• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opinion: Best run(s) at Sugarbush

HowieT2

I find the lines on black diamond are better formed than those on upper FIS. The latter can have some funky shapes.

As for favorite trails. I dont know, depends on conditions. Ripcord in the morning with a foot of untouched blower is pretty sweet. Later in the day after getting scraped clean, not so favorite.

Slidebrook87

I find the lines on black diamond are better formed than those on upper FIS. The latter can have some funky shapes.

As for favorite trails. I dont know, depends on conditions. Ripcord in the morning with a foot of untouched blower is pretty sweet. Later in the day after getting scraped clean, not so favorite.

It's downright scary skiing Ripcord at the end of the day. The steep pitch with sheets of ice and no moguls to slow you down, it's not a pleasant experience. Same thing goes for Steins. I love skiing Ripcord first thing in the morning when it's freshly groomed. I hit 44 mph once on it when it was freshly groomed. It's worth waiting for first chair on Heaven's Gate for sure.

rocks860

I skied ripcord sometime in the last couple years where there was some insane fog and a lot of loose snow and icy patches, it was absolutely terrifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks860

I’m also a big fan of lower fis, apart from the runout

WinS

I believe the original Black DIamond Rush name change in the late 1990s was because of a Warren Miller film that was partially shot at the 'Bush. As stated above, the 'Rush" was later removed, then added just a couple years ago in honor of Warren Miller.

While Ripcord retained (may still retain) it's pre-naming designation, Joe's Cruiser and Lixi's Twist was on trail signs "in the field" several years before the name was changed on the trail maps.

We added Sigi to Ripcord in honor of Sigi Grottendorfer, the long time Director of the Ski School. I think we did it at our 50th anniversary celebration when he was here. I forgot exactly when Lixi was added to Twist but it too honors Lixi Fortna who essentially ran everything but mountain operations for the Gadds. Joe's Cruiser was names in honor or Joe Parkinson, the former Mountain Manager. Shadyjay is correct about Rush and Scotch Mist was indeed the original names given to it by Walter Elliot.

Last edited:

WinS

I got on to Middle Earth last year thinking it would be a breather from skiing Rumble and Liftline. Other than the start, the whole run is a sea of non stop moguls, it kind of reminded me of a tighter version of Outer limits at Killington. I'm still not sure why they haven't rated all the runs at the top of Castlerock double blacks, maybe Win could answer that one.........

I do not believe we have changed any of the trail designation since owning Sugarbush. It is a bit subjective whether a trail is a black or a double black. Double Blacks are clearly for "no fall" trails meaning that one could slide a long way with a fall such as Stein's or Ripcord. But they can also designate a technically more challenging trail like a Rumble.

Slidebrook87

I do not believe we have changed any of the trail designation since owning Sugarbush. It is a bit subjective whether a trail is a black or a double black. Double Blacks are clearly for "no fall" trails meaning that one could slide a long way with a fall such as Stein's or Ripcord. But they can also designate a technically more challenging trail like a Rumble.

Interesting point about the “no fall” designation. I think that just the name Castlerock makes any trail automatically a level harder than it already is!

Smellytele

It's downright scary skiing Ripcord at the end of the day. The steep pitch with sheets of ice and no moguls to slow you down, it's not a pleasant experience. Same thing goes for Steins. I love skiing Ripcord first thing in the morning when it's freshly groomed. I hit 44 mph once on it when it was freshly groomed. It's worth waiting for first chair on Heaven's Gate for sure.

But the question is - did you hit Tuna speed?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!

I always thought that would make a great April 1 prank, to change all the trail signs at Mt Ellen to their pre-Sugarbush names (using some overlay as to not damage the existing signs). But Mt Ellen was always targeted for closure the last weekend in March.

Which Way is probably the one trail that has had more names than others... its Glen Ellen name, Which Way, Sid, Godzilla, and back to Which Way.

Slidebrook87

I always thought that would make a great April 1 prank, to change all the trail signs at Mt Ellen to their pre-Sugarbush names (using some overlay as to not damage the existing signs). But Mt Ellen was always targeted for closure the last weekend in March.

Which Way is probably the one trail that has had more names than others... its Glen Ellen name, Which Way, Sid, Godzilla, and back to Which Way.

I always thought it was kind of odd that Godzilla was a double black. Sure it's an extreme terrain park, but the pitch was still mild and there was most likely a way to ski around the features.

Orca

lets see:
Greg's Poop Shoot
Vertical Reality
Deep Pocket
Outer Banks
Apple Orchard

;-)

add a few more

Bear
Tres Amigos
The Mother
Three Sisters
Cat's Paw
Nottingham

Hawk

Cabbage Patch
Spice Rack
Road House
Monkey's Paw
Esmerelda
Plain View

Either you are making those up or you have renamed existing runs. I have been around a long time and have skied with most of the people who created and named the runs. I have never heard of any of these.

flakeydog

Don't forget these classics:
Salad Shooter
Stank Wagon
Turkey Leg
and my fav- Colonblow

I have skied with some over the years that seem to have a name for every bump, rock and tree on the mountain and would cite them regularly. To each his own I guess, I usually just ski and enjoy the scenery on my way down.

To the subject at hand:
Best trail with the worst name --> Black Diamond (you can leave out the "Rush")
Best to rip bumps like a hero --> Morningstar
Best overall classic run --> Bravo - Encore (lots of vert, good names)
Best trail that used to have some trees --> Tumbler
Best run that is under-utilized/under-appreciated --> Lower Castlerock Run
Best name conversion from Glen Ellen to SB --> High Road becomes Exterminator (worst- see "Black Diamond")
Best classic run not on Castlerock --> Paradise (has a nice Fall Line at MRG feel to it)
Trail that I have the hardest time skiing by without taking --> Moonshine

I could go on but for me "Best" is dependent on a lot of different factors depending what I am in the mood for.

Hawk

Good list Flakeydog. I agree with just about everything you said on the best list.
I would like to think the names I know are probably the original names as they came from the people who actually created them years back. Well in most cases.

Slidebrook87

Don't forget these classics:
Salad Shooter
Stank Wagon
Turkey Leg
and my fav- Colonblow

I have skied with some over the years that seem to have a name for every bump, rock and tree on the mountain and would cite them regularly. To each his own I guess, I usually just ski and enjoy the scenery on my way down.

To the subject at hand:
Best trail with the worst name --> Black Diamond (you can leave out the "Rush")
Best overall classic run --> Bravo - Encore (lots of vert, good names)
Best trail that used to have some trees --> Tumbler
Best run that is under-utilized/under-appreciated --> Lower Castlerock Run
Best name conversion from Glen Ellen to SB --> High Road becomes Exterminator (worst- see "Black Diamond")
Best classic run not on Castlerock --> Paradise (has a nice Fall Line at MRG feel to it)
Trail that I have the hardest time skiing by without taking --> Moonshine

I could go on but for me "Best" is dependent on a lot of different factors depending what I am in the mood for.

I love Moonshine. Certainly and under appreciated run. It's great mogul practice. I've never skied upper Lixi's Twist. How is it? I've only skied lower and that is pretty fun.

Greg

Staff member

Totally underrated. The lines tend to set up awesome on Morningstar. As far as LP goes (which I prefer over Mt Ellen) favorites are Twist, Moonshine, Mall, Spillsville, Paradise, Domino and all of Castlerock.

Domeskier

Either you are making those up or you have renamed existing runs. I have been around a long time and have skied with most of the people who created and named the runs. I have never heard of any of these.

Sorry. I thought the topic had drifted to something else.