Superpasses: more crowds? - Page 32

AlpineZone

Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Call me a realist, but I don't see Vail or Icon making many changes to reduce crowding. It's kind of like Disney. They don't care when people have to wait 90 minutes in line for Space Mountain as long as attendance remains up.
    Ikon and Vail operate differently though.

With Ikon, the partners can opt out if they perceive being part of Ikon is hurting them more than helping them. Next spring will be a watershed moment as most of the partners are locked in for 3 years initially. They don't have to renew the partnership if they don't want to.

With Vail, you're probably right. Basically, if your local hill is owned by Vail, you really don't have any alternative. Vail is your local Disney! There's only one Disney in the whole world!!!

But for those in locale with alternatives, it's up to the customer to decide whether they buy an Epic pass or a local pass. The local pass may not be any cheaper, though quite possibly less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Ikon and Vail operate differently though.

With Ikon, the partners can opt out if they perceive being part of Ikon is hurting them more than helping them. Next spring will be a watershed moment as most of the partners are locked in for 3 years initially. They don't have to renew the partnership if they don't want to.
    Completely agree. I am waiting to see what happens, but will not be surprised if not a damn thing changes.That said, I do know from someone "in the know" at Snowbird is that their season pass sales for 19-20 were lower than last season with the belief being that more people went to IKON. So if these resorts are seeing lower pass sales, then they will sit up.

With Vail, you're probably right. Basically, if your local hill is owned by Vail, you really don't have any alternative. Vail is your local Disney! There's only one Disney in the whole world!!!

But for those in locale with alternatives, it's up to the customer to decide whether they buy an Epic pass or a local pass. The local pass may not be any cheaper, though quite possibly less crowded.
    Exactly. With only a handful of exceptions, those in EPIC are Vail properties. Snowbasin and Sun Valley are independents who offer some days (IIRC Telluride is as well). I am wondering if the Holdings are going to sell Snowbasin and Sun Valley soon.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Lots of social media posting by folks coast-to-coast at EPIC & IKON blackout spots saying yesterday "wasnt as bad as they'd thought" it would be.

Circumstantial Evidence piece #88,061
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

My wife showed up to Pico extremely late yesterday... at least 11:00am and said it wasn't crowded at all.

I think between the cold and everyone expecting it to be really bad, a lot of folks stayed in yesterday instead.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Lots of social media posting by folks coast-to-coast at EPIC & IKON blackout spots saying yesterday "wasnt as bad as they'd thought" it would be.

Circumstantial Evidence piece #88,061
    Alterra's response: "The quiet day was not because of any blackouts on the IKON pass. The reason for the quieter Saturday is clearly because folks are getting ready for the much-anticipated Daytona 500."

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Alterra's response: "The quiet day was not because of any blackouts on the IKON pass. The reason for the quieter Saturday is clearly because folks are getting ready for the much-anticipated Daytona 500."

This is a joke right?

Gunstock (again, not on any joint pass) was not mobbed yesterday when it was cold but big crowds today.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    This is a joke right?
    Seek....and I thought the daily 98' Lynnway 500 commute was a roadrace....once rented a 4-cyl Corolla ~5yrs ago expecting accelleration of my 1973..... The increased desire for speed & racing on the highways around us isn't just my aging judgement..
    Last edited by bigbog; Feb 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM.
    SteveD

^ 126 horsepower to the crank @ 6000 rpm... is your neck OK or still recovering from the whiplash?
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

With so many people now owning these megapasses, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true that holidays may ironically be less crowded, because the people who own them wont want to "pay" to ski.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information