• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

NYDB

yes, just a sprinkle at hunter sunday. nothing to see here...

View attachment 25940

that's 6am. There is no doubt it will rain hard all night, its just a question of when it stops. It looks like it moves out quick late morning. Euro says same thing. Might be ok from 11-4.

If I was within an hour or 2 drive and had an epic pass I might be tempted

cdskier

thank you, i've always wondered what time zone the gfs is in. where does it even say?

Right next to the "12" in the upper left. "z" stands for Zulu and is the standard time you'll see in pretty much any model map.

KustyTheKlown

got it, thanks. so that is "universal time" as referenced in articles about plane crashes for example? and it seems to be the same as GMT?

i still maintain that skiing hunter on sunday wont be good or fun, tho it will be uncharacteristically uncrowded for a weekend.

cdskier

got it, thanks. so that is "universal time" as referenced in articles about plane crashes for example? and it seems to be the same as GMT?

Yes, Zulu is commonly used in Military and Aviation (and weather) and refers to UTC/GMT time.

kingslug

It's skiing. It's far better than not skiing in my book! I'm 100% with Kingslug on this one!
yup...

"i dont like it. its free and its 3:55 minutes from home".....
sounds like almost the same as me..except I like Hunter. ..and its 2 hours from me :)

skiur

Skiing in the rain can be ok depending on visibility. The snow is almost always soft. Unfortunately, more times than not the clouds are very low, there is a ton of fog and you have to keep wiping your googles putting it into the skiing by braille category which is no fun in my book.

KustyTheKlown

It's skiing. It's far better than not skiing in my book! I'm 100% with Kingslug on this one!
yup...

"i dont like it. its free and its 3:55 minutes from home".....
sounds like almost the same as me..except I like Hunter. ..and its 2 hours from me :)

yea but i dont go to stratton in the middle of or just after a massive rainfall. i go when i can ski their woods. and last week after i posted that i didnt even end up at stratton. i decided to burn a killington day because the skiing was substantially better at k.

tnt1234

Home from four days at Big Sky, so happy to take a break this weekend...having said that....I could ski Sunday if a miracle happens and everything close isn't washed out.

KustyTheKlown

newest model run has the rain advancing south later and moving out faster. there's no positive spin to put on this weekend, but at least the damage may be less than originally thought.

abc

I don't seem to recall how bad 2016 was. In other words, not too memorable in any negative way.

And I'm not unhappy about this year so far. Not here in the east anyway. My only issue is I keep waiting for Whistler or Crested Butte to open their expert runs so I can head out there. In fact, I'm glad I've been able to be "on the ice" here while waiting.