• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whisk(e)y Thread

Greg

Staff member
I know there's an old one in Misc but nobody posts there anymore so....new thread here.

My taste for whiskey has matured a bit and have been into scotch the past few years. Total peated Islay fan. Top favorites usually on the shelf right now are Ardbeg 10 and Laphoroig 10. Anyone else a scotch drinker? Seems to compliment ski season!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can't drink it. And I've tried and tried. I ran bars a couple of the finest resorts in New England throughout my 20s with very high end scotch lists. Have many friends into Scotch who have had me try their favorite 12, 18, 25 year selections.

It all goes back to my first drunk in high school raiding my parents liquor cabinet. My dad drank J&B. It's obviously garbage scotch, but it was the only brand they had on his base in Korea when he served, so that's what he developed a taste for. I got puke my guts out drunk on it that night and ever since all scotch brings back that retched memory.

I do love Bourbon though. I'm mainly a wine and beer guy, but keep a bottle of this around and have a neat glass or two to sip about once a month.

IMG_20191212_213611078.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Big Scotch guy here, and also love the smoky, peaty malts. If you like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, the next peg up is Lagavulin 16. If you really want a peaty novelty, pick up a Bruichladdich Octomore. Any expression will do. Also see if you can find the Laphroaig 10 in its cask strength form. It'll knock your socks off. The triple wood is meh. Ardbeg 10 is a classic favorite, but the Uigedail is spectacular.

My favorites are definitely the big Islays - Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, et. al. But I try to expand my horizons. On the Highland front, I really enjoy Dalwhinnie 15. I used to be a major Highland Park fan, but their quality has declined as they've tried to market themselves to the masses (I recall writing a scathing review of the new 12 year "Viking Honor" on a whisky review site somewhere...). The Jura is a fun malt that I enjoy. And Sprinkbank 10 is a good choice to explore the Campbeltown whiskys. There's so much to explore. I try to keep a couple of my go-to whiskys on the shelf, but also try to pick up something new a few times a year to probe the depths of the world of single malt Scotch.

mbedle

Can't drink it. And I've tried and tried. I ran bars a couple of the finest resorts in New England throughout my 20s with very high end scotch lists. Have many friends into Scotch who have had me try their favorite 12, 18, 25 year selections.

It all goes back to my first drunk in high school raiding my parents liquor cabinet. My dad drank J&B. It's obviously garbage scotch, but it was the only brand they had on his base in Korea when he served, so that's what he developed a taste for. I got puke my guts out drunk on it that night and ever since all scotch brings back that retched memory.

I do love Bourbon though. I'm mainly a wine and beer guy, but keep a bottle of this around and have a neat glass or two to sip about once a month.

View attachment 25810

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Makes a real good Manhattan.... lol

Smellytele

Big Scotch guy here, and also love the smoky, peaty malts. If you like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, the next peg up is Lagavulin 16. If you really want a peaty novelty, pick up a Bruichladdich Octomore. Any expression will do. Also see if you can find the Laphroaig 10 in its cask strength form. It'll knock your socks off. The triple wood is meh. Ardbeg 10 is a classic favorite, but the Uigedail is spectacular.

My favorites are definitely the big Islays - Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, et. al. But I try to expand my horizons. On the Highland front, I really enjoy Dalwhinnie 15. I used to be a major Highland Park fan, but their quality has declined as they've tried to market themselves to the masses (I recall writing a scathing review of the new 12 year "Viking Honor" on a whisky review site somewhere...). The Jura is a fun malt that I enjoy. And Sprinkbank 10 is a good choice to explore the Campbeltown whiskys. There's so much to explore. I try to keep a couple of my go-to whiskys on the shelf, but also try to pick up something new a few times a year to probe the depths of the world of single malt Scotch.

Well I know what to stay away from anyway. Do not like peaty and Smoky.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

2Planker

Well I know what to stay away from anyway. Do not like peaty and Smoky.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It's in my blood, literally.
I was born in Aberdeen and came to the US as an infant. Parents were from the highlands....

Definitely a thumbs up for Lagavulin and Laphroaig !! Also really enjoy the Oban 14

drjeff

My 2 favorite current Scotches (and I will admit to having 25% Scottish heritage in my lineage, so I suppose I am predisposed to like Scotch a bit ;-) )

1) Dalwhinnie 15 - just very smooth. Mild smokey notes, minimal peaty notes to my palate and some vanilla that tends to come out as the rock melts a bit.

2) Port Charlotte 10 from Bruichladdich - not over powering on the peat or smokey side, but just enough that you know the distiller has a traditional view of how a scotch should be distilled and aged, with once again some vanilla notes (one of my favorite flavors regardless of the type of food or beverage I am consuming). I will be curious to see how a 15yr version of this tastes when it is likely released in a few years, as the distillery was revived from the "dead" about 15 years ago now

KustyTheKlown

Total cretin on hard liquor - Jameson for me

I can geek out on craft beer for days tho

I tried convincing myself for a long time that I liked red wine, but I just don’t. Some whites are ok for me, but at that point I’d rather have a saison

ceo

I'm definitely in the peaty and smoky camp. Talisker and Lagavulin are my longtime favorites, also partial to Edradour, Balvenie, Bruichladdich and, well, too many others to list.

For a long time I've named my computers after single malt Scotches, a practice a network administrator friend has called "all well and good until you have to reboot Bunnahabhain at three o'clock in the morning"

jg17

I keep telling myself I want to explore the scotch world more, but I keep ordering beer whenever I'm out. However. Lagavulin 16 is the scotch of choice when I'm at home. Some great suggestions in this thread though!