• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Intel

KustyTheKlown

Most that take the Tram ski Vermonter and Northway and miss the other good runs,

its so stupid and annoying that people take the tram to ski vermonter and northway. they should mark those as black and/or keep them closed, and force tram riders to take tuckerman, face, valhalla, or beret.

i'd also gladly take a double chair or t-bar from top of flyer to top of jay. they should make northway a liftline. if they did that then keep vermonter open for the groomer crowd i guess.

ThatGuy

Yeah its my first time here but I’m not seeing the allure of the tram. Seems people just want to ride it for the views and not for the terrain. Might hike up to the face chutes later but I’m not sure.

KustyTheKlown

Yeah its my first time here but I’m not seeing the allure of the tram. Seems people just want to ride it for the views and not for the terrain. Might hike up to the face chutes later but I’m not sure.

the allure is that face, valhalla, tuckerman, and green beret can be great. but >50% of tram riders arent skiing that stuff, and cause a huge line for people who actually want to ski legit terrain. they shouldn't even offer blue terrain off the top and they should mark it as experts only etc at the bottom. especially this year when they cant run it at capacity.

ThatGuy

That would be a great idea but the Jerrys and their families probably love riding it and thats where the money comes from.

KustyTheKlown

hows the snow? saw they got 9" this week, as they do. their social media is good at posting pow pics.

ThatGuy

The snow is great right now in the woods. Lots of deep drifts, face shots in Timbuktoo and Andres. I’m having a saftey meeting in the dip right now and it untracked pow the whole way.

urungus

its so stupid and annoying that people take the tram to ski vermonter and northway. they should mark those as black and/or keep them closed, and force tram riders to take tuckerman, face, valhalla, or beret.

i'd also gladly take a double chair or t-bar from top of flyer to top of jay. they should make northway a liftline. if they did that then keep vermonter open for the groomer crowd i guess.

The old Skyline double ran from the top of Bonaventure to the summit. It’s weird that it was dismantled only 5 years after it was installed. Maybe it got too windy ?

KustyTheKlown

The snow is great right now in the woods. Lots of deep drifts, face shots in Timbuktoo and Andres. I’m having a saftey meeting in the dip right now and it untracked pow the whole way.

fuckin a, im going to end up driving all the way to jay on Saturday morning lol

machski

The old Skyline double ran from the top of Bonaventure to the summit. It’s weird that it was dismantled only 5 years after it was installed. Maybe it got too windy ?
It was always meant to be temporary until the Tram was up and running. Similar to what JHMR did with chairs between old Red and new Big Red trams.

KustyTheKlown

It was always meant to be temporary until the Tram was up and running. Similar to what JHMR did with chairs between old Red and new Big Red trams.

weird to me that they would remove it tho. the redundancy seems like a positive.

did JH have that chair ~2008ish? i vaguely remember using a chair to get up rendezvous. ages ago.

machski

weird to me that they would remove it tho. the redundancy seems like a positive.

did JH have that chair ~2008ish? i vaguely remember using a chair to get up rendezvous. ages ago.
Yeah, it was East Ridge and stood from 06-11 to cover the gap between the Trams. It got moved and reused as Marmot there after the new Tram was in and proven good to go.

eatskisleep

Too bad they didn't keep that. Would have been a great addition, especially now.

ne_skier

The Tram is a capacity nightmare. Even one of Jay Peak's execs (Not sure who's in what position) didn't have great things to say about it either. Many people ride it just since it's the summit lift, they can get good views, etc. Line buildup is a big issue from what I've heard and it doesn't help that the lift itself isn't that young, a couple years back they had to replace all the line gear (Although that does contribute to longevity). The Skyline Double was meant to be a temporary lift, but the previously mentioned executive stated that a redundancy lift to the summit is something worth considering. The reasons I've heard for why it would be difficult are a lack of space at the peak and rime ice formation. To the latter's point, here are some pics of the top terminal of Skyline:

1dog

More legal delays - looks like the state has something to hide.

When will people realize that utilizing money not earned rarely turns out well for the public? No need to answer.

skimagic

I'll be heading up north next week with one or two others. Last time was when the freezer went in so im looong overdue.
Anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable, clean place to stay?

ThatGuy

I’m not a fan of hostels but thats the cheapest place to stay.