• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opinion: Best run(s) at Sugarbush

Slidebrook87

Semi tough or brambles is probably my favorite at mount Ellen, paradise or castle rock run are probably my favorites at Lincoln. I don’t think I had ever skied brambles until wwf-vt took me down there a couple years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m surprised that so many people also like Semi Tough! It’s truly a hidden gem that’s quite fun to ski.

Slidebrook87

You just gotta get you some Reverse Traverse

Ha! I would’ve thought that they would’ve flattened it out back in 2015 when they built the Valley House Quad. It’s quite the hike just to get over to Murphy’s and Heaven’s Gate.

Zand

My best runs at Sugarbush are LCR at South and Semi-Tough or (upper) Brambles at North.... both for the same reason. They see the least amount of traffic. Most who head down CR head for Cotillion or if they stick it out on LCR, they take Bailout. Brambles is rarely open to the public, but when it is, the top half is superb.

There are some great powder day runs I try to hit... Semi-Tough and Tumbler or Hammerhead at North. At south, Moonshine and Twist.

I still have never attempted Lift Line (at CR) or Rumble. I've done Black Diamond once or twice and Upper FIS a few times. Something about the cliffs and ledges on Upper Lift Line that steers me away every time. I can have more fun on CR, Cotillion, and Middle Earth.

Rumble's toughness is overrated. Theres no mandatory air or anything like that. Not much steeper than CR or ME. Very narrow obviously but nothing that keeps you from turning. If you were good with BD and FIS then you're fine on Rumble.

Tonyr

The hardest part of Rumble is the drop in at the first part of the trail. I've noticed that it can be skied around but that's cheating! The hardest part of Liftline can be skied around too. I agree that if you can ski Black Diamond rush than you can ski Rumble. I remember getting down Black Diamond rush thinking that it wasn't much less difficult than Rumble. Atleast on Rumble there is no one watching you from the lifts above.

Tony

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

The hardest part of Rumble...

Rumble and Robins Run @ Smuggs are pretty similar IMO. By "similar", they still both rank as a couple of the most unique challenging runs in the East. Trails to avoid on icy days for sure. Preacher at Bolton Valley too but not quite as long (probably narrower though).

This past spring in early April Rumble skied so good I lapped it. If it's windblown or sketchy I'll pass. To me the narrowness makes it more inviting than Castlerock Lift Line. There be tree skiing to the left hand skiers side as well.

I also really like Upper/Lower Twist and The Mall for spring moguls.

cdskier

The hardest part of Rumble is the drop in at the first part of the trail. I've noticed that it can be skied around but that's cheating! The hardest part of Liftline can be skied around too. I agree that if you can ski Black Diamond rush than you can ski Rumble. I remember getting down Black Diamond rush thinking that it wasn't much less difficult than Rumble. Atleast on Rumble there is no one watching you from the lifts above.

You might be the only person that I've seen use the full name for Black Diamond. Out of curiosity, do you refer to Ripcord, Twist, and Cruiser using their full names as well or is there something unique about Black Diamond that makes you use it there?

Slidebrook87

You might be the only person that I've seen use the full name for Black Diamond. Out of curiosity, do you refer to Ripcord, Twist, and Cruiser using their full names as well or is there something unique about Black Diamond that makes you use it there?

I know the question is not directed at me, but I thought I’d chime in. I call Black Diamond Rush and Lixi’s Twist by their full names, but not Sigi’s Ripcord and Joe’s Cruiser.

Tonyr

Isn't Black Diamond rush the full name of the run listed on the trail map, or is it just "un-cool" to use the trail's actual name?

WWF-VT

Isn't Black Diamond rush the full name of the run listed on the trail map, or is it just "un-cool" to use the trail's actual name?

In 20+ years of skiing at Sugarbush I have never heard anyone call that trail anything but Black Diamond

cdskier

Yes (although the "Rush" was only added a few years ago). But the full name of Ripcord on the trail map is "Sigi's Ripcord". Twist is "Lixi's Twist". Cruiser is "Joe's Cruiser". You rarely hear anyone call any of those by their full names either. Hence my question if you do that for all them or if Black Diamond was special for some reason.

cdskier

In 20+ years of skiing at Sugarbush I have never heard anyone call that trail anything but Black Diamond

I'm wondering if Tony is a newer Sugarbush skier. The "Rush" was only added a few years ago to honor Warren Miller.

Edit: Or not as I just did a quick search and apparently it was changed a long time ago but then possibly the "rush" was dropped at some point... I swear I remember some sort of dedication ceremony recently where they made a big deal about adding the "Rush" (maybe even right after Warren Miller died). Didn't realize that wasn't the first time though.

Last edited:

Tonyr

Well you get credit for a good time frame. Its 20 years this season that the trail has been named Black Diamond Rush!

Tony

Last edited:

cdskier

Well you get credit for a good time frame. Its 20 years this season that the trail has named Black Diamond Rush!

Tony

It first appeared on trail maps in 1999. That only lasted 4 years though. In 2003 the name on the maps had reverted to "Black Diamond". The "Rush" did not re-appear until the 2017-2018 trail map.

Interestingly enough, Twist, Ripcord, and Cruiser as far as I can tell never had the full names until the 2017-2018 map. So now I'm wondering how the heck I knew the full names of those trails all these years.

Tonyr

It first appeared on trail maps in 1999. That only lasted 4 years though. In 2003 the name on the maps had reverted to "Black Diamond". The "Rush" did not re-appear until the 2017-2018 trail map.

Interestingly enough, Twist, Ripcord, and Cruiser as far as I can tell never had the full names until the 2017-2018 map. So now I'm wondering how the heck I knew the full names of those trails all these years.

It would be interesting to know the back story of the name changes to, from, than back to Rush. In any event, it's one of the best runs at Sugarbush.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I believe the original Black DIamond Rush name change in the late 1990s was because of a Warren Miller film that was partially shot at the 'Bush. As stated above, the 'Rush" was later removed, then added just a couple years ago in honor of Warren Miller.

While Ripcord retained (may still retain) it's pre-naming designation, Joe's Cruiser and Lixi's Twist was on trail signs "in the field" several years before the name was changed on the trail maps.

Keelhauled

Rush, no rush, who cares, we all know Scotch Mist is the real name.

But really, Glen Ellen had some wonderfully named trails.

Tonyr

Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!

Slidebrook87

Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!

It's been a while since that name appeared. It's surprising that they'd change it to a name as generic as black diamond.