Whisk(e)y Thread

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Whisk(e)y Thread

I know there's an old one in Misc but nobody posts there anymore so....new thread here.

My taste for whiskey has matured a bit and have been into scotch the past few years. Total peated Islay fan. Top favorites usually on the shelf right now are Ardbeg 10 and Laphoroig 10. Anyone else a scotch drinker? Seems to compliment ski season!

I gave it up for bourbon and rye..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    That's what good old boys where singing on the day music died

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Bourbon Leave to us mericans to take something good and f#@k it up with corn.

Scotch: Balvenie is my goto. I like a good rye too.

Why is scotch aged in used American bourbon barrels? How was it made before there was an America?

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-s...-whisky-aging/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Can't drink it. And I've tried and tried. I ran bars a couple of the finest resorts in New England throughout my 20s with very high end scotch lists. Have many friends into Scotch who have had me try their favorite 12, 18, 25 year selections.

It all goes back to my first drunk in high school raiding my parents liquor cabinet. My dad drank J&B. It's obviously garbage scotch, but it was the only brand they had on his base in Korea when he served, so that's what he developed a taste for. I got puke my guts out drunk on it that night and ever since all scotch brings back that retched memory.

I do love Bourbon though. I'm mainly a wine and beer guy, but keep a bottle of this around and have a neat glass or two to sip about once a month.

IMG_20191212_213611078.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Big Scotch guy here, and also love the smoky, peaty malts. If you like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, the next peg up is Lagavulin 16. If you really want a peaty novelty, pick up a Bruichladdich Octomore. Any expression will do. Also see if you can find the Laphroaig 10 in its cask strength form. It'll knock your socks off. The triple wood is meh. Ardbeg 10 is a classic favorite, but the Uigedail is spectacular.

My favorites are definitely the big Islays - Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, et. al. But I try to expand my horizons. On the Highland front, I really enjoy Dalwhinnie 15. I used to be a major Highland Park fan, but their quality has declined as they've tried to market themselves to the masses (I recall writing a scathing review of the new 12 year "Viking Honor" on a whisky review site somewhere...). The Jura is a fun malt that I enjoy. And Sprinkbank 10 is a good choice to explore the Campbeltown whiskys. There's so much to explore. I try to keep a couple of my go-to whiskys on the shelf, but also try to pick up something new a few times a year to probe the depths of the world of single malt Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I do love Bourbon though. I'm mainly a wine and beer guy, but keep a bottle of this around and have a neat glass or two to sip about once a month.
    That will clean out the pipes for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Can't drink it. And I've tried and tried. I ran bars a couple of the finest resorts in New England throughout my 20s with very high end scotch lists. Have many friends into Scotch who have had me try their favorite 12, 18, 25 year selections.

It all goes back to my first drunk in high school raiding my parents liquor cabinet. My dad drank J&B. It's obviously garbage scotch, but it was the only brand they had on his base in Korea when he served, so that's what he developed a taste for. I got puke my guts out drunk on it that night and ever since all scotch brings back that retched memory.

IMG_20191212_213611078.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Makes a real good Manhattan.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by BushMogulMaster View Post
    Big Scotch guy here, and also love the smoky, peaty malts. If you like Laphroaig and Ardbeg, the next peg up is Lagavulin 16. If you really want a peaty novelty, pick up a Bruichladdich Octomore. Any expression will do. Also see if you can find the Laphroaig 10 in its cask strength form. It'll knock your socks off. The triple wood is meh. Ardbeg 10 is a classic favorite, but the Uigedail is spectacular.

My favorites are definitely the big Islays - Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, et. al. But I try to expand my horizons. On the Highland front, I really enjoy Dalwhinnie 15. I used to be a major Highland Park fan, but their quality has declined as they've tried to market themselves to the masses (I recall writing a scathing review of the new 12 year "Viking Honor" on a whisky review site somewhere...). The Jura is a fun malt that I enjoy. And Sprinkbank 10 is a good choice to explore the Campbeltown whiskys. There's so much to explore. I try to keep a couple of my go-to whiskys on the shelf, but also try to pick up something new a few times a year to probe the depths of the world of single malt Scotch.
    Well I know what to stay away from anyway. Do not like peaty and Smoky.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information