• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

kingslug

might be better other way around
this is Hunter prediction: doesn't look like a hard freeze saturday night. I had a good time in the drizzle last time I was there. I eventually dried off.
AM Showers55[SUP]°[/SUP]26[SUP]°[/SUP]50%WSW 15 mph72%
UV INDEXSUNRISESUNSETMOONRISEMOONSET
1 of 107:24 am4:46 pm7:02 pm8:59 am
Rain showers early with some sunshine later in the day. Morning high of 55F with temps falling to near

Last edited:

abc

This weekend is a lost cause (by me).

I'm only hoping there's some new snow to refresh the surface for next weekend (MLK)

kingslug

At least now that Hunter is on Epic I can drive up there and if it never stops raining I can...leave. And stop by The Last Chance and have a beer.

drjeff

I saw those first, lol.
They're completely waterproof and warm though?

The longest I've had mine out in the rain for is a couple of 4 - 4.5hr sessions. Totally dry, and my hands stayed warm even without handwarmers, which is something that my late 40's fingers need to unfortunately use most days now to keep from getting cold, even on a "warm" day.... The joys of the aging process!

chuckstah

While it's still to early to make weekend ski plans, Southern NH looks like 60 and dry Saturday, and similar Sunday afternoon with maybe some sun. If this forecast holds, I won't be able to resist some spring turns at Crotched. Spring skiing in January [emoji106][emoji106][emoji481]

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

All waxed up and...fuck it ill find some place to go.... :)
Tuning was done. Bourbon consumed in my basement tonight too. Made sure to tune my son's skis for his highschool race tomorrow night at Mount Southington BEFORE the "refill button" on my bourbon glass was pushed [emoji6]

Going through far too much warm wax this season thus far though!! Will admit though that I am really liking the performance of the new TOKO spray paraffin waxes! Put down a base of hot medium or cold wax for base protection... Let it cool for about 30 minutes (read as drink some beer or Bourbon!) Scrape and brush, then a quick overlay with the spray paraffin of proper temp range, let dry for about 30 minutes and brush again... (When the regular family tuning quiver is typically 4-6 pairs, the cooling time becomes more like "work on the rest of the quiver" time...)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

Sat AM and Sunday PM look doable but Meh.. I'm looking for Trees and natural snow at this point in the season and am already pretty committed to MLK weekend. I'll take the opportunity to do a couple of warm (for jan) bike rides at home instead. Plus, get some work done so I can chase the snow when it (hopefully) comes.

I'm too far away for a day trip. Good luck fellas. I just hope too much damage doesn't occur. I'm afraid natural snow trails in SoVT will be back to dirt and rocks by monday.

KustyTheKlown

Sunday Hunter prediction is for early rain then sun...I'll be there.

by the way, this is what i mean when i say you make questionable decisions. i get that you can ski hunter, and it's close-ish, and it's free. but nothing about it sounds quality or fun at all.

it almost reminds me of the time tuna insisted the incoming ice storm would be snow and then he wrecked his car.

to be clear, i wish you no misfortune driving in marginal ski weather. i just think you make weird decisions.

abc

Actually, forecast for Hunter this weekend does look like "skiable" weather. Warm and soft. And the rain doesn't look like a soaker either.

That said, I'm not going. Reason, as NY DirtBag puts it, most of us are "looking for trees and natural snow at this point in the season". Groomers on a 50 degree rainy day in January? You're right, "nothing about it sounds quality or fun".

Long range forecast for MLK weekend looks better at this point. So I'm saving my gas (and time for chores) for that instead.

KustyTheKlown

yeah, if the high end of opensnow's forecast is to be believed, northern vermont will get 10-15" after the wetness, in multiple 1-3" chunks. i don't really doubt it, the lake effect and upslope can produce lots of little events up there. i think burke will be a solid move for snow and for holiday crowd avoidance - lesser known, relatively further away than most places, high speed quad. other thoughts were bolton and smuggs but i think their lift infrastructures are lacking on a holiday weekend. if they do really well, i'll spring for the cost and drive for an a la carte day at jay. hotel in lyndon reserved. free to cancel til 1/17.

abc

I usually xc ski on the Saturday of these holiday weekends. Sunday will still be busy but usually less so than Saturday. So it'll be a game time decision, largely depends on weather/condition.

Not everybody gets Monday off. So that's when I eye the slopes, provided condition is favorable. If not, I head home.

This year, I bought a season pass for xc also. Compare to downhill, I found it a lot more rewarding to do a couple hours of xc even when condition are equally marginal.

drjeff

I'll ski both days. Gong to be in VT regardless. Got the pass. Got plenty of gore-tex. Still haven't run out of warm weather wax this season. And I will admit that many times over the years, on days with the likely weather we'll be having this weekend, I have ended up staying out far longer and having a much better day than I thought I would. Is it because I'm going into days like we're likely going to have with no/low expectations? Or is it because sometimes it's just fun being out on the hill on soft snow, regardless of what's falling from the sky? Not sure.

It's skiing. It's far better than not skiing in my book! I'm 100% with Kingslug on this one!

abc

It's skiing. It's far better than not skiing in my book!
It depends on whether you got other "stuff" waiting to get done.

Over the Christmas/NY holiday, I skied on several of the marginal days. Why? Because I've already earmarked the whole 2 weeks for skiing (and some partying). Nothing useful can get done over that period anyway. Might as well ski, marginal condition or not.

But back into the grind, there're chores that needs to get done. So it's ski on a marginal day or do chores. (some chores can wait till spring, but others can't).