Opinion: Best run(s) at Sugarbush - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Isn't Black Diamond rush the full name of the run listed on the trail map, or is it just "un-cool" to use the trail's actual name?
    In 20+ years of skiing at Sugarbush I have never heard anyone call that trail anything but Black Diamond

Isn't Black Diamond rush the full name of the run listed on the trail map, or is it just "un-cool" to use the trail's actual name?
    Yes (although the "Rush" was only added a few years ago). But the full name of Ripcord on the trail map is "Sigi's Ripcord". Twist is "Lixi's Twist". Cruiser is "Joe's Cruiser". You rarely hear anyone call any of those by their full names either. Hence my question if you do that for all them or if Black Diamond was special for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    In 20+ years of skiing at Sugarbush I have never heard anyone call that trail anything but Black Diamond
    I'm wondering if Tony is a newer Sugarbush skier. The "Rush" was only added a few years ago to honor Warren Miller.

Edit: Or not as I just did a quick search and apparently it was changed a long time ago but then possibly the "rush" was dropped at some point... I swear I remember some sort of dedication ceremony recently where they made a big deal about adding the "Rush" (maybe even right after Warren Miller died). Didn't realize that wasn't the first time though.
    Last edited by cdskier; Dec 1, 2019 at 6:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Well you get credit for a good time frame. Its 20 years this season that the trail has been named Black Diamond Rush!

Tony
    Last edited by Tonyr; Dec 1, 2019 at 6:35 PM.

Well you get credit for a good time frame. Its 20 years this season that the trail has named Black Diamond Rush!

Tony
    It first appeared on trail maps in 1999. That only lasted 4 years though. In 2003 the name on the maps had reverted to "Black Diamond". The "Rush" did not re-appear until the 2017-2018 trail map.

Interestingly enough, Twist, Ripcord, and Cruiser as far as I can tell never had the full names until the 2017-2018 map. So now I'm wondering how the heck I knew the full names of those trails all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    It first appeared on trail maps in 1999. That only lasted 4 years though. In 2003 the name on the maps had reverted to "Black Diamond". The "Rush" did not re-appear until the 2017-2018 trail map.

Interestingly enough, Twist, Ripcord, and Cruiser as far as I can tell never had the full names until the 2017-2018 map. So now I'm wondering how the heck I knew the full names of those trails all these years.
    It would be interesting to know the back story of the name changes to, from, than back to Rush. In any event, it's one of the best runs at Sugarbush.

I believe the original Black DIamond Rush name change in the late 1990s was because of a Warren Miller film that was partially shot at the 'Bush. As stated above, the 'Rush" was later removed, then added just a couple years ago in honor of Warren Miller.

While Ripcord retained (may still retain) it's pre-naming designation, Joe's Cruiser and Lixi's Twist was on trail signs "in the field" several years before the name was changed on the trail maps.

Rush, no rush, who cares, we all know Scotch Mist is the real name.

But really, Glen Ellen had some wonderfully named trails.

Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!

Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!
    It's been a while since that name appeared. It's surprising that they'd change it to a name as generic as black diamond.

Thread Information