• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/5/19

Zand

Quick hitter after work. Got in 16 runs/15K vert between 4:30 and 6:45 and headed out. Wachusett is the only mountain on the face of the earth that somehow has worse conditions after most snowstorms than they did before them. And somehow, after 27" fell Sunday-Tuesday, there was more hardpack to go around tonight than there ever should have been. First run down 10th, right above where the moguls are usually set up my legs came out from under me after suddenly hitting boilerplate that I didn't expect 2 days after 2+ feet of snow fell.

That said, the sides of the trails were sporting a lot of nice loose snow. Conifer was the better of the two summit trails. Lower half of both was fine with perfect packed powder, so maybe the top got wind blasted or something. Tracks in the woods everywhere and the "natural" cutoffs and side trails are all well covered. Didn't ski them tonight due to no lights, but they all looked good for daytime if you can avoid the Old Growth Forest police. Balance Rock and Roper's Road are also open au natural, those must be in good shape too.

Never got over to Minuteman, but I'm guessing those trails are in good shape. Look Ma and Hitchcock added since last time I was there, maybe I'll check them out next time. Guns roaring top to bottom on Smith (as well as Frannie's and Piece of Cake... if they ever care to run the lift so you can ski them). Should be 100% open by Sunday. Fun night overall, it really was definitely skiing better than I just made it sound, I just don't understand how Wachusett ALWAYS gets worse instead of better after a snowstorm.

Sounds like we may be in for an inch or two tomorrow afternoon, so might head back up for a couple hours after work again. Looking at Killington on Sunday maybe. Trying to milk this good snow for all it's worth before it gets rained on next week and then freezes solid.

wa125.jpgwa1252.jpg

The Sneak

Sigh
Heading up for a few laps in the AM and this confirms my fathers TR from Wed where he said everything but Ralph’s was absolutely garbage.

How is that effing possible? Seriously, how can they screw it up so badly??? Maybe I will audible halfway up 146 and head to BEast instead. But they had only a few trails open and didn’t appear to be running the new quad for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrstrat57

Sneak I think the natural snow had high water content. Wednesday to get down natural snow Look Ma you needed CCM Tacks.

The snowmaking trails were excellent both Wednesday and Friday. A little liquid precip coming but with low temps forecast a full recovery on snowmaking trails I'd expect by Thursday. I'm planning my next runs for then. As for natural snow trails I plan on giving em a bit more time, happy with sweet machine made snow groomers in early season

Of course B East is always an awesome choice but more than 2x the time on the road from South County...