Windham - Open Letter to Mgmt - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43
  1. #11
    There may be some valid points in that letter, but there were also some comical, irrelevant, and even borderline incorrect points (perhaps misleading would be a better description than incorrect).

  2. #12
    Hunter West...best terrain in NY other than Whiteface...hahahahaha. Maybe the letter writer should make their way up to Gore.

    That said, I ski Windham 2-5x/season. It's convenient for me. And the reason is when my kids were younger, I remembered the Hunter stereotypes and chose Windham. My biggest issue is that they groom the heck out of everything. Even after huge storms they groom everything. Give me some powder and bumps!
    Last edited by mikec142; Dec 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I hear your pain.

    Belleayre is way behind their usual opening pace but at least they can say that's because they renovated the main lodge and installed a new fixed grip quad. And this storm will open things up fast now.
    Where is the new quad at Bell?

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    Hunter West...best terrain in NY other than Whiteface...hahahahaha. Maybe the letter writer should make their way up to Gore.
    Exactly.


  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    Hunter West...best terrain in NY other than Whiteface...hahahahaha. Maybe the letter writer should make their way up to Gore.
    Yup...that was one of the parts I found comical. Personally I prefer Platty's terrain as a whole over Hunter West as well so I wouldn't even say Hunter West is the best terrain in the Cats, never mind NY.

  6. #16
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,670
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Where is the new quad at Bell?
    You will not be excited to hear they got rid of the 2 old doubles running from Discovery up to Overlook and replaced them with a new FG quad.

    At least the name is funny: Catskill Lightening.

  7. #17
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,670
    I've seen a bunch of posts today regarding leaving bumps on trails.

    I think you can pretty much forget having lots of bumps anywhere. You won't see them at Hunter or Windham anymore and the plague has spread to Belleayre now that Bruce Transue, ex-Hunter employee and avowed hater of bumps is GM. That guy half groomed all of the short expert pitches at Belle that used to be left alone to bump up. Blame the insurance industry that sets rates based on percentages of expert and ungroomed terrain the more of which drives rates up like crazy.

    Platty is the last survivor in terms of no brutal grooming.

    I'll also add that Transue's decision to open Deer Run first sucks. I understand they want to utilize the Gondola but to open up early with Beginner and Intermediate terrain only makes early skiing there almost painful it's so boring. The last thing Belle needs is more boring.
    Last edited by JimG.; Dec 1, 2019 at 1:07 PM.

  8. #18
    I get what your saying regarding insurance but how would you explain Plattekill and the VT resorts, do they pay lower insurance premiums? The owners of Magic and Plattekill are as nimble as can be with their finances and still have their mountains bumped up and ungrommed in areas. Stowe is as bumped up as it gets for the east coast, I'm hoping that will rub off a little bit at sections of Hunter now that Vail owns the mountain.

    Tony

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I've seen a bunch of posts today regarding leaving bumps on trails.

    I think you can pretty much forget having lots of bumps anywhere. You won't see them at Hunter or Windham anymore and the plague has spread to Belleayre now that Bruce Transue, ex-Hunter employee and avowed hater of bumps is GM. That guy half groomed all of the short expert pitches at Belle that used to be left alone to bump up. Blame the insurance industry that sets rates based on percentages of expert and ungroomed terrain the more of which drives rates up like crazy.

    Platty is the last survivor in terms of no brutal grooming.

    I'll also add that Transue's decision to open Deer Run first sucks. I understand they want to utilize the Gondola but to open up early with Beginner and Intermediate terrain only makes early skiing there almost painful it's so boring. The last thing Belle needs is more boring.
    That's a shame about Belle...I haven't been there since Bruce became GM. The wide variety of bumps at Belle were always one of my favorite parts of that mountain.

    I'm curious whether that insurance reason really is accurate though. To be fair, based on NSAA stats, more injuries (and fatalities) occur on trails rated as blue squares than on trails rated as diamonds.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    You will not be excited to hear they got rid of the 2 old doubles running from Discovery up to Overlook and replaced them with a new FG quad.

    At least the name is funny: Catskill Lightening.

    The main thing that is not mentioned is that Hunter on weekends is way overcrowded, and is to the point of dangerous! The exit of Windham skiers will only make this worse.

    Also Hunter has consistently had issues this season with the six pack and they shut it down today around noon for "mechanical issues" with a big storm coming..........

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:11 AM.