• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers are 43% more likely to crash after drinking alcohol

KustyTheKlown

not even comparable to a DWI. driving a car you are moving at speeds up to 90 mph and operating a metal box that weighs thousands of pounds. the potential destruction to other people is exponentially higher than skiing. if we're ranking things on how stupid and inconsiderate of the public they are, driving a car drunk is so obviously more dangerous than skiing drunk. skiing drunk you are mostly a risk to yourself, not others. you arent 0% risk to others, but its not like driving a dang car.

and there is nothing wrong with having a beer or two while skiing. the 8:30 AM first chair breakfast beer is a great tradition. getting DRUNK while skiing is an issue. there's a difference.

jimmywilson69

I've never understood drinking on the lift... I'll definitely have a beer or 2 at lunch but its too much hassle to drink a beer on the lift. Yet everywhere you go there are tons of beer cans in that 1 barrel under the lift. Never got into that aspect of skiing. I guess because I actually like to Ski and get plenty of a rush sober.

jimmywilson69

Good Point Krusty.

I actually did ski Drunk on the last day last run 2 years ago. It actually wasn't that much fun to be honest...

KustyTheKlown

i've never skied 'drunk'. i dont think id enjoy it whatsoever. but i carry 2-4 beers in my pack most days and drink them over 5-8 hours of skiing. not drunk.

BenedictGomez

I don't like to drink while doing anything athletic. Seems to defeat the purpose to me.

I don't even like to drink while golfing.

jimmywilson69

giphy.gif

abc

I'm usually pretty happy as soon as I put on skis. So never occur to me to add alcohol. What exactly is the point anyway?

I can see drinking after skiing, or even ONE drink at lunch. Other times, I feel it's a waste of the good stuff when a glass of water will do just fine. But I'm not against it either, as long as they're not out of control.

KustyTheKlown

I don't like to drink while doing anything athletic. Seems to defeat the purpose to me.

yea, if i was properly drunk, a long sustained steep bump or tree run would make me literally puke.

cannabis on the other hand is a skier's best friend.

drjeff

I've got a personal rule where when the beers start, the ski boots are already off for the day.

bdfreetuna

43% more likely to crash after drinking alcohol = winning case for any sober skier in a collision with someone who's drank

I'm not opposed to having a beer or drink at lunch break, I'd be a hypocrite if I was. But I think it's pretty important to maintain a low BAC for your sake and everyone else around you.

People ski for different reasons... I get that. Some people consider it a party on the hill -- IMO that's a problem that will have to be addressed. I can't be the only one seeing people swig hard booze and do bumps of coke, etc on the ski lift.

The amount of marijuana smoked while skiing / on the hill has gone up a lot lately too. This could be even more troublesome as marijuana effects everyone differently. I have a high tolerance for weed and it doesn't affect me much in terms of skiing. That said, I almost never actually do this out of respect for those around me. I'm also not trying to get DUIs on the way home from a ski mountain.

Someone who is not a regular pot smoker will also have their judgement affected by the change of perception that they are not accustomed to. So when I see kids half my age lighting up or vaping on the chair, those are the same kids I want to avoid on the hill.

Disagree somewhat with Krusty on the impact scenario. Driving a car on the highway in a straight line is a lot easier than skiing. You're basically keeping the steering wheel straight and moderating acceleration most of the time. It's so easy anyone can do it. Skiing can involve numerous split second decisions and body movements requiring at least some degree of precision, which only gets a lot more complicated with other people (moving targets) around.

I've "experimented" on the hill myself (beyond booze and pot) over the years but I was younger and stupider. Not trying to be a hypocrite but I was lucky not to have been involved in an accident -- I would have been completely at fault with all the consequences involved.

Recommend switching to coffee for 9AM-3PM ski hours and enjoying a beer immediately afterwards. Ganja can wait till you get home.

KustyTheKlown

its the risk to others tho. yea, driving a car is 'easy', but the car moves at car speeds (tuna speed), and weighs thousands of pounds. the potential for destruction, especially to other people and others' property, is far greater.

i'm gonna assume your non-alcohol/pot experimentation was a psychedelic? i haven't done that, but would really like a mellow day of warm spring skiing with just like a half hit of ellisdee

mikec142

I'm with you 100%. Some of the guys who I play golf with will knock back a couple of beers during the round. They call it "swing oil". I'm too competitive. So I just laugh and take their money.

Thrilled to have a couple of beers after anything athletic, but too into the skiing, golf, whatever...to enjoy one while doing it.

bdfreetuna

its the risk to others tho. yea, driving a car is 'easy', but the car moves at car speeds (tuna speed), and weighs thousands of pounds. the potential for destruction, especially to other people and others' property, is far greater.

i'm gonna assume your non-alcohol/pot experimentation was a psychedelic? i haven't done that, but would really like a mellow day of warm spring skiing with just like a half hit of ellisdee

Point 1 I agree cars more dangerous due to the speed and metal involved, but skiing more likely to be involved in a "fender bender" and 50mph collisions direct to the body can be pretty bad too

Point 2 You're on the right track but I'd rather not elaborate. In my imagination, I'll say that that trippy stuff is more of a detriment and mental inconvenience than an asset. I think it's better to go for a hike or other mellower activity rather than having your mind blown around others only to realize later you skied like shit that day.

bdfreetuna

I'm usually pretty happy as soon as I put on skis. So never occur to me to add alcohol. What exactly is the point anyway?

There's really no point unless you're a regular drinker and it's just routine to have a drink with lunch when going out. For me a beer is more of a temporary stimulant and provides a feeling of "second wind". But I mostly pass on beer while skiing last couple years. I feel doing so is part of taking skiing more seriously as a technical sport. I'm also a lot better at skiing now than I was a decade ago getting F'd up on the hill.

kingslug

Saw a kid pull out a whole bottle of jack from his jacket on the hill once..he had to be trashed..imagine if he fell and it broke all over him...oy

FBGM

I funnel beers on the lift then crush my cans and throw them at noobs from the lift. +10 points for any direct hit