• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superpasses: more crowds?

thetrailboss

Staff member
New Ikon Passes are up. $899 for renewals (decrease from last season). Haven't looked through all the resorts yet, but looks to be about the same......

Whoa! Unlimited at Sugarbush.

At first glance, I did not see Alta/Snowbird in the list. But it is there. No changes at all despite the traffic and crowding problems. Talk about completely tone-deaf. What B.S.

1dog

I'm buying a pass shitshow or not and it will be the same or less than I spent last year with more benefits. But keep it up Benedict. Maybe you will keep the crowds down. ;-)

Yup, second the Hawk concept,all rain, stay away - south is snow. . . .

IMG_20200227_110800619.jpg

IMG_20200227_110800619.jpg

Hawk

It is what it is. Win no longer owns and the pricing structure and terms are what IKON says it is. I will not like it if the lines grow to record proportions but that is not going to stop me from buying the pass or going to the Mad River Valley. All this dooms day talk it non-productive as far as I am concern. The funny thing is the people who are the most upset aside from a few are the people that only come here on day trips and every now and then. The one thing that this will absolutely not affect is all the other reasons I come to the MRV the rest of the year. This will not ruin it for me. I am sure about that.

The one thing that this will absolutely not affect is all the other reasons I come to the MRV the rest of the year. This will not ruin it for me. I am sure about that.

Amen to that. Also if the downside to this is that this increases business and employment opportunities for people in the Valley, then I think i'm okay with that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is what it is. Win no longer owns and the pricing structure and terms are what IKON says it is. I will not like it if the lines grow to record proportions but that is not going to stop me from buying the pass or going to the Mad River Valley. All this dooms day talk it non-productive as far as I am concern. The funny thing is the people who are the most upset aside from a few are the people that only come here on day trips and every now and then. The one thing that this will absolutely not affect is all the other reasons I come to the MRV the rest of the year. This will not ruin it for me. I am sure about that.

I think "wait and see" is appropriate. Again, SB doesn't have 2 million people on its doorstep, so the impact will probably be relatively minimal.

kingslug

Add me to the list of people who will go there more...it has more interesting terrain than Stowe..and handles crowds better..not that I'm not going to Stowe...

1dog

I think "wait and see" is appropriate. Again, SB doesn't have 2 million people on its doorstep, so the impact will probably be relatively minimal.

The point of SLC being right there - akin to Blue Hills ( 10 miles or less from downtown Boston) being LCC and the city can not only drive/bus/uber there in 20 mins or less, but they can also SEE the peaks - man, I love LCC and even BCC, but gotta agree, MRV is a different animal all together.

I skinned Superior once - I;d say it would be a better option more often but the valid point of many here is - YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET UP TO THE BASE - never mind hike/skin/ski it.

My long time friend moved to PC in 1990 - built two houses there -rode market up, finally sold and moved to Powder. . . . . and that is only a matter of time. . . .

abc

Add me to the list of people who will go there more...it has more interesting terrain than Stowe..and handles crowds better..not that I'm not going to Stowe...
I'm actually a bit surprised Stowe is so mobbed this year. With all the other Peak resorts, I would have thought skier traffic would be a bit better dispersed.

I mean, I've not made it to Stowe this season yet. I've been going to Wildcat instead (and gone to Attitash and Sunapee once each just for kicks)

But perhaps a lot of the new Peak-to-Epic people are trying Stowe for the first time?

BenedictGomez

I'd be interested to know as well, but not at all surprised if such info is proprietary and not available to the public.

I find it hard to believe the current YoY increase at Sugarbush isn't impressive given the growth in IKON sales volume which is already (somewhat) publicly known.

And if it is significant for a very immature product for which we already know is still real world ramping at an aggressive growth rate, then I have no idea how WinS can say that next year the increase at Sugarbush wont be that large.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The point of SLC being right there - akin to Blue Hills ( 10 miles or less from downtown Boston) being LCC and the city can not only drive/bus/uber there in 20 mins or less, but they can also SEE the peaks - man, I love LCC and even BCC, but gotta agree, MRV is a different animal all together.

I skinned Superior once - I;d say it would be a better option more often but the valid point of many here is - YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET UP TO THE BASE - never mind hike/skin/ski it.

My long time friend moved to PC in 1990 - built two houses there -rode market up, finally sold and moved to Powder. . . . . and that is only a matter of time. . . .

Agreed.

And Powder has been surprisingly slow in implementing their crazy ideas, but I know that folks are now noticing the huge houses up there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm actually a bit surprised Stowe is so mobbed this year. With all the other Peak resorts, I would have thought skier traffic would be a bit better dispersed.

I mean, I've not made it to Stowe this season yet. I've been going to Wildcat instead (and gone to Attitash and Sunapee once each just for kicks)

But perhaps a lot of the new Peak-to-Epic people are trying Stowe for the first time?

I'm not. As we've discussed ad nauseum in another thread, when a premium product suddenly is made available to the masses it changes. Stowe was forever a premium product and now it is open to the masses. It's not that hard to understand.

AdironRider

No one in their right mind is going to ski Crotched when they can ski Stowe for the same price, regardless of drive time.

BenedictGomez

And Powder has been surprisingly slow in implementing their crazy ideas, but I know that folks are now noticing the huge houses up there.

They're ugly as crap houses based on uber-modern designs that stick out like a grotesque sore thumb in the beautiful Utah countryside.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They're ugly as crap houses based on uber-modern designs that stick out like a grotesque sore thumb in the beautiful Utah countryside.

And in about 3-5 years will be leaking and having problems being on the top of a mountain vs. being in Southern California.

abc

No one in their right mind is going to ski Crotched when they can ski Stowe for the same price, regardless of drive time.
But it's not "the same price". Stowe is a lot more costly to stay overnight. Crotched is day trip-able for many. And Wildcat and Attitash are also a lot "cheaper" to spend a Saturday night.

thetrailboss

Staff member
But it's not "the same price". Stowe is a lot more costly to stay overnight. Crotched is day trip-able for many. And Wildcat and Attitash are also a lot "cheaper" to spend a Saturday night.

The terrain is nowhere close. That is what AR is saying.

kingslug

Well...Stowe really has only 2 main lifts, the slow double makes 3.. The triple only good when the others are down but its a bit useless..SB has 10. Only benefit with Stowe is if your skiing with people on different runs its a hell of a lot easier to meet back up. SB...good luck.