• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whisk(e)y Thread

ghughes20

Dalmore 12 is a current fave. I also like Bowmore 12, an Islay scotch.

I often have a whisky after skiing. It's best to consume near a roaring fireplace with snow falling outside. Heaven.

mister moose

I do like rye better than Bourbon
A lot of the better rye doesn't make it out of Canada, but one local producer imports select Canadian rye and has started growing and distilling their own:

Whistlepig.

Seems to be quite worthy to my bourbon accustomed tongue.

Greg

Staff member
Renamed the thread since we have some bourbon, rye, etc. talk in here. For a good budget bourbon, I've been enjoying Eagle Rare. Open to some other recommendations.

As far as straight up american whiskey, I would highly recommend Michter's American. Their bourbon is good too. Not a huge fan of the Rye though.

How about Japanese whiskeys. Any recommendations?

Smellytele

A lot of the better rye doesn't make it out of Canada, but one local producer imports select Canadian rye and has started growing and distilling their own:

Whistlepig.

Seems to be quite worthy to my bourbon accustomed tongue.

I like whistlepig. Also don't mind a swig of Bullet rye on the slopes.

mister moose

Seems like a good time to revive this thread. Tonight I was doing some comparative tasting across Laws 4 Grain, and Woodford 4 Wood. Been a while since I poured some Stranahans and I had a nip of that too. I got it as a gift back in their early days and I've obviously poured it just once in a while. It was an acquired tasted, for me it went from "It's OK", to "This is pretty good" to "This is outstanding!" Maybe it's aging better in the bottle. The other interesting tidbit is Stranahans is 100% single malt US whiskey, aged in new charred oak barrels. Turns out I can really appreciate single malt, just from this side of the Atlantic. I got some Talisker as a gift this year, waiting for a Scotch friend to break that open with.