• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superpasses: more crowds?

Smellytele

Although I have skied at some of the mega pass areas (killington, wildcat, Sunday river and Loon) already this year, my pass is at Cannon. I plan to ski Burke, smuggs, MRG, and Bolton this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Greg

Staff member
I have to agree with BG...10 minutes was an eternity yesterday. Skied all day at Belleayre, snowed more overnight and during the morning, all lifts ski on all day. In fact, in 3 days I skied there this week I never had a lift partner other than the folks I skied with.

Megapasses certainly do increase crowd sizes.

Let me clarify. 2 rides on the north face were about a 10 minute lift ride, both around 10:45-11:15. 2 others when we did hit the front after lunch waiting for the summit quad were maybe 10 minutes (I'm guessing; I didn't time any, but it certainly wasn't a frustrating wait). The rest were well under 5 minutes and several were ski-on. I remember much worse waits over the years; granted it is early season still so we'll see. All I know is I'm tired today and feel satisfied with my ski day yesterday. No waits at all wouldn't have allowed me to ski any harder or any longer than I did.

JimG.

Staff member
Let me clarify. 2 rides on the north face were about a 10 minute lift ride, both around 10:45-11:15. 2 others when we did hit the front after lunch waiting for the summit quad were maybe 10 minutes (I'm guessing; I didn't time any, but it certainly wasn't a frustrating wait). The rest were well under 5 minutes and several were ski-on. I remember much worse waits over the years; granted it is early season still so we'll see. All I know is I'm tired today and feel satisfied with my ski day yesterday. No waits at all wouldn't have allowed me to ski any harder or any longer than I did.

Guess what I'm saying is that there were a few people at Belleayre and nobody in line. Sounds like there were more people at Snow and some in line each time you rode the lift.

Perhaps crowd is a poor description, but it sounds like there were definitely more people at Snow than in the Cats. I think that will be a trend as the season progresses.

Haven't heard any reports from Hunter or Windham.

Greg

Staff member
Guess what I'm saying is that there were a few people at Belleayre and nobody in line. Sounds like there were more people at Snow and some in line each time you rode the lift.

Probably. Take the megapasses out of the equation and imagine this weekend was pre-Peak Resorts. I wonder if it really have looked that much different between Snow and Bell.

kingslug

Hunter...but the 6 moves fast so waits were 10 to 12 minutes...no wait for Northside..5 minutes for the F...fast and firm..huge rollers and moguls on Eside drive..nothing poachable...Racers looked tempting but I think the redcoated ones would be unsympathetic to my cause..fun day

Attachments

• 20191208_094940.jpg
    20191208_094940.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 91

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yet another example.

Again, 10 and 12 minute waits in early December are not normal.

Those long lines may be EPIC & they may be IKONic, but they are not normal.
Well, to be fair, the snow conditions are abnormally good for the Catskills for early December. When is the last time you've skied at Hunter in early December? Ever been there 12/6 after they got two feet of snow days prior?

As for my experience this weekend at an Epic ski area? I skied Crotched with my four year old both days. Lifts were ski on both days. Maybe a 4-5 chair wait at most. This despite it being the best opening weekend I've ever seen for Crotched in terms of snow conditions and available terrain. Wildcat apparently wasn't too crazy either despite having 60ish percent of their terrain open, which is almost unheard of for 12/6.

I do think the "megapass" era will increase crowding at member resorts some, but I don't think the impact is nearly as great as good weather and a solid economy have on ski area crowding.

Crotched almost never looks like this early December

IMG_20191207_105715631.jpgIMG_20191207_103858525_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Well, to be fair, the snow conditions are abnormally good for the Catskills for early December. When is the last time you've skied at Hunter in early December? Ever been there 12/6 after they got two feet of snow days prior?

Not 100% sure as I wasnt there, but probably last year was almost as solid. I skied Magic on December 1st last year and it was legitimately like February, all woods in play etc...

JimG.

Staff member

As for my experience this weekend at an Epic ski area? I skied Crotched with my four year old both days. Lifts were ski on both days. Maybe a 4-5 chair wait at most. This despite it being the best opening weekend I've ever seen for Crotched in terms of snow conditions and available terrain. Wildcat apparently wasn't too crazy either despite having 60ish percent of their terrain open, which is almost unheard of for 12/6.

I do think the "megapass" era will increase crowding at member resorts some, but I don't think the impact is nearly as great as good weather and a solid economy have on ski area crowding.

Crotched almost never looks like this early December

I worry that certain megapass member resorts will experience crowding and that others will not.

It is very odd to me that the Cats were empty except for Hunter this past weekend (for me Fri Sat).

abc

It is very odd to me that the Cats were empty except for Hunter this past weekend (for me Fri Sat).
Not odd at all. It’s proof of the Epic effect.

I’m the proof. I bought Epic pass before Vail bought Peak. So Hunter came as a freebie. Why not ski it? I did just that, today! Adding to the crowd. ;)

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Totally agree with you and I'm hoping more folks feel like us and forego the megapass to frequent the smaller family run areas. Speaking of which, hoping to get up to McCauley mountain in Old Forge soon.

Blood Brother.

If you haven't been to McCauley I am guessing you will dig it.

jimk

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Also, I think the average price of gasoline is pretty reasonable right now across the country. (AAA says it's $2.57 on 12/9/19.)

BenedictGomez

Hunter was packed........ Biggest day so early in 20 years.

3iwgr9.jpg

njdiver85

I ski at Mount Snow. Megapass in full effect there given they were ground zero for the big snowstorm last week. What was truly disappointing was that they were still at Pre-Christmas staffing levels, leaving much needed lifts idle, such as Heavy Metal over at Carinthia, or limited ability to manage the lines. On Sunday, my pass was never scanned all day given lack of staff.

Early season staffing levels has been an issue in the past, and so far this year the large open trail count at this early stage, and megapasses only serves to amp this issue up to 11. Is it really that hard to increase staffing levels by 10% early season and put all that into lift ops? The money spent will pay off in more satisfied customers who will remain Epic next year rather than jump to Ikon, for example.