Study on ski helmets - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    4wd vs rwd is less of the loose backend during acceleration. 4wd vs fwd only helps with starting out and getting unstuck after the point.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

As for a helmet the worse concussion I ever got was while wearing a helmet. Nice 40 degree day made the mistake of wearing sunglasses. Caught an edge and face planted. More like forehead planted. Goggles may have helped but helmet went back and when I came to couldn’t remember where I was, where I parked or where I left my boot bag. Being the idiot I was took 2 more runs but each time couldn’t remember the last one. Luckily my 17 year old son was with me and could drive me home. Ended up having head aches for six months and short term memory was toast.
    Think I am better now. What was I talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    4wd vs rwd is less of the loose backend during acceleration. 4wd vs fwd only helps with starting out and getting unstuck after the point.
    Bingo!

Ask all the 4wd owners and see how many understand THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    It's not just acceleration, though; it's also steady throttle when operating against things like air resistance. Having the ass end step out on the highway because you found a bit of black ice is very, very attention-getting. AWD or fancier "4WD" systems that can redirect power on slippage will generally prevent that, as well, which in turn increases the perceived traction until the driver does something other than drive in a straight line. Leaving a truck in RWD means that you'll (usually) get the ass end to step out before you lose steering; at sub-highway speeds, that tends to be an easier recovery. At full interstate speed, I'm not sure if my reaction speed is good enough to deal with that, and I hope not to find out.

As far as the study goes, I didn't see any indication that it was controlled against skier-days, either. So it's hard to know if the injury rate actually changed in the same direction as the injury volume. People with minor head injuries usually don't bother going to the hospital, nor do those who escape head injuries, so it's really, really hard to know how often helmets mitigated impacts that otherwise would have resulted in hospitalization and/or serious injury. I know I've taken hits to the helmet that I would have expected to result in at least minor concussions without one; one of the more memorable was making medium-radius turns on a steep groomer, having an edge hook up suddenly, and highsiding to the back of my head. I'm convinced that would have been a lot worse unhelmeted; as it was, I took a deep breath and skied away.

As already noted, it also doesn't control against skier types. It would be interesting if someone could find good-enough data to compare head injuries in ski racing before and after the newest FIS helmet regulations (requiring a level of protection greater than that generally specified for ski helmets per ANSI and CE specs).
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Thread Information