• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

kingslug

About 2 hours round trip..
I figured at least Stowe groomed the hell out of the place which in this case worked out.
Ill be back at Jay another time

KustyTheKlown

K was fun today. A little powder if you knew where to look for it. Wind loaded steeps like top of vertigo and skyehawk had great snow. First run of the day on wildfire under the guns was great. South ridge opening skied great. High elevation woods skied ok. Groomers got icy fast.

Started early, skied 27k vert, left at 12:45, home at 6:15

JimG.

Staff member
K was fun today. A little powder if you knew where to look for it. Wind loaded steeps like top of vertigo and skyehawk had great snow. First run of the day on wildfire under the guns was great. South ridge opening skied great. High elevation woods skied ok. Groomers got icy fast.

I'll be back at K tomorrow and Tues. Snow in the forecast 4-6" would be nice.

Greg

Staff member

Not quite the 3-6" that initially were called for, but it was fair. Ridge Run, Powerline were good early. Northstar was okay. Snowdon woods were skiable but scratchy. ROTD was Wildfire bumps under the guns. How long until they mow they all down? Groomers were hard park city after a few hours.

mikec142

Made the Thursday night call to head up the the MRV on Friday afternoon. Stayed in Burlington. As I drove to Sugarbush on Saturday morning, there was the tiniest bit of mist/drizzle in the valley, but about a third of the way up the access road to Lincoln Peak, it turned to snow and didn't stop all day. Thick, heavy, wet flakes and a ton of fog, but it was a very good day. Took the bus over to Mount Ellen around mid-day and was really rewarded. Cruiser was fantastic and Exterminator was the ROTD for me. Was solo this weekend as the family was otherwise occupied at home so I grabbed an early bite at Pro Pig and caught the new Star Wars movie (meh). My jacket was about 15 pounds by the end of the day. Woke up early on Sunday and headed over to Mad River Glen. Still snowing hard so the drive over the gap (not sure the name of it, the one that comes down the hill right to MRG) was a bit nerve wracking. Significantly colder and the wind was blowing. But what a day...still had a drive of 5.5 hours so called it around 1:30 just as the sun was trying to poke it's head out. I was bummed to leave, but the positive was that I was certain that the first 1.5 hours of my drive home would be in shitty conditions and it turned out to be wet roads for the first 15-20 minutes, but not snow/ice covered.

Last edited:

abc

Sunday was a pleasant surprise!

I'm glad I took the chance and stayed up north. Enjoyed the fresh hero snow Sunday morning. (I was xc skiing, but I could see the same condition enjoyable on the mountain too)

kingslug

Looks like a really good week ahead..then the weekend comes .. don't know if its worth driving up to just ski Sunday but its supposed to snow all day.

cdskier

Looks like a really good week ahead..then the weekend comes .. don't know if its worth driving up to just ski Sunday but its supposed to snow all day.

Won't necessarily be all snow Sunday...good be a good amount of sleet mixed in. Maybe even some freezing rain Saturday night.

Still not sure what I'm doing...going to keep watching the forecast as they get a better handle on this as we get closer.

Smellytele

Was planning on the bush for Saturday but not now. Next weekend have to drop a car off in fla to the in laws and drive one back so 2 weekends without skiing.[emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

I've got 20 days in so far so if I miss a few I ...oh fuck it I'll still be bummed. But theres always Hunter for a day trip.

machski

Its funny..every report I've read so far predicts rain..except: Stowe's site....I like their optimism :)

JAN11

• Saturday
  • 42°F Hi
  • 25°F Low
    • 42°F HI
    • 25°F LOW
      • 0-1in
      • DAYTIME SNOW
      • 5-9in
      • OVERNIGHT SNOW

JAN11
Some have accused Vail of intentionally ruining Snow Reports, so guess they re going for forecasts now too LOL!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

But...you never know up there. Most reports are for the town and surrounding area. I'll know by Friday if I want to roll..the dice.

Jcb890

Its funny..every report I've read so far predicts rain..except: Stowe's site....I like their optimism :)

JAN11

• Saturday
  • 42°F Hi
  • 25°F Low
    • 42°F HI
    • 25°F LOW
      • 0-1in
      • DAYTIME SNOW
      • 5-9in
      • OVERNIGHT SNOW

JAN11
I wonder when they posted it...
As of last night I was seeing forecasts predicting snow on the back-end of the storm Saturday night into Sunday for areas like Wildcat, Stowe, etc. whereas further South (Mt. Snow) was showing more rain, but still some snow on the back-end.
Same forecast site still showing snow on the back-end for Stowe and a few mountains actually.

Smellytele

But...you never know up there. Most reports are for the town and surrounding area. I'll know by Friday if I want to roll..the dice.

I go with NOAA and they show the altitude of their pin point forecast. well little more than pin point but they do show the altitude so you can see what it is doing on the hill instead of the village.

Stowe looks worse than just rain:

[FONT=&quot]
Friday Night​
Showers likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 33. Very windy, with a west wind 31 to 36 mph increasing to 38 to 43 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Saturday​
Rain and snow before 10am, then rain between 10am and 4pm, then snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain after 4pm. High near 41. Very windy, with a southwest wind 33 to 43 mph becoming northwest 9 to 14 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
[/FONT]

skef

I'm committed (as in non-refundable hotel room) to Sunday River.

Definitely looks r@!ny Saturday. Oh well.

Weather Underground shows a "wintery mix" early Sunday, but maybe that's just at the base?

snow-forecast shows solid good temps:
snow.jpg

Fingers crossed.