• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend

kingslug

NOAA Mt Mansfield weather: sporty but may be interesting.
[FONT=&quot]
Saturday​
Rain and snow before 10am, then rain between 10am and 4pm, then snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain after 4pm. High near 41. Very windy, with a southwest wind 33 to 43 mph becoming northwest 9 to 14 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Saturday Night​
Snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain before 3am, then snow and sleet. Low around 18. Breezy, with a north wind 7 to 12 mph becoming southeast 19 to 24 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Sunday​
Snow and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Blustery, with a north wind 11 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
[/FONT]

shwilly

Looking like a weekend to take a nice long run Saturday morning, schedule play dates for the kids, and catch up on some volunteer stuff that I uh signed up for but haven't done.

Monday night's forecast calls for steady beer during the national championship game, so it's just as well that I won't be in ski country all weekend.

Hawk

I'm not going to ever look at the weather. I am going to go up and ski. Whatever the weather. Then I am going to go down to the bar and have a few drinks with friends and have a smokey treat or two. That will improve my attitude immensely. Not going to worry about it at all. ;-)

Smellytele

Noaa is showing NH getting snow on Sunday now where VT is still showing mix. Cannon showing snow starting around 1am on Sunday. Even So NH is showing snow on Sunday, well at Pats peak any way.

Hawk

At 5 days out this is all crap. Just like last week, the forecast totally changed in that amount of time. Wait until Friday and make a game time decision if it matters to you guys.

abc

The weather only change "a little" last weekend.

When it's borderline, it's everyone's choice to gamble on the optimistic side or the pessimistic side.

I think I made the decision to gamble on the optimistic side on Thursday. It worked out for Sunday. Wished I could stayed Monday as well.

This coming week? I'm not gambling. I'm staying home because a lot of other factors.

Greg

Staff member
At 5 days out this is all crap. Just like last week, the forecast totally changed in that amount of time. Wait until Friday and make a game time decision if it matters to you guys.

Not easy waiting until the last minute being 4 hours out unless you have property nearby. I rescheduled a stay for early Feb. If some miracle happens, might try to get out to SoVT.

bdfreetuna

Carpe diem.

Work on your carving.

Snowmaking and grooming are a lot better than it used to be.

Learn to accept imperfection.

The season is young.

abc

I don’t “work” on my recreations!

If I carve, it’s because I enjoy it. But like mister moose, I’d have tons of opportunity to do it. Moguls? Natural trails? Not quite so much.

It’s time for a change, aka some real snow!

drjeff

I've been working so much on carving this season I can carve deli slices. It's time for some snow.
My MVP this season on far too many days has been the pair of snowmaker recommend gloves.... Joka Polar Extremes (available on Amazon)... Just don't wipe your nose with them as the outer surface has the texture of a running track!! They are totally waterproof, but their dexterity would make opening up a can of some juicy hop adult beverage goodness quite difficult!! [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

.THURSDAY...Partly sunny. A slight chance of snow showers in themorning. Highs around 15. Northwest winds 30 to 35 mph with gustsup to 45 mph, diminishing to 10 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Windchill values as low as 32 below in the morning.

OY..Mt Mansfield. Then it will be 40 and raining on the weekend...too weird.

guess I could ski in the rain at Hunter Sunday

Last edited:

NYDB

best bet maybe getting out early sat before the heavy rain starts? As long as it doesn't freeze hard fri night. IDK. lemonade.

drjeff

The other weird thing this weekend is that the building winds on Saturday will be out of the SW which isn't the typical direction that we typically get winds from this time of year, so some lift holds may not be on the lifts that the typical wind direction (NW) causes....

We need a "normal" weather weekend ASAP!!

Jcb890

My MVP this season on far too many days has been the pair of snowmaker recommend gloves.... Joka Polar Extremes (available on Amazon)... Just don't wipe your nose with them as the outer surface has the texture of a running track!! They are totally waterproof, but their dexterity would make opening up a can of some juicy hop adult beverage goodness quite difficult!! [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app
Haha wtf, says they're made of PVC. Looks like they are full-on abrasive texture - probably nice for guys running the snow equipment.
Are they insulated and warm or what?
Here's the link I found:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KX89N7D/ref=twister_B07KX83Z2N?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

drjeff

Haha wtf, says they're made of PVC. Looks like they are full-on abrasive texture - probably nice for guys running the snow equipment.
Are they insulated and warm or what?
Here's the link I found:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KX89N7D/ref=twister_B07KX83Z2N?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Those are slightly different than the pair I have which are in the link below

https://www.amazon.com/Joka-Polar-G...6WCGDFPXE2C&psc=1&refRID=8YBJ604M76WCGDFPXE2C

The liner of mine is removable, and they're warm. The outer surface is definitely abrasive! You get some looks from folks on the chair or near you in line while wearing them for sure! :grin:

Jcb890