• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

drjeff

killington's webcams show that they've appeared to weather the weather with minimal snowpack loss. compare with magic who were decimated, and that nasty photo of stein's someone posted this week. i'm off this week/weekend, but k looks like the best bet.

Kind of having a weather week where by Sunday in all likelihood, you'll see who put down some real base on their snowmaking terrain and who just put down just enough to get their trail counts up. Most any natural snow terrain is likely going to be getting a bit of a rest from skier/rider traffic until mother nature gets the snow machine going again....

Jcb890

Mt. Snow was up in the 50's for trail count prior to the rain I believe.
Just checked the Snow Report and they are saying 35 trails are/will be open.

Any other reports on how the rain impacted other places?

abc

But what it looks now is not the point though. Another "storm" is coming Friday!

For the majority of the mountains, they'll get rain. A LOT OF rain for some!

There maybe some upslope snow at the tail end of it, which will be late Sunday.

But as far as the "weekend" is concern, it's looking like a washout and/or big freeze.

Jcb890

But what it looks now is not the point though. Another "storm" is coming Friday!

For the majority of the mountains, they'll get rain. A LOT OF rain for some!

There maybe some upslope snow at the tail end of it, which will be late Sunday.

But as far as the "weekend" is concern, it's looking like a washout and/or big freeze.
Oh I know, I was just curious.
Yeah, I'm seeing all the rain projected for Friday into Saturday.

Looking at the weather, it would need to be a decent amount of upslope snow IMO for it to make conditions any good. It's going to be thawed out and a bunch of rain followed by a quick drop below freezing, which typically means 'skating rink' conditions.

Greg

Staff member
Right, Sip should be plentiful in CT. I've seen stacks of cases for $13 a 4-pack. I think all of Sip is brewed by 2 Roads, only variants like Double Sip are made in Warren. Heady is also losing its quality and rareness, the last few times in the store it's well stocked and marked "only" 3 four packs of each Alchemist beer. (Heady and Focal Banger). Branch out some when in VT, you'll find some shining stars.

In your area NEBCO and Single Cut does a decent job, but it's not VT.

Yeah, Sip is all over the place and commonly in stock around here now. Heady has lost its appeal to me a bit. It was one of the first NEIPAs, but there are so many other good beers like it now that I don't think it's far and away a top one any more. I like Focal much more. I drive by NEBCO every day. Some good ones there. Like the Supernaught for an easy drinker.

Greg

Staff member
Skipping this weekend, but booked a stay in the MRV the following weekend until just before Christmas. Total dice roll, but hell why not.

abc

Skipping this weekend, but booked a stay in the MRV the following weekend until just before Christmas. Total dice roll, but hell why not.
Same here. Though my lodging for "pre-Christmas" period is refundable up till next Wednesday, by which time we should hopefully have a good idea on the the weather situation of next weekend.

mister moose

Heady has lost its appeal to me a bit. It was one of the first NEIPAs, but there are so many other good beers like it now that I don't think it's far and away a top one any more. I like Focal much more.
Back in the Waterbury days, a taste of Heady at the brewery would roll my eyes back. However now the creaminess, the grapefruit smack, and the overall smooth amazingness is gone. Due to other similar beers now and a saturation of my taste buds? Somewhat, maybe. But other VTIPAs will still peg the meter, and Heady doesn't do that anymore. And it's really NVTIPA*, with the exception of Foley Bros, all the excellent brewers are north of Warren.

(Might as well talk about beer in a thread about this weekend, nothing else good is going on)

[*With a tip of the hat to Treehouse and Trillium]

KustyTheKlown

While I know people like sours, to me they are gross. Never have the words good beer and sours been on my lips (or finger tips) in the same sentence (until now with a negative).

ya they're not for everyone, and some of them are straight up vinegar-esque. some are great tho. and then there's all the farmhouse ales and saisons and things that are sour-ish but not full on puckerers, which tend to be some of my favorite beers (ie, lots of hill farmstead and wunderkammer stuff, suarez)

Dickc

Gee, My plans for this weekend are a Friday mid morning trip to MGH in Boston to have my back operated on. I will be "in residence" at MGH for the weekend. Might be home just in time for Tuesday's snow which I will not be able to shovel or snow blow. Gonna have to bug my kids to bail me out on that!

Jcb890

While I know people like sours, to me they are gross. Never have the words good beer and sours been on my lips (or finger tips) in the same sentence (until now with a negative).
I like sours personally.
Both of my brothers are more IPA drinkers and hate sours. Oh well.

Gee, My plans for this weekend are a Friday mid morning trip to MGH in Boston to have my back operated on. I will be "in residence" at MGH for the weekend. Might be home just in time for Tuesday's snow which I will not be able to shovel or snow blow. Gonna have to bug my kids to bail me out on that!
Get well soon! Hopefully you have an easy recovery.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Catamount Friday. 1hr 20m from the house, 4" of new snow today, two solid nights of snowmaking coming up. If all that doesn't fix this rain, temps supposed to get to well-above freezing so it won't be a skating rink.

I'll be in Vermont this coming week. Tuesday's storm damn well better deliver!!!!

kingslug

Tried a sour once...aweful..i prefer double ipa's...more bang for the buck
At K i grabbed a can of sip if sunshine. 12.50...wow..but it was tge best beer i had all day...the only one but the best