• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

Calex

Need help deciding if a day trip to Waterville valley is worth it for tomorrow (weather wise). Two hour drive

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

honesty is the best policy. kudos to jay.

"Jay Peakers,

We’re just finishing an unbelievably good week with 100% of our terrain open thanks to two feet of natural snow and a bluebird day to cap things off yesterday.

Just in time for things to deteriorate headed into the weekend.

While we aren’t in the business of telling Raised Jay’ers to stay home, the conditions have been so great this week (and we’ve done such a good job of bearing that out in video and images across social), we did not want you arriving this weekend expecting more of the same.

In short, an amalgamation of forecasts show that we should start seeing some light precipitation today in the form of snow (it is now as of 10:30a at 1800’) followed by a changeover to rain by mid-afternoon. Winds will pick up throughout the day as well. We’ll see intermittent rain showers on Saturday with rain picking up later in the day and across the early hours of Saturday evening when temps drop and a changeover to freezing rain and ice happens for a period.

Winds are our main concern at this point, though, and we wanted to get this message out in front of you before you make the decision to drive to visit us. Winds will almost certainly impact operations both Saturday and Sunday, and although we’re expecting cold to settle into the region next week with natural snow and a return to snowmaking (and early looks at MLK weekend are very positive) we want to make sure you have access to the information, weather and data we do.

Every season is unique but, rest assured, the snow we’re famous for will fall and land again. For now, the wind that makes us equally infamous will be here this weekend. Please plan accordingly.

Thanks for your attention and your business.

Steve Wright
President/General Manager"

jaytrem

Might be a good weekend for indoor skiing. My sister got the kids a 6-pack of tickets so that they can learn to snowboard. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Cornhead

Hitting Greek tomorrow, I expect it to be alot like last Saturday. I'll be dreaming of the two feet I skied yesterday.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

Pretty much..must be a vail thing?
They did the same thing at stowe..the middle of national didnt open till last week..it had a ton of snow on it..

thebigo

this is feeling more and more like 2016

I suspect if you find a thread from jan 10 2015, people were bitching about the terrible winter, then the pattern changed and we ten feet of snow in february. - give it another couple weeks.

Smellytele

Something maybe brewing for next Saturday night/Sunday. Long ways off but I man can hope - even though I will be driving back from FLA Sunday and can't enjoy it.

abc

Opensnow is hedging its bet on next week, which is disturbing.

It’s a holiday weekend. So either I make reservation and deal with “whatever” condition we end up, or will be sleeping in the car!

This is the first year for a long while that I tried to ski in northeast in January. It’s quickly getting expensive (due to having to scramble last minute to book or cancel base on condition), and frustrating (mixed condition) as a result.

Picking up the Peak mountains “for free” is nice in theory. But “free skiing” can get expensive when lodging cost is high. I’m probably going back to fighting the increased crowd in Ikon next year (the more diverse location and surroundings allows more lodging options, not to mention snow chasing)

Last edited:

SkiingInABlueDream

Any reports from Cannon or Wildcat today? Did summit lifts at cannon ever open? I was going to head to there but changed my mind early this morning. Instead I went mtn biking this afternoon and it was very muddy. Should have gone skiing!

gregnye

Really great day at Sunday River today! It was also my first time there. Rain didn't start until 3:30 and around 9:00 the trails became soft. Lots of bump runs over snowmaking whales!

Also no lifts on windhold

Smellytele

Opensnow is hedging its bet on next week, which is disturbing.

It’s a holiday weekend. So either I make reservation and deal with “whatever” condition we end up, or will be sleeping in the car!

This is the first year for a long while that I tried to ski in northeast in January. It’s quickly getting expensive (due to having to scramble last minute to book or cancel base on condition), and frustrating (mixed condition) as a result.

Picking up the Peak mountains “for free” is nice in theory. But “free skiing” can get expensive when lodging cost is high. I’m probably going back to fighting the increased crowd in Ikon next year (the more diverse location and surroundings allows more lodging options, not to mention snow chasing)

Come on you live in NY and if what everyone says is true you make more than the rest of us so you can afford it.

abc

Come on you live in NY and if what everyone says is true you make more than the rest of us so you can afford it.
Hehe, “what everyone says is true”, it cost a lot more to live here too!

So there’s no more left over to “afford” skiing than others

drjeff

My son checking the depth of the new mini pond that popped up overnight along the side of Little Dipper at Mount Snow!! His poles are 120cm for reference!!

Quite an interesting morning on the hill today!! IMG_20200112_104806467.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

Hunter was very good today..better than expected and colder than expected..uncrowded..blue skies..lower K27 had great bumps as well as upper xover..north side was firm and fast..clairs ..did not open. :(
But skied till 3 and had a good day..

Attachments

• 20200112_134514.jpg
    20200112_134514.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 151

JDMRoma

Any reports from Cannon or Wildcat today? Did summit lifts at cannon ever open? I was going to head to there but changed my mind early this morning. Instead I went mtn biking this afternoon and it was very muddy. Should have gone skiing!

Cannon Upper Mountian lifts never ran while I was there, closed on Sunday.
Gonna need a lot of resurfacing to get it back to skiable !

Mid mountain was showing some serious damage late afternoon saturday before the rain !