• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole Christmas Week

Zermatt

Heading to JH on Christmas day and flying home on New Year's day..

Planning to ski most days but also want to do some sightseeing. Assuming it's not snowing what will be the best days to not ski? Will Saturday and Sunday be the most crowded? Or will it be pretty equal?

Assuming lots of people will still be traveling on the 26th so that would be a good day to ski.

KustyTheKlown

i skied a ton in jackson the two years after college when some friends were living there. one was working for tgr. we were there for xmas thru new years, i wanna say 2007-2008 (?). it snowed and snowed and snowed. then on new years day my buddy had to get up at like 5 AM to go shoot eric roner for TGR in cody bowl.

jimk

I don't know what to tell you, but I hope you'll report back on how it goes on both skiing and sightseeing. My guess would be that Saturday would be the busiest on the slopes. I'll be out there later this winter.
How much terrain is open right now? That place was real busy the last two times I was there in mid-season 2015 + 2018. If the trail count is modest this Christmas, the silver lining could be to tamp crowds down.

5aa9e54dc3c7b_CopyofDSCN1315.thumb.JPG.1830fb58f9746329e7e3f2a061763bce.JPG

abc

Do you have to decide now?

This is a board of the east coast. At best, people only ski there a handful of times. The experience are limited.

I would ask the people working on the mountain once there. I have a hunch weekend are mobbed by Ikon skiers from Salt Lake, but that’s only another semi-educated guess.

KustyTheKlown

i know jackson locals were crying particularly loudly about ikon last year, but do you really think its SLC people? the SLC people have oodles of ikon opportunity in their backyards. i'd think jackson (if crowding was actually attributable to ikon) would be getting more out of town get on an airplane vacationer type visits than SLC drivers. i've done the SLC>Big Sky drive (2 seasons ago when utah was bone dry over xmas but big sky was in great shape), and its not a particularly fun drive. comparable to a nyc>jay peak jaunt.

crank

I don't know what to tell you, but I hope you'll report back on how it goes on both skiing and sightseeing. My guess would be that Saturday would be the busiest on the slopes. I'll be out there later this winter.
How much terrain is open right now? That place was real busy the last two times I was there in mid-season 2015 + 2018. If the trail count is modest this Christmas, the silver lining could be to tamp crowds down.

5aa9e54dc3c7b_CopyofDSCN1315.thumb.JPG.1830fb58f9746329e7e3f2a061763bce.JPG

Is that Vince on the slip into Corbett's?

FBGM

Take pictures of animals with Asians.

Try to pet animals with Asians. Or put baby animals in car because they look cold.

Probably almost get in a car accident with Asians.

Jackson and surrounding areas are a zoo. A very expensive zoo.

Razor

Snowmobiles

One of the best experiences we ever had was a snowmobile tour to Old Faithful from Jackson Hole. Took the whole day.

jimk

Didn't follow. Although I did circle around high on the shoulder and came out at the top of the apron. It's pretty bad a$$ from all angles:daffy:
5aa9e55af2570_CopyofDSCN1318.thumb.JPG.f3836c4a4ac0d6e3718e1bf0ca745f40.JPG

He did three laps in there. This was on our way to Revy, Louise and Sunshine. I wanted to live another day to see and ski those places, but I at least put my ski tip over the edge.;)

mikec142

Didn't follow. Although I did circle around high on the shoulder and came out at the top of the apron. It's pretty bad a$$ from all angles:daffy:

He did three laps in there. This was on our way to Revy, Louise and Sunshine. I wanted to live another day to see and ski those places, but I at least put my ski tip over the edge.;)

We were there in Winter 2016. Leading up to the trip I'd watched about 100 videos of people dropping into Corbet's. By the time we were heading out there, I felt like it was a 75% chance I would ski Corbet's. I looked over the edge and have a similar picture of my ski tip over the edge. The second I saw what it actually was, I was like eff that!!!!

Zermatt

Only looking to decide now if I need to book ski school early....not sure I do.

I was there last March and Ikon was not a popular word. They were also having an insane snow year. Even with all the snow Corbett's was a big drop to get in and closed because it was too icy (warmed up earlier in the week then froze hard).

A good amount is open now, and they are getting a big storm cycle this weekend. I suspect most terrain will be open by Christmas if they get a big dump this weekend. 2-3 more feet would get it done. I've only been a few times to JH, but if it is anything like Alta/Snowbird they are nearing that magical 100" mark that seems to push them over the edge where everything is skiable.

raisingarizona

Looks cold and firm!

It’s Christmas break, those are all some of the busiest days of the season but you’ll still have plenty of fun I imagine.

SLC has more snow and plenty of terrain open right now but Jackson is slowly creeping up in snowfall and base, sublette opens tomorrow. If it continues to snow there will be plenty open to keep you entertained.

Zermatt

What kind of skiing does the op enjoy?

Want any tips on how to ski the mountain?

Off trail if conditions are good, in bounds hiking if really good, otherwise fast and steep groomers. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Also interested in thoughts for my intermediate wife and advanced beginner children.

I've skied 10 days at JH, but still have a lot to learn.

kingslug

Apre vous which is next to the main mt is great for intermediates..and experts as well..and less crowded than the main area..study the trail map. All the way skiers right is Saratoga bowl..very difficult but very worth it..good glades before it as well..its my go to area when the crowds pile up. Also if you want a guide but dont want to pay for a true guided day just sign up for an expert lesson. You may end up with only 1 to 3 in your group and they will get you the goods..i do it every time.
And if you want to hit the Hobacks..make sure of conditions..ask patrol.
Il

KustyTheKlown

yea, the hobacks are low elevation and can have drastically different snow than the top of your run at rendezvous bowl. can be very manky, in which case they feel like they go on forever and ever and are not much fun.

kingslug

Last year in the morning we're standing around after a foot plus dump and everyone is debating when to go in them..umm..we will be the first ones in today..debate over..see ya. 3 runs and your a little cooked.