only have one steep pitch really....I would think most of that mountain is skiable right now. I guess with a little traffic, you would be down to dirt pretty quick though.

Typical house stuff...no biggie. The vent has been getting a little loud so I'm not surprised it gave up.

Somethings going on at Belle and I suspect it's Bruce Transue. I think he was sent to Belle by Hunter to screw things up. Frankly his season opening strategy (if you can call it that) is awful. And his bump (or more accurately no bumps) policy stinks. They have devoted zero snowmaking to steeper terrain and just blew some snow on upper Wanatuska a day or two ago. One lousy half black diamond trail open and if you want to ski it you then have to take Iroquois Road back to the bottom of the gondola.

Really just totally pathetic. And now they're going to waste this 23" snowfall because it fell mostly on dirt. I was thinking of going there tomorrow but now I think I will go to K for 2 days Wed Thurs.

bdfreetuna

Hunter- 27"
Mount Snow- 23"
Bellayre- 23"
Stratton- 22"??
Jiminy Peak- 21"
Berkshire East (from their FB becasue their snow report has always been atrocious)- 20"+

Wachusett says 20" too
Pats Peak 12"
Gore 7"

Perfect early season storm for a Western MA skier looking for easy day trips..