Jay Peak Intel - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Jay Peak Intel

  1. #11
    Yes, have done it a couple of times and it's usually been great, especially last year! So much snow that everything was wide open. There was almost too much snow for an early season, legs not totally in shape yet trip (yes, I did say that LOL).

    This year is looking rough, but I've already committed and paid. May try to take off early Sunday and hit up a different area such as K or Okemo on way back instead since they got the goods early season.

    Thanks for the info everyone.

  2. #12
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,774
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarbushskier View Post
    Yes, have done it a couple of times and it's usually been great, especially last year! So much snow that everything was wide open. There was almost too much snow for an early season, legs not totally in shape yet trip (yes, I did say that LOL).

    This year is looking rough, but I've already committed and paid. May try to take off early Sunday and hit up a different area such as K or Okemo on way back instead since they got the goods early season.

    Thanks for the info everyone.
    I don't know if I'd say K has gotten the goods. They have received enough snow to open some natural and woods. But I bet you will find it quite skied out, they haven't received that much snow this year yet.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I don't know if I'd say K has gotten the goods. They have received enough snow to open some natural and woods. But I bet you will find it quite skied out, they haven't received that much snow this year yet.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I probably should've phrased that differently as I know it was more like Snow and Stratton were in the heaviest zones from the last storms. It just that I've already hit Snow 3 times and Stratton twice so just trying to think of alternatives to what might be a very limited and icy Jay for three days. I've got both Epic and Ikon so have options.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I don't know if I'd say K has gotten the goods. They have received enough snow to open some natural and woods. But I bet you will find it quite skied out, they haven't received that much snow this year yet.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Huh? They have gotten 56" of snow so far this season....6" less than their combined average snowfall of ALL of November and December. That's a lot of snow!!!
    2019-2020 43 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Huh? They have gotten 56" of snow so far this season....6" less than their combined average snowfall of ALL of November and December. That's a lot of snow!!!
    What he's saying is that Killington doesnt have as much natural on the ground right now as Mt Snow and Stratton, which is true. Those two got 20" of wetter snow Tuesday which is huge. Killington got almost as much through the week but it was all light stuff, and you can tell.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

    2019-20 days - 16
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    What he's saying is that Killington doesnt have as much natural on the ground right now as Mt Snow and Stratton, which is true. Those two got 20" of wetter snow Tuesday which is huge. Killington got almost as much through the week but it was all light stuff, and you can tell.
    But who will retain their snow during the rain event?

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    But who will retain their snow during the rain event?
    Unless there's a large temperature difference between the two during the rain, then Mt Snow for sure. Much higher moisture content. Although both will lose almost all their natural.

    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

    2019-20 days - 16
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    I would advise against booking Jay trips in December. Sure if it dumps and you can go on a whim, great. But if the natural is lacking, they can really get off to a slow start.
    I met a couple buddies up there the week before Christmas I think 3 or 4 years ago. They stayed all week, but I made a long weekend out of it.
    The Tram didn't run all week. Every day was a different excuse it seemed. Then finally the real answer was that it was broken and would be fixed next week - you guessed it - just in time for the Christmas crowds.

    How can you have something you know needs repairs all off-season and early season and just not bother to fix it until the crowds start to show up?
    Between that and the mountain not running the tram if winds go over 5 mph it seems, it isn't worth my 4 hr drive up there.
    It's a shame too because they get good snow and I like the terrain.

  9. #19
    the best skiing at jay isn't off the tram. unless you're skiing the face or valhalla there is no reason to even go up there. which is why i get a little annoyed by lines of people going up there to ski the groomer off the top.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    the best skiing at jay isn't off the tram. unless you're skiing the face or valhalla there is no reason to even go up there. which is why i get a little annoyed by lines of people going up there to ski the groomer off the top.
    I don't necessarily disagree with the terrain off the Tram not being fantastic, but it's a good way to get around the entire mountain and I find it laughable that people talk about hiking/skinning Jay like that's a viable option or something people should be OK with... at a resort with lifts.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:01 AM.