• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Intel

KustyTheKlown

jay always opens jet only early season. staffing issue i guess? and when only the jet is open, you can pretty much always hike to the bonnie and flyer, barring mountain ops that will keep the hiking routes closed/unsafe. and when only the bonnie and jet are open, you can hike to the flyer.

its a short easy hike up a groomer path from the bonnie to the flyer. some of the best conditions i have ever skied have been early season at jay when you need to exert a little bit of effort to get to the goods.

i take the entire situation as a feature, not a defect.

BenedictGomez

I ski at Jay Peak about 6 times per season, and I often go the entire season without taking a tram run.

urungus

I met a couple buddies up there the week before Christmas I think 3 or 4 years ago. They stayed all week, but I made a long weekend out of it.
The Tram didn't run all week. Every day was a different excuse it seemed. Then finally the real answer was that it was broken and would be fixed next week - you guessed it - just in time for the Christmas crowds.

How can you have something you know needs repairs all off-season and early season and just not bother to fix it until the crowds start to show up?

What evidence do you have that Jay Peak knew of the need for repairs during the “off-season” ? You know the tram runs all summer long, right? https://jaypeakresort.com/summer/tram-ride

Jcb890

jay always opens jet only early season. staffing issue i guess? and when only the jet is open, you can pretty much always hike to the bonnie and flyer, barring mountain ops that will keep the hiking routes closed/unsafe. and when only the bonnie and jet are open, you can hike to the flyer.

its a short easy hike up a groomer path from the bonnie to the flyer. some of the best conditions i have ever skied have been early season at jay when you need to exert a little bit of effort to get to the goods.

Being required to HIKE at a RESORT with LIFTS is a 'feature'? You and I have different views I guess. This isn't like hiking to a back bowl or hiking to something in the BC... we're talking about groomed runs (or un-groomed from fresh).

What evidence do you have that Jay Peak knew of the need for repairs during the “off-season” ? You know the tram runs all summer long, right? https://jaypeakresort.com/summer/tram-ride
The snow report leading up to it had been saying the Tram was not running and in need of repairs for quite a while. I guess I don't have direct evidence though. Somehow, someway, magically, the Tram was fixed in time for Christmas week though... I might just be being bitter and have had bad timing.

bdfreetuna

The tram is the worst part of Jay. Iconic until everyone realizes how much it sucks to ride and wait in line.

tnt1234

How do you get back over to state side if they aren't spinning the metro? Hike up to that and ski over?

BenedictGomez

The tram is the worst part of Jay. Iconic until everyone realizes how much it sucks to ride and wait in line.

The opportunity was there to replace it a few years ago rather than spending millions to fix it (and run it at a reduced capacity to boot). The receiver isnt in business to spend a few extra million to actually improve the place though. C'est la vie.

Zand

I also always avoided the tram except for an occasional Valhalla run. But last year I was there on a shitty misty foggy day (with perfect cream cheese conditions), place was empty, and I lapped it all afternoon because the chutes were perfect. There were a few times I rode it solo. Really fun day, but as rare as they come crowd wise.

machski

The opportunity was there to replace it a few years ago rather than spending millions to fix it (and run it at a reduced capacity to boot). The receiver isnt in business to spend a few extra million to actually improve the place though. C'est la vie.
Given Act 250 is now in place and seeing the summit of Jay, I still have no idea what on Earth they could replace the Tram with. The tram terminal is literally bolted to the side of the rock face summit. No other type of lift terminal would allow such and the summit would need to be extremely leveled for a detachable terminal to be installed on it. I don't see a viable alternative to the Tram, you would be talking well over $10 million to install any other type of lift in my opinion. That is a tough investment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tend to agree. If anything, maybe install a short, summit double chair like the one that was once there. I bet that would be a cool lift to ride giving a great vantage point of people skiing the face chutes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

1dog

What a great idea - like the chair on K22 at Squaw. Ths chutes are some of the best in the East - Mt Washington being the exception.

BenedictGomez

I tend to agree. If anything, maybe install a short, summit double chair like the one that was once there. I bet that would be a cool lift to ride giving a great vantage point of people skiing the face chutes.

Yes, this is the most logical answer.

I was hoping instead of spending millions to fix the tram, they'd put in a quad & a double. It would have cost more in total of course, but would solve the tram problem. That awful tram should never have been built. When you have what is essentially a "Jerry mover", you've erred.

jimmywilson69

Yes, have done it a couple of times and it's usually been great, especially last year! So much snow that everything was wide open. There was almost too much snow for an early season, legs not totally in shape yet trip (yes, I did say that LOL).

Last year was really awesome. First run, I could tell the trees were ready. Didn't really ski "trails" the rest of the weekend.

Kind of glad I'm not going as that's a long way to drive to end up in the bar all day! well or most of the day :lol:

jjm33

Had anyone been to Jay recently? We are headed up Friday. 35 trails open yesterday and I saw some complaints online that the conditions have been terrible. After a wash out / freeze out over New Years last year, it looks like another set of below average days.

ThatGuy

At Jay right now, does anyone know a good metric of when to veer hard left to get back to the Jet from Timbuktoo. Today was my first time here and I wasn’t trying to hike back down the road from the dip.

Zand

At Jay right now, does anyone know a good metric of when to veer hard left to get back to the Jet from Timbuktoo. Today was my first time here and I wasn’t trying to hike back down the road from the dip.
From what I remember, there are ski area boundary signs once you get out to the point of no return. Just stay near those and you'll be good.

ThatGuy

Okay thanks, I guess I was in the right place then. Just was confused because they were facing the opposite way of the trail so I almost skied right out to the road.

crank

You can ski all the way out to the top of the dip to where you are looking down at the final pitch that ends at 242and still traverse back to the Jet.