Superpasses: more crowds?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Superpasses: more crowds?

Wow. First thread I've started in I don't know how long! Been lurking a lot this preseason as I haven't been as pumped to ski as I've been this season in several for various reasons. Anyway, reading a lot of superpass hate...mostly about leading to more crowds, etc. Not sure I get all that. Have cheaper multi-mountain passes really lead to bigger crowds? Discuss!

I plan to ski Mount Snow this Saturday (day tickets bought; not an Epic pass holder) and fully expect it to be busy. Hello, there is early season snow in the 'burbs so it should be expected. I have a plan to ski the mountain in a way to make it an overall good experience so no real concerns here...

Fully expecting it to be crowded is my strategy too.

Plus I try not to ski megapass mountains on weekends.

Killington early March last season:

31019.jpg

The line for the gondola at K1 stretches behind the lodge going towards SS.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    To be completely fair...I remember being at K with lines like that years ago (I haven't skied at K since at least 2011 and it was sometime before that).

In all honesty, I don't think we have enough data to know whether the "crowding from megapass" phenomena is accurate or not. Ikon is exceptionally new to the scene. And you had a really good snow year last year. I think you need a good 3-5 years of having Epic and Ikon and any other megapasses compete to see how things ultimately shake out. If crowding becomes a valid concern, you'll inevitably see some people go elsewhere.

It is kind of funny/ironic. On one hand we continually complain that we don't have enough people in the sport and need to grow the sport. Then we go and complain that resorts are "too crowded". Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    To be completely fair...I remember being at K with lines like that years ago (I haven't skied at K since at least 2011 and it was sometime before that).

In all honesty, I don't think we have enough data to know whether the "crowding from megapass" phenomena is accurate or not. Ikon is exceptionally new to the scene. And you had a really good snow year last year. I think you need a good 3-5 years of having Epic and Ikon and any other megapasses compete to see how things ultimately shake out. If crowding becomes a valid concern, you'll inevitably see some people go elsewhere.

It is kind of funny/ironic. On one hand we continually complain that we don't have enough people in the sport and need to grow the sport. Then we go and complain that resorts are "too crowded". Which is it?
    Again, in my way of thinking it's never too crowded. I'm glad to see folks out skiing and having fun. Path of least resistance. If my favorite trails or trees are busy I just go ski something else. I find a lot of fun lines I would never know about if I was skiing my usual stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I personally have never complained that there aren't enough people in the sport.

Fully expecting it to be crowded is my strategy too.

31019.jpg

Yes, the line at K1 can get like that, but go to needles or canyon or north ridge or snowdon triple or lower skyeship or bear quad or south ridge on that day and there is pretty much no line. Only lifts that get like that are k1, snowdon bubble, ramshead and skye peak quad.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Yes, the line at K1 can get like that, but go to needles or canyon or north ridge or snowdon triple or lower skyeship or bear quad or south ridge on that day and there is pretty much no line. Only lifts that get like that are k1, snowdon bubble, ramshead and skye peak quad.
    We wound up at South Ridge that day.

31019.jpg

That was an exceptional Saturday after a weekday snowstorm on a well forecasted sunny day, not a typical Saturday.

^that's a pretty extreme example tho. as a m-f 9-5er, my new england skiing is exclusively weekends (vacation time is for airplane skiing), and is predominantly ikon. i tend to start my day at first chair and knock out around 2. its rare to see this kind of crowding at the ikon destinations in my experience over the past few years of ikon and max pass. the worst random saturday crowding ive experienced was actually at stowe last year when using my skiVT pack ticket. like 20+ min for the forerunner most of the day

as you said greg, its about how you approach the mountain. avoid heavily congested lifts and lodges. start early. get to more remote parts of the place. ski thru lunch. etc. 31000 is an awful lot of AZ posts.

Kind of my point in starting the thread. Do you avoid these mountains more now on weekends because of megapasses? Are these mountains really that much more crowded now as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    31000 is an awful lot of AZ posts.
    Lol. Well, there was a time here when I felt like I was communicating with myself more than anyone else...

Thread Information