• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superpasses: more crowds?

BenedictGomez

Except I haven’t heard too much grumbling at Copper nor Mammoth.

Yeah, Copper was a bad example on my part because it's almost totally surrounded by EPIC. It's the unlimited isolates like Solitude & Sugarbush that will suffer. Specifically in the Sugarbush case, it will definitely peel away a certain percentage of people who went EPIC for Stowe, as well as current IKON folk who are forced to "settle" for Stratton. Sugarbush will be overrun next season.

hovercraft

SB will actually be worse. As you're alluding to, we have enough data now already to understand how this works.

I'm coining a new term here, the "Sacrificial Mountain", which are the unlimited IKON & EPIC hills. They're necessary to "move" IKON pass sales, and those are the places that get jammed to the rafters.

Examples of core IKON geographical "Sacrificial Mountains" are: Copper, Mammoth, Solitude, Sugarbush, etc..

Like your new term. SB will be overwhelmed next year, even the most causal observer understands that.....

prsboogie

I do not think any of us yet fully understands what is occurring as more people buy a multi-resort pass instead of day tickets. We have been seeing a decline in the number of people walking up to the window and buying a ticket and a growing number of people buying passes. This has been a trend for awhile even before Ikon was introduced here. So does that cause more crowding? We will see.
Hi WinS, any idea if Sugarbush will continue to partner with Warren Miller Films and offer free tickets to viewers?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

machski

Like your new term. SB will be overwhelmed next year, even the most causal observer understands that.....
We'll see, but note that Stratton had been unlimited only on the full and now will be unlimited with blackouts on base too (Just like Sugarbush). That may take some of the pressure off of SB. Sugarbush is not a Solitude example. Same with Mammoth, its not isolated, June is just up the road and also Ikon. Have not been in full midwinter but I don't hear a lot of whinning at Mammoth. The only real congestion is at Canyon and they are addressing that by replacing their Yan-o-myer HSQ with a new Six next year. The rest of the place is huge and with the exception of the backside and extreme lookers right of the resort, there are high speed lifts all over the place.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

asnowmobiler

So much for discount on alcoholic beverages. I knew it sounded too good to be true.
“Pass holders present their cards when renting skis or snowboards on site, or when buying quick-service lunch or dinner. They can also use the Rewards website to book lodging, group lessons or rentals ahead of time. There is some fine print: Alcohol isn’t included, for example, and the dining discount applies up to $150 in purchases per day.”

AdironRider

My personal favorite is certain places can't pour liquor in front of you in Utah, like that changes the alcohol content or how you react to it.