• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Intel

Anyone been up to Jay yet? Heading there for three days starting Friday for a Fam trip and concerned they only have Jet and two lower mountain chairs open.

Anyone know if they are making snow up the Bonnie chair area? Really would be nice to have some added terrain available for next weekend. They've been getting snow snow, but the weather this Mon/Tues isn't going to be good news. Thanks!

VTKilarney

They really haven’t been getting the same amount of snow that southern Vermont got. There’s always the Jay cloud, but they missed out on the big storm.

Exactly....and therefore my concern. Jet has some great terrain, but not for three days!

Was watching the radar carefully during these past storms and saw how Jay was very limited w precip. Was hoping they'd step up their snowmaking game to get some trails open for next weekend, especially considering how cold it's been and then after this rain, how cold it will be for a few days.

KustyTheKlown

There’s been a ton of upslope in noVT this week since Thursday. Hike to Bonnie and I’m sure the skiing will be good.

1dog

snowed for 3 days at Bush, not reported and certainly light and dry - skied Sat w some boot and shin - friends hiked Castlerock and had thigh billowing. I like its not reported actually. It didn't show up on radar any of my three apps - Dark Sky, WU, or NOAA.

Upslope, lake effect, whatever. Hope Mon/Tuesday is not a wipe out

tnt1234

Monday Tuesday looking rough.

Temps not really close enough right now to hope elevation makes a difference. Hope the forecast changes.

LONGBOARDR

we've got a foot + in the last 2 days, low angle glades skied ok marginal IMO from a safety standpoint
unfortunately we have warm air, rain a a lot of wind headed this way.
No jay cloud likely into the weekend sorry

off trail base layer is pretty solid, the hope here is that it doesn't get washed out and have to start from scratch

Zand

I would advise against booking Jay trips in December. Sure if it dumps and you can go on a whim, great. But if the natural is lacking, they can really get off to a slow start.

jimmywilson69

Heading there for three days starting Friday for a Fam trip

Classic Ski Tours?

First time in a long time I'm not hitting up their trip this year because I have to get my son from College. last Years Jay trip was amazing. Nearly 100% open and knee deep in spots in the trees.

based on these reports, and the weather today and tomorrow kind of glad I'm not missing it this year.

Yes, have done it a couple of times and it's usually been great, especially last year! So much snow that everything was wide open. There was almost too much snow for an early season, legs not totally in shape yet trip (yes, I did say that LOL).

This year is looking rough, but I've already committed and paid. May try to take off early Sunday and hit up a different area such as K or Okemo on way back instead since they got the goods early season.

Thanks for the info everyone.

machski

Yes, have done it a couple of times and it's usually been great, especially last year! So much snow that everything was wide open. There was almost too much snow for an early season, legs not totally in shape yet trip (yes, I did say that LOL).

This year is looking rough, but I've already committed and paid. May try to take off early Sunday and hit up a different area such as K or Okemo on way back instead since they got the goods early season.

Thanks for the info everyone.
I don't know if I'd say K has gotten the goods. They have received enough snow to open some natural and woods. But I bet you will find it quite skied out, they haven't received that much snow this year yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I don't know if I'd say K has gotten the goods. They have received enough snow to open some natural and woods. But I bet you will find it quite skied out, they haven't received that much snow this year yet.

I probably should've phrased that differently as I know it was more like Snow and Stratton were in the heaviest zones from the last storms. It just that I've already hit Snow 3 times and Stratton twice so just trying to think of alternatives to what might be a very limited and icy Jay for three days. I've got both Epic and Ikon so have options.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Huh? They have gotten 56" of snow so far this season....6" less than their combined average snowfall of ALL of November and December. That's a lot of snow!!!

Zand

Huh? They have gotten 56" of snow so far this season....6" less than their combined average snowfall of ALL of November and December. That's a lot of snow!!!

What he's saying is that Killington doesnt have as much natural on the ground right now as Mt Snow and Stratton, which is true. Those two got 20" of wetter snow Tuesday which is huge. Killington got almost as much through the week but it was all light stuff, and you can tell.

VTKilarney

What he's saying is that Killington doesnt have as much natural on the ground right now as Mt Snow and Stratton, which is true. Those two got 20" of wetter snow Tuesday which is huge. Killington got almost as much through the week but it was all light stuff, and you can tell.

But who will retain their snow during the rain event?

Zand

But who will retain their snow during the rain event?

Unless there's a large temperature difference between the two during the rain, then Mt Snow for sure. Much higher moisture content. Although both will lose almost all their natural.

Jcb890

I would advise against booking Jay trips in December. Sure if it dumps and you can go on a whim, great. But if the natural is lacking, they can really get off to a slow start.
I met a couple buddies up there the week before Christmas I think 3 or 4 years ago. They stayed all week, but I made a long weekend out of it.
The Tram didn't run all week. Every day was a different excuse it seemed. Then finally the real answer was that it was broken and would be fixed next week - you guessed it - just in time for the Christmas crowds.

How can you have something you know needs repairs all off-season and early season and just not bother to fix it until the crowds start to show up?
Between that and the mountain not running the tram if winds go over 5 mph it seems, it isn't worth my 4 hr drive up there.
It's a shame too because they get good snow and I like the terrain.

KustyTheKlown

the best skiing at jay isn't off the tram. unless you're skiing the face or valhalla there is no reason to even go up there. which is why i get a little annoyed by lines of people going up there to ski the groomer off the top.

Jcb890

the best skiing at jay isn't off the tram. unless you're skiing the face or valhalla there is no reason to even go up there. which is why i get a little annoyed by lines of people going up there to ski the groomer off the top.
I don't necessarily disagree with the terrain off the Tram not being fantastic, but it's a good way to get around the entire mountain and I find it laughable that people talk about hiking/skinning Jay like that's a viable option or something people should be OK with... at a resort with lifts.