• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superpasses: more crowds?

Smellytele

While at Ellen yesterday people that had been over at Lincoln said it was very crowded. Ellen only was crowded 10:30 until 12:30 while the summit quad was down.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

AdironRider

Jackson status update after a blackout holiday weekend:

Literally less than half the crowds. 5 tram waits were 2 tram waits. Half time thunder lifts.

Ikon is the entire problem. We had just as much pow, if not more this weekend than last and it was a holiday and less than half the people showed up.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Literally less than half the crowds. 5 tram waits were 2 tram waits. Half time thunder lifts.

Ikon is the entire problem. We had just as much pow, if not more this weekend than last and it was a holiday and less than half the people showed up.

As said, Alterra disagrees. The reason for the smaller turnout was clearly because people are very excited about the Presidential primaries and are out campaigning for their candidates. The fact that IKON pass was blacked out is not the reason. You all should love IKON passholders. Stop being so mean to them. IKON makes skiing so affordable.

:lol:

;)

machski

Does Jackson sell blackout season passes?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

As said, Alterra disagrees. The reason for the smaller turnout was clearly because people are very excited about the Presidential primaries and are out campaigning for their candidates. The fact that IKON pass was blacked out is not the reason. You all should love IKON passholders. Stop being so mean to them. IKON makes skiing so affordable.

[emoji38]

;)
Trailboss, I'll ask the same of you. Does Snowbird and /or Alta sell Blackout season passes?

BenedictGomez

we ditched the cottonwoods for the blackout days

Remarkably light crowd at Snowbird yesterday 2/16/20, esp for a holiday weekend Sunday with 9" new snow. They tell me it was due to being an Ikon blackout day?? It was ski-on

Literally less than half the crowds. 5 tram waits were 2 tram waits.

Circumstantial Evidence pieces #88,062, #88,063, and #88,064.

But please, do tell me about it being a great snow year & local season passholders skiing more.

icecoast1

But please, do tell me about it being a great snow year & local season passholders skiing more.

The factual evidence you seem to be waiting for will never happen, ski resorts don't publicly release daily skier visit counts and Vail and Alterra are never going to release any data that shows their passes may be contributing to crowding.

AdironRider

1dog

There were no crowds at Lincoln Peak - in my view a normal or even less than a normal Sat. Skied from 9- 3:30 20 people in front of me at Castlerock at 2:15.

Few 5 min lines at Heavens Gate, 4-5 mins at both Valley House ( running slower than normal) and Super Bravo. North Lynx ski on or 4-5 mins.

If you compared MLK or even the week after - there is no comparison - and I did see Ikon passes hanging from jackets.

Everyone says this is the week they announce new pass prices and tiers - well, I expect to pay more than $800 or $850, but at even 10 days how can anyone debate the value of an $80 per day cost - for me 20 gives me $40 days.

Trick at Sugarbush will be families - how are they affected?

machski

Jackson did just recently start selling passes with blackout dates for holidays. It was only 170 cheaper on a 1470 pass so not worth it IMO

Here is the pass structure and our early season pricing:

https://www.jacksonhole.com/latest-news-detail-X7QM4L.html

Current pricing:

https://www.jacksonhole.com/season-pass.html
I would agree with you on the differential. But everyone has a different level they want to spend. I would tend to think that wouldn't be a big number of passes but who knows. Doubt we'd ever see the data.

BenedictGomez

Today at Stowe was the most crowded..no blackouts.

This is NOT normal.

PDW Monday should never be by far the most crowded of the 4 days of the long holiday weekend. Outside of weather related travel interruptions or terrible weather, the normal pecking order should generally be: 1) Saturday 2) Sunday 3) Friday 4) Monday.

Circumstantial Evidence piece #88,065.

thebigo

Today was day 45 for us between the three nh former peaks mtns. This year is undoubtedly more crowded than past years at all three. Crotched is the most noticeable, they stopped selling tickets again sunday afternoon, cops lined rte 47 with signs warning parked cars would be towed. Wildcat today felt crowded in the lodge but the hill felt normal for a holiday weekend, then again I was skiing stuff the average weekend skier wouldn't consider. Other observation is that wildcat was always known for the overall quality of skier, seeing all kinds of new shit at the nh properties this year: dude straightlining Pluto's on sunday with Jean's no hat or goggles and a lit cigarette in mouth, people who have never seen an angle load lift, dude on snowboard plowing through a group of race kids at top of lift, teenage girl going around the bull wheel and back down the quad, an unprecedented number of people that simply cannot load a lift, people sliding down natural terrain on their ass with rental skis in hand - never saw this kind of stuff in nh.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Today was day 45 for us between the three nh former peaks mtns. This year is undoubtedly more crowded than past years at all three. Crotched is the most noticeable, they stopped selling tickets again sunday afternoon, cops lined rte 47 with signs warning parked cars would be towed. Wildcat today felt crowded in the lodge but the hill felt normal for a holiday weekend, then again I was skiing stuff the average weekend skier wouldn't consider. Other observation is that wildcat was always known for the overall quality of skier, seeing all kinds of new shit at the nh properties this year: dude straightlining Pluto's on sunday with Jean's no hat or goggles and a lit cigarette in mouth, people who have never seen an angle load lift, dude on snowboard plowing through a group of race kids at top of lift, teenage girl going around the bull wheel and back down the quad, an unprecedented number of people that simply cannot load a lift, people sliding down natural terrain on their ass with rental skis in hand - never saw this kind of stuff in nh.

Sounds like the Crotch

jimk

Purely anecdotal, but it's my sense that there are a great many SLC locals holding limited IKON passes and that's why crowds were low at both Alta and Snowbird on the blackout dates of Feb 15 and 16, 2020. I believe there are also SLC locals to a lesser degree that hold Epic Local passes. I skied Park City today 2/17 and it was not too bad, but today the blackout was lifted. Various chairlift riders told me the previous two days were medium busy, not holiday weekend busy.