• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whisk(e)y Thread

mister moose

Bourbon :roll: Leave to us mericans to take something good and f#@k it up with corn.

Heathen. 'mericans have done nothing to Scotch, and fine bourbon is quite good. I will thank all the high end Scotch drinkers for not further bidding up the bourbon, it's expensive enough already. I tend towards Woodford, Elija Craig, Breckenridge, Blantons, Bookers. Meanwhile the Scotch in my cabinet gets poured hardly at all. Plus, apricot bread pudding with bourbon cream sauce is excellent, I have yet to see Scotch cream sauce on anything. I've never had a Scotch Julep. I've seen bourbon barrel maple syrup. Bourbon barrel aged stout is a joy to behold if done by a skilled brewer. Innis & Gunn, now there's a tasty Scotch I can get behind.

Has anyone else had Jameson's cask series aged in IPA barrels? Tasty.

Scruffy

Heathen. 'mericans have done nothing to Scotch, and fine bourbon is quite good. I will thank all the high end Scotch drinkers for not further bidding up the bourbon, it's expensive enough already. I tend towards Woodford, Elija Craig, Breckenridge, Blantons, Bookers. Meanwhile the Scotch in my cabinet gets poured hardly at all. Plus, apricot bread pudding with bourbon cream sauce is excellent, I have yet to see Scotch cream sauce on anything. I've never had a Scotch Julep. I've seen bourbon barrel maple syrup. Bourbon barrel aged stout is a joy to behold if done by a skilled brewer. Innis & Gunn, now there's a tasty Scotch I can get behind.

Has anyone else had Jameson's cask series aged in IPA barrels? Tasty.

Well, we've done nothing to Scotch per se, since we can't really, unless we invade Scotland and do something drastic, but bourbon is whisky or whiskey, made with corn, and that's the f#@k up; it's sweeter and tastes of charred wood. And, being sweeter is why you like it in desserts. If Bourbon was made with malt or rye, I'd be all over it. The Scots were the first to produce whisky, circa 1494, with malted barley, not corn. Rye is the original American spirit, not bourbon. But, different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy a good bourbon, have at it, and I will thank you bourbon drinkers for keeping a lid on scotch prices.

Cheers :beer:

drjeff

And with nice timing to the start of this thread, part of the gift my staff gave me today at our holiday luncheon!

Tasting notes to follow! [emoji16]IMG_20191213_180324547.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

The Macallan 12 double cask. My vanilla loving taste buds are happy. Mellow oaky notes, and some dark fruity notes come out, but not overwhelm the palate as it warms up a touch. A solid highland single malt! IMG_20191213_200430_984.jpg

Orca

Bowmore is about perfect to me. Beautiful balance of the peaty Islay, but brighter than the others. Magnificent!

drjeff

Trying to figure out the "best" scotch is akin to trying to figure out the "best" pair of skis these days... It's a personal preference. There's SO many GREAT options out there! And bar none it's so much fun "demo'ing" them! [emoji16]

djd66

Not sure if you guys are aware, you will soon be seeing a significant price increase on all single malts. There is a new 25% tariff that took effect this fall.

skiberg1

18 yr old Highland Park is in waiting for tonight. It’s been described as “glorious”. We’ll see.

Smellytele

Well, we've done nothing to Scotch per se, since we can't really, unless we invade Scotland and do something drastic, but bourbon is whisky or whiskey, made with corn, and that's the f#@k up; it's sweeter and tastes of charred wood. And, being sweeter is why you like it in desserts. If Bourbon was made with malt or rye, I'd be all over it. The Scots were the first to produce whisky, circa 1494, with malted barley, not corn. Rye is the original American spirit, not bourbon. But, different strokes for different folks. If you enjoy a good bourbon, have at it, and I will thank you bourbon drinkers for keeping a lid on scotch prices.

Cheers :beer:

I do like rye better than Bourbon

granite

Support your local distillery. Bourbon, Rye and Brandy from Flag Hill Distillery and Winery in Lee, NH. The 12 year old Niagara Brandy is the best I ever had. The Bourbon and Rye are fantastic. They make a Gin and Vodka too. Their Gin might be the best you ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 79

1dog

12 year or 18 year old Talisker - the olny single malt made on the Isle of Skye.

Smokey Velvet - sips - no need for even a splash of water ( I know thats not cool among some single malters)

This is the smoothest single I've ever tasted: Glenrothes 12 Year Old
Glenrothes 12 Year Old
70cl / 40%
Have had two others and none have dissapointed.

Great Sat night by the fire after a pound on the hill.

Greg

Staff member
Oban 14.
Done.

Bowmore is about perfect to me. Beautiful balance of the peaty Islay, but brighter than the others. Magnificent!

Spent Saturday night with a friend alternating between Bowmore 12 and Oban 14. Two very different but excellent whiskeys.

I know Lagavulin 16 is highly regarded. How does it compare to the 8 year. Never tried the 16, but didn't care for the 8.

2Planker

Spent Saturday night with a friend alternating between Bowmore 12 and Oban 14. Two very different but excellent whiskeys.

I know Lagavulin 16 is highly regarded. How does it compare to the 8 year. Never tried the 16, but didn't care for the 8.

A true Scotsman knows that it's spelled - Whisky.....

Last edited:

Some great whisky coming out of Brooklyn lately. I prefer less pete. Macallan 18 is my favorite along with Livet 14 and Mac 12. Low end, I used to drink a lot of Speyburn 10, but the price is now almost the same as others.

2Planker

I tend to like Speyside whiskys. Glenfarclas is a favorite and if you can get a hold of the 25 year old....man on man.
Best LOW price....
[h=2]Speyburn Bradan Orach[/h] Price: $20
If you ask me, this is hands down the tastiest single malt a lone Andrew Jackson can get you. The juice is matured entirely in ex-bourbon casks, with peppery oak, rich vanilla, and toasted nutmeg notes playing yin to the bright lemon and sweet honey’s yang. Apparently Bradan Orach is Gaelic for “golden salmon,” but don’t worry, we’re pretty sure it’s still vegan.