Study on ski helmets - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Sort of the same for me. We switched from road biking to bicycle trails. L'Estraide in Granby is one of our favorites.
    Why would you ride in Granby when you have the Kingdom trails in your backyard ?

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Why would you ride in Granby when you have the Kingdom trails in your backyard ?
    We aren't mountain bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    The problem isn't that helmets aren't helping. The problem is behavior is changing. People are taking more risks in some cases specifically because they think a helmet will prevent serious injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    It might be beneficial to separate helmets from increased risk taking. They are separable, unless you ski with the mentality that "my helmet made me do it."
    Partly this. Having a helmet may push some people into a false sense of security, but skiing has also gotten more extreme for many reasons. In 40 years, ski hills went from removing lift tickets for any kind of jumping, to providing fully featured terrain parks. All of this in addition to the industry glorifying extreme skiing.
    The helmet debate is going along a parallel path as the debate on airbag in cars.

Insurance data shows airbag barely made a dent in overall injury rates. But look at the environment we're driving in:

1) There was a time when 55mph was the nationwide top speed limit. Now, that's about as slow as you would go on an unobstructed freeway, in snow and rain!

2) Population density had gone way up. So roads are generally far more congested.

Basically, we've been driving faster and faster. And there're a lot more of us on the road!

Had it not for airbags, the injury rate would have gone up as both the speed and density went up over the years. The fact the injury rate was kept flat is actually proof they worked!

So, keeping your helmets on. There's plenty of justification if you need them. As for me, I think a warm head is in a good position to make sound decisions. One of those decision is keeping my ski helmet on till June!

Talk about going around in circles.
    Last edited by abc; Dec 6, 2019 at 9:56 AM.

Another analogy is all wheel drive and 4wd vehicles. The death rate for these vehicles is not any lower than the death rate for 2wd vehicles.

And yet 99% of drivers will tell you that their all wheel drive vehicle makes them safer in the winter.

skiing has also gotten more extreme for many reasons. In 40 years, ski hills went from removing lift tickets for any kind of jumping, to providing fully featured terrain parks. All of this in addition to the industry glorifying extreme skiing.
    Yup. That was one of the first things I thought about when I considered the "long-term" data, it's not apples to apples as participants are generally engaging in more risky behavior at far higher rates.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Another analogy is all wheel drive and 4wd vehicles. The death rate for these vehicles is not any lower than the death rate for 2wd vehicles.

And yet 99% of drivers will tell you that their all wheel drive vehicle makes them safer in the winter.
    That isn't quite a perfect analogy though, is it?

Helmets provide some protection from head injury. Car crashes are caused most frequently in the snow by being unable to stop, 4wd does nothing to help you stop.

There is a strong behavioral argument for your analogy, but its confounded in helmets because helmets do help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    That isn't quite a perfect analogy though, is it?

There is a strong behavioral argument for your analogy, but its confounded in helmets because helmets do help.
    I was just offering it as an example of something that makes people think that their overall risk of injury is lower when in reality it is not. It was not offered for anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    4wd does nothing to help you stop.
    Trying to stop quick isn't how to avoid snow accidents though. AWD/4WD is very useful in accelerating & steering out of the way of impending collision in the snow.

The only possible explanation for 4WD trucks and SUVs not being safer in the snow is people just drive faster in the snow because the vehicle has higher limits. Thus apparently neutralizing the safety aspect.
    2019/2020 season [*powder day]

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10] Bretton Woods [1/3] Gunstock [1/2] Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2*] Wachusett [12/16]

The best combo is AWD or 4WD with snow tires.

That way you get the traction & acceleration benefit as well as the stopping & turning benefit.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

A few years ago driving back to the airport in Utah in a snowstorm I counted 20 accidents..mostly 4 wd trucks that smashed into the divider..you can slide just as easily with 2WD as 4WD if you are going to fast.
    Back to helmets..why wouldn't you wear one? seems like a no brainer. Warmer, doesn't get soaking wet in a storm..music..and it protects your noggin in a fall.

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Thread Information