• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 12/7/19

JimG.

Staff member
Third powder day of this week. More snow overnight and snowing still when we arrived. Easily over 30" for the week:

127191.jpg

Peekamoose was the trail of the day. Soft powder bumps leading down to untracked powder after the first pitch:

127193.jpg

Still fresh tracks to be had at 3:00:

127195.jpg

Trees are almost completely filled in now:

127196.jpg
127197.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
A few more tree pics:

127192.jpg
127194.jpg

Glad most of NY and SoVT got snow too, more for me this week. Great start to the season!!

kingslug

Bell

Attachments

• 20191207_140245.jpg
    20191207_140245.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20191207_085447.jpg
    20191207_085447.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 92
  • 20191207_115610.jpg
    20191207_115610.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 94

legalskier

Today was Poachers' Paradise- I can't remember ever tree skiing in December...anywhere. Most of the glades & trails were officially closed, like Winisook Glades here, but that of course stopped no one. Literally everything was in play- if you don't mind ducking ropes. ;-)
IMG_8459.jpg
Unbelievable conditions (even for midwinter) with lots of pow stashes. I stuck to the east side until lunch (avoiding the school groups I heard were roaming the west), carving up the crud & occasional pow from Onandaga to Onteora but didn't attempt to get to the Glen as the huge whales on Roaring Brook represented forbidding obstacles- these are by Horseshoe Pass:
IMG_8458.jpg
On the west side Peekamoose was still in fine shape but Big T glades were unexpectedly awesome, the ROTD (spotted some boarders rockin the trees between Peekamoose & Algonguin above Big T). I couldn't get enough of it but unfortunately this was my first day out and my legs burned out by 3. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. I'm hoping the conditions don't suffer much from the imminent warmth/precip. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Great 2 days in a row for sure
Nice to meet king slug on Saturday
Snowing all day on Friday and Saturday makes ski day better
Thank Jim and King slug for helping me when I needed it

JimG.

Staff member
Today was Poachers' Paradise- I can't remember ever tree skiing in December...anywhere. Most of the glades & trails were officially closed, like Winisook Glades here, but that of course stopped no one. Literally everything was in play- if you don't mind ducking ropes. ;-)
View attachment 25778
Unbelievable conditions (even for midwinter) with lots of pow stashes. I stuck to the east side until lunch (avoiding the school groups I heard were roaming the west), carving up the crud & occasional pow from Onandaga to Onteora but didn't attempt to get to the Glen as the huge whales on Roaring Brook represented forbidding obstacles- these are by Horseshoe Pass:
View attachment 25779
On the west side Peekamoose was still in fine shape but Big T glades were unexpectedly awesome, the ROTD (spotted some boarders rockin the trees between Peekamoose & Algonguin above Big T). I couldn't get enough of it but unfortunately this was my first day out and my legs burned out by 3. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. I'm hoping the conditions don't suffer much from the imminent warmth/precip. *fingers crossed*

Glad you got to enjoy.

bdfreetuna

Looks great. Never skied there, but it's nice to get a peek at these places that seem just slightly out of day trip range (could drive to Jay in same time).

JimG.

Staff member
Looks great. Never skied there, but it's nice to get a peek at these places that seem just slightly out of day trip range (could drive to Jay in same time).

Ya I would hit Jay over Belle every time if they were equidistant for me. 1:15 to Belle, about 6 to Jay for me.

Let me know when you decide to go to Gore, my personal favorite of the ORDA resorts (Whiteface awesome too but further away).

Bandit2941

Ya I would hit Jay over Belle every time if they were equidistant for me. 1:15 to Belle, about 6 to Jay for me.

Let me know when you decide to go to Gore, my personal favorite of the ORDA resorts (Whiteface awesome too but further away).

That’s like us going somewhere in PA to ski. If I’m going to drive a couple hours it’s going to be north to better skiing!

abc

That’s like us going somewhere in PA to ski. If I’m going to drive a couple hours it’s going to be north to better skiing!
Except this last storm was hitting the south instead of the north.

I had never had much luck with powder days in the northeast 10 years back. But these last few years, so many storms were hitting down in the "flatland". I'm beginning to pay attention to them. So much easier to sneak a day mid-week in the Cats than having to drive 4 hrs each way to VT.

kingslug

Stowe has gotten a total of 49 inches so far
Hunter 36..and almost all of that in 1 shot..
Thsts pretty close to each other..and Hunter has had better overall conditions so far...