Opinion: Best run(s) at Sugarbush - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    I find the lines on black diamond are better formed than those on upper FIS. The latter can have some funky shapes.

As for favorite trails. I dont know, depends on conditions. Ripcord in the morning with a foot of untouched blower is pretty sweet. Later in the day after getting scraped clean, not so favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I find the lines on black diamond are better formed than those on upper FIS. The latter can have some funky shapes.

As for favorite trails. I dont know, depends on conditions. Ripcord in the morning with a foot of untouched blower is pretty sweet. Later in the day after getting scraped clean, not so favorite.
    It's downright scary skiing Ripcord at the end of the day. The steep pitch with sheets of ice and no moguls to slow you down, it's not a pleasant experience. Same thing goes for Steins. I love skiing Ripcord first thing in the morning when it's freshly groomed. I hit 44 mph once on it when it was freshly groomed. It's worth waiting for first chair on Heaven's Gate for sure.

I skied ripcord sometime in the last couple years where there was some insane fog and a lot of loose snow and icy patches, it was absolutely terrifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m also a big fan of lower fis, apart from the runout

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    I believe the original Black DIamond Rush name change in the late 1990s was because of a Warren Miller film that was partially shot at the 'Bush. As stated above, the 'Rush" was later removed, then added just a couple years ago in honor of Warren Miller.

While Ripcord retained (may still retain) it's pre-naming designation, Joe's Cruiser and Lixi's Twist was on trail signs "in the field" several years before the name was changed on the trail maps.
    We added Sigi to Ripcord in honor of Sigi Grottendorfer, the long time Director of the Ski School. I think we did it at our 50th anniversary celebration when he was here. I forgot exactly when Lixi was added to Twist but it too honors Lixi Fortna who essentially ran everything but mountain operations for the Gadds. Joe's Cruiser was names in honor or Joe Parkinson, the former Mountain Manager. Shadyjay is correct about Rush and Scotch Mist was indeed the original names given to it by Walter Elliot.
    Last edited by WinS; Dec 2, 2019 at 2:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    I got on to Middle Earth last year thinking it would be a breather from skiing Rumble and Liftline. Other than the start, the whole run is a sea of non stop moguls, it kind of reminded me of a tighter version of Outer limits at Killington. I'm still not sure why they haven't rated all the runs at the top of Castlerock double blacks, maybe Win could answer that one.........
    I do not believe we have changed any of the trail designation since owning Sugarbush. It is a bit subjective whether a trail is a black or a double black. Double Blacks are clearly for "no fall" trails meaning that one could slide a long way with a fall such as Stein's or Ripcord. But they can also designate a technically more challenging trail like a Rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    I do not believe we have changed any of the trail designation since owning Sugarbush. It is a bit subjective whether a trail is a black or a double black. Double Blacks are clearly for "no fall" trails meaning that one could slide a long way with a fall such as Stein's or Ripcord. But they can also designate a technically more challenging trail like a Rumble.
    Interesting point about the “no fall” designation. I think that just the name Castlerock makes any trail automatically a level harder than it already is!

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    It's downright scary skiing Ripcord at the end of the day. The steep pitch with sheets of ice and no moguls to slow you down, it's not a pleasant experience. Same thing goes for Steins. I love skiing Ripcord first thing in the morning when it's freshly groomed. I hit 44 mph once on it when it was freshly groomed. It's worth waiting for first chair on Heaven's Gate for sure.
    But the question is - did you hit Tuna speed?

2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Yep they should have kept it Scotch Mist, that was a good one!
    I always thought that would make a great April 1 prank, to change all the trail signs at Mt Ellen to their pre-Sugarbush names (using some overlay as to not damage the existing signs). But Mt Ellen was always targeted for closure the last weekend in March.

Which Way is probably the one trail that has had more names than others... its Glen Ellen name, Which Way, Sid, Godzilla, and back to Which Way.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    I always thought that would make a great April 1 prank, to change all the trail signs at Mt Ellen to their pre-Sugarbush names (using some overlay as to not damage the existing signs). But Mt Ellen was always targeted for closure the last weekend in March.

Which Way is probably the one trail that has had more names than others... its Glen Ellen name, Which Way, Sid, Godzilla, and back to Which Way.
    I always thought it was kind of odd that Godzilla was a double black. Sure it's an extreme terrain park, but the pitch was still mild and there was most likely a way to ski around the features.

Thread Information