• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time to plan for the holiday weeks -- where to?

camberstick

how bad does Bretton woods typically get crowded on holidays? the mellow glade areas look great for my girls to build their confidence in the trees.

Smellytele

I've got a few Cannon passes to use this season (it left a strong impression on me last year for my 1st time skiing there late season powder day) so good to know. Burke is pretty much the ultimate no-crowds mountain in VT but for the same drive I like Cannon better. Bromley is another solid bet if you want to do more skiing than bumping into people. But even both those places will be semi crowded on a good weekend/holiday. Depends what your expectations are I guess. I ski mid week mostly and show up early so anything less than 3rd row parking is a bad start to my day. If the parking situation sucks I'm usually the guy who invents a closer parking space. I pulled this off hilariously at Okemo last year... basically a full lot, but right in front of the first two cars mine fit perfectly not blocking anyone. It's funny how people sometimes act like sheep in these situations and just drive to the back of the lot for no actual reason.

Agree with hitting the small places. Busy times are good for checking out different cheaper/smaller places.

Burke would be less crowded for sure. I just have a season pass at Cannon so I mentioned I may be there. I love Burke but not really early season. I still consider Christmas "early" season for the most part as places like Burke, BV and MRG.

abc

how bad does Bretton woods typically get crowded on holidays? the mellow glade areas look great for my girls to build their confidence in the trees.
Not too bad compared to southern VT. But that’s not saying much, I know.

I used to ski there in the holiday period a lot because I could score cheap’ish lodging. It’s really not bad once you get off the base area. The woods are even less crowded than the groomer.

tnt1234

We've had very good luck getting airbnb's in waterbury, or the MR valley. Then we just just play the 'conditions/crowds/disttance' game to paste together a few good days of skiing.

Obv. we're not tied to a pass, so....

Typically we end up skiing SB or Stowe a few days and MRG a few days and it all works out to be a nice mix of crowds/vibe/terrain.

tnt1234

And, oh yeah, again, forgetting about the passes, Jay is pretty good over the holiday. Crowded, but not overly insane....

jimk

NH Epic Passer and Christmas: Wildcat for the win. Ascutney for back-up. Good XC in Mount Wash Valley.
1290969768_pic2.jpg

jimmywilson69

yeah I really need to get to Wildcat...

I'll be skiing 4 miles from home Epically at Ski Roundtop in PA :lol: :lol:

If there are crowds I'll ski for an hour and then go home.

Los

NH Epic Passer and Christmas: Wildcat for the win. Ascutney for back-up. Good XC in Mount Wash Valley.

The t-bar at Ascutney? Seems like kind of a lame back up...

VTKilarney

Burke would be less crowded for sure. I just have a season pass at Cannon so I mentioned I may be there. I love Burke but not really early season. I still consider Christmas "early" season for the most part as places like Burke, BV and MRG.

You are correct. People coming to Burke to escape the Christmas crowds are likely to be very disappointed. It is typical for Burke to only have one route down from the top of the mountain open for Christmas. Two if you are lucky. This is because once they get the one route down from the top they focus on opening the bottom (beginner) area of the mountain.

A couple of years ago I was in the lodge and overheard people who had chosen between Stratton and Burke for their Christmas skiing. Their conclusion was that they would not be returning to Burke.

I've said it before - Burke is one of the most underrated mountains in New England if they have snow.

abc

overheard people who had chosen between Stratton and Burke for their Christmas skiing. Their conclusion was that they would not be returning to Burke.

I've said it before - Burke is one of the most underrated mountains in New England if they have snow.
I was one of those who went to Burke at less than abundant snow day once (maybe even twice) and never gone back since.