• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Superpasses: more crowds?

snoseek

With so many people now owning these megapasses, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true that holidays may ironically be less crowded, because the people who own them wont want to "pay" to ski.

Alta was considerably less crowded on days the ikon base was blacked out last winter. Before that my experience working at kwood was the busiest days of the holiday weeks were the ones the tahoe value/local passes came off their blackouts.

It probably is worth dropping the extra money on the more expensive pass with no blackouts if you can swing it imo.

JimG.

Staff member
So it wasn't really crowded this weekend, probably the best snow conditions of the season with many resorts 100% open?

Something really bizarre about that.

catskillman

Hunter was insane - I left at 10 - checked the webcam at 330 at the 6 pack line was as long as I had ever seen it.

Mid station was very very busy...

Heard they pre sold 9,000 tickets, Sold! ++ passholders, vouchers etc.....

When is enough enough???

medfordmike

My wife showed up to Pico extremely late yesterday... at least 11:00am and said it wasn't crowded at all.

I think between the cold and everyone expecting it to be really bad, a lot of folks stayed in yesterday instead.

Pico was interesting yesterday. Having all terrain open and all lifts running made it feel like a normal Saturday. I think the cold really made a difference. Coverage was great but lines were short. If you left the groomers you were basically all by yourself until you went to the lodge. Overall if you could tolerate the cold it was a great day on the mountain. Good coverage and sun. Cold as fuck to start but I can manage that.

BenedictGomez

Stowe was totaly uncrowded..never more than 10 minute wait..blackout killed the crowds

On a holiday Saturday, with blue skies, and perfect conditions.

Of course, according to ski area CEOs, COOs, GMs, and marketing teams, this just means "locals" and "season passholders" didn't show up.

JimG.

Staff member
On a holiday Saturday, with blue skies, and perfect conditions.

Of course, according to ski area CEOs, COOs, GMs, and marketing teams, this just means "locals" and "season passholders" didn't show up.

They were watching the Daytona 500 lol.

ScottySkis

Plattekill today was as croweded as I've ever seen it--in the lodge--but the lift lines were nonexistent and slopes were uncrowded.

I very happy to have independent place in Catskills
I hope that they survive the mega resorts vs independent hills

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

we ditched the cottonwoods for the blackout days and headed north to powder mountain. they cap their day ticket sales at 1500 and have 8000+ acres of terrain. today was a 10" storm skiing powder day. we waited on zero lines and skied fresh tracks all over teh mountain every run. not the steepest place (not even close), but wow was that fun on a powder day. at a motel near the airport now waiting for my flight out at 12. awesome trip (deer valley>snowbird>alta>alta>snowbird>brighton>solitude>powmow>powmow)

Last edited:

jimk

Remarkably light crowd at Snowbird yesterday 2/16/20, esp for a holiday weekend Sunday with 9" new snow. They tell me it was due to being an Ikon blackout day?? It was ski-on for many lifts for much of the day. I had a one car wait for the tram at 2pm.
Today 2//17 the LCC access road is closed until further notice due to a natural avalanche that hit the road at 3AM. The avi mitigation work they do to keep that canyon safe ain't no joke.
I might try to go up later. Today is not a blackout day and I'm curious to see if it is mobbed like a normal powder weekend day.

catskillman

NOTE: Hunter Mountain is EPIC holiday non-restricted

Circumstantial Evidence piece #88,062

Interesting. That may explain some things

I am going to copy a trip report that I received onto the trip forumn.

Hunter tried to eliminate some of the parking issue by sending an email saying if you park in the north lot this weekend you get a free tshirt. Well - the emails go to mainly passholders, who have lockers at the main lodge. The parking lot was empty needless to say. There is no base lodge there so you would have to change in your car in the cold........
Once again.....