• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superstar Chair 24/7

Zermatt

Is Superstar chair running 24/7? Every time I look at the webcam (first light, middle of the day, evening) the chair is spinning. This started a few weeks ago.

I noticed this last year before the World Cup too. I wonder if it is a reliability issue in that any issues would be discovered before the race or it is less prone to breaking while operating (not sure).

I wonder what their contingency plans are if that chair goes down? They have had so much snow this year I think there is a connection between the top of the gondola and Superstar. Or they could raid the quads at Pico, I think they are the same models.

Edit: Also, there is a cool laser projection on Superstar right now. Superstar Laser Projection

drjeff

Most likely due to the simple reality that getting Superstar ready for the world cup is a 24hrs a day effort.

On a side note, I'm currently sitting in my car on the access road to the K1 lodge about a 1/4 mile from Superstar watching the chair spin and getting ready to go watch the world cup! :flag:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

K likely has spare parts for the Yan components since they have 4 Yan-Poma modified HSQ's in their lift fleet. I guess they are kind of lucky in that regard, having four makes it a bit more financially feasible to have parts no longer in production pre fabricated and held in stock than Snow and SE that only have 1 a piece.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app