• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opinion: Best run(s) at Sugarbush

bdfreetuna

But the question is - did you hit Tuna speed?

He already told you 44mph on a freshly groomed Ripcord... the answer is no. Unless the wind was blowing uphill limiting speed. Tuna Speed is going as fast as you can within limits (assuming you actually can ski fast).

Orca

To the subject at hand:
Best trail with the worst name --> Black Diamond (you can leave out the "Rush")
Best to rip bumps like a hero --> Morningstar
Best overall classic run --> Bravo - Encore (lots of vert, good names)
Best trail that used to have some trees --> Tumbler
Best run that is under-utilized/under-appreciated --> Lower Castlerock Run
Best name conversion from Glen Ellen to SB --> High Road becomes Exterminator (worst- see "Black Diamond")
Best classic run not on Castlerock --> Paradise (has a nice Fall Line at MRG feel to it)
Trail that I have the hardest time skiing by without taking --> Moonshine.

Spot on

CastlerockMRV

add a few more

Bear
Tres Amigos
The Mother
Three Sisters
Cat's Paw
Nottingham

Just when I think I've got a good grasp on most of the unnamed lines.... I see about 5 in here between yours and Hawks list that I'm unfamiliar with. More to learn and more to explore! Love it!!

shipyardcreek

A few more:
Connie's
Slip 'n Slide
Emerald Forest
Forbidden Forrest
Valerie's
Huey's
Annie's Cherry
and my favorite LoR

AbominableSnowman

Either you are making those up or you have renamed existing runs. I have been around a long time and have skied with most of the people who created and named the runs. I have never heard of any of these.

I cannot speak to the other names, yet "Monkey's Paw" very definitely exists and is the name that has been used for that particular "trail" at least since the 90's.....

1dog

Must you share L Castlerock ?
Snipers at entrance will hopefully take out the seekers . . .

Sucks there - don't go - water bars, rocks and barely enough snow to cover ground.

List is near perfect - and see how more ( by 1) are at Mellon?

Idea: Remove all tree skiing entrance signs. More than enough people know now - more than enough.

flakeydog

Few more...

Best bumps not at North --> Spillsville (Mall right behind)
Best route to HG not involving Downspout --> Domino
Alternative to best overall classic run --> Exterminator to Tumbler (Bonus- Upper Bravo to Lower Ext over to tumbler)
Run you would be least likely to find yourself on --> Southbound
Best chance of a "free stone grind" on a run --> Hammerhead (upper)
Acreage booster award --> Upper Crackerjack
Still hanging in there --> Snowflake
Funnest trail hidden in plain sight --> Lower Birdland
"Jekyll and Hyde" award --> Organgrinder, then FIS
Trail I will always ski no matter how old I get --> Sleeper (even when it is swarming with kids)

Yes, lots of love for Mt Ellen, tall and lots of directly accessible vertical, and no crowds. Not a ton of Castlerock on the list, I love Castlerock but if there is a significant line, I simply go elsewhere. Where, you ask? See the list...

mikec142

Trail I will always ski no matter how old I get --> Sleeper (even when it is swarming with kids)

Completely with you on this one. It's been a favorite for years. I love a warm up of Birch Run -> Hot Shot -> Sleeper

p_levert

Few more...

Funnest trail hidden in plain sight --> Lower Birdland

I cited Lower Birdland way back on page 1. After all these pages, you're the only other person to mention it.

But I think you've just identified the problem. The trail is a blast with a goofy cross-slope and good rhythm to the moguls. But it doesn't look like fun from the lift. It looks like something stupid, and a good way to scratch up your skis.

bdfreetuna

I cited Lower Birdland way back on page 1. After all these pages, you're the only other person to mention it.

But I think you've just identified the problem. The trail is a blast with a goofy cross-slope and good rhythm to the moguls. But it doesn't look like fun from the lift. It looks like something stupid, and a good way to scratch up your skis.

The scratching and scraping sounds have deterred me more than once. And when I have skied it after hearing those sounds, it lived up to my icy expectations.

Edit: I guess that's Upper Birdland I was thinking. I always ski Lower Birdland... nice bumps and I like that funky fall line. Dumps you to the left but there's a couple spots to hang right and get a better fall line.

Edit again: I guess that's Murphey's Glade I was thinking about as "Upper Birdland" before. Luckily I have a Sugarbush trail map hung on my living room wall to easily reference. (wife let me put 4 trail maps up as part of redecorating lol)

Slidebrook87

Looking forward to skiing Moonshine this weekend. That’s an awesome trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteezyRob

Bump because I enjoyed this thread:

[] Favorite Overall Trail: Rumble
It's really cool and refreshingly technical for a trail.
[] Marked woods: Anything off of NRX
Most tight and tech woods, and I like the pine trees better anyway.
[] Early Morning Run: Snowball -> Spring Fling
The sunrise is nice.
[] Slushy Springtime Fun: Stein's
I always like the last bit coming around onto Coffee run.
[] Trail I will never willingly ski: Jester
They should have built trails going down the fall line instead.. how cool would that be?
[] Area I would not recommend exploring: Skier's right of Village Run
haha no

I like the idea of calling the ME trails by their old names.. like Scotch Mist.

Glad to see some names I don't recognize. Well I guess I'll be spending some time in Slide Brook.. I won't mind though, I guess I'm weird in that I enjoy bushwacking.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Fun bump, Steezy.

My picks will be very ME oriented. In the six years I spent at Sugarbush, I logged more than 300 days at ME, and probably only about 25 at LP. Keep in mind my perspective is from 2005-2011. Haven't made it back since.

Favorite Overall Run: Tumbler - really enjoyed the unique character of each mini headwall, and usually had some good bump lines

Most Underrated: Semi Tough - When the snow is good, it's a ton of fun

Most Overrated: FIS. Yeah, it's steep. But the snow was often miserable, the bump lines were irregular, and the sudden perpendicular merge with Rim Run can be awkward. I imagine it was much better in its original form with the turn at the bottom to merge. Oh, and it's absolute shite when groomed.

Best Combo Run: Elbravonator to Tumbler. Couple of quick warmup turns on Elbow, cut across to enjoy the steep rocky chunk of Bravo, pop over for a few nice bumps on Exterminator, then zoom across Wayback and finish things out with Tumbler (always remember to throw a massive spread eagle at the final breakover before it runs out to Times Square)

Best Bump Lines: Depended on the season. When we left Cliffs with natural snow and no grooming, there were some spectacular lines. But otherwise, Exterminator.

Best Low Angle Bumps: We used to leave skiers' left of Lookin' Good ungroomed, and there were some fantastic bumps there. Hero bumps.

Best Cruising: Elbow

Best Views: Panorama (duh)

Best Beginner Skiing: Sugar Run

Favorite Run to Groom: Elbow - loved the almost silvery shine after grooming Elbow. Fun tying it into spread eagle, way back, cruiser, etc.

Least Favorite Run to Groom: Inverness. Hard snow, up, down, up, down, yo yo, yo yo, blow a hydraulic line on the winch, sit around, get it fixed, yo yo some more, blech

Favorite Run at LP: Twist