• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

teton gravity research x grateful dead

KustyTheKlown

new 30 min ski film 'fire on the mountain' dropped today -

they also have a pretty rad merchandise collaboration going on: https://shop.tetongravity.com/collections/grateful-dead-x-teton-gravity-research-collection

and there's also some more high end type apparel and gear as part of this. its all chris benchetler stuff.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/...dcCayVTIaJBbqtooP64hAfNdqMcaQ3choCwTIQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...LxGdMvthSewKguElOo_4g13isqaq68HxoCmI8QAvD_BwE

https://theskimonster.com/products/atomic-bent-chelter-grateful-dead/

Julius

Whoa! What a great surf/ski production. Just awesome.

Thanks for the heads up!

eb5d048725fbcd9cac58e4a89762e8ae.jpg

KustyTheKlown

I try to keep my office pretty deady
4F61606D-167B-4FA4-85AE-A3E76FCA74D3.jpg

Here’s me and Phil at SFO airport. Best 18 hour flight delay ever
1B0CA160-0FB5-4BE8-8DAD-4A95905A8289.jpg

Edd

Just watched on a big TV with headphones. Nice to zone out to.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jimmywilson69

I thought this was really well done, with both the scene selection and music selection. All too often the music is border line terrible in most ski movies.

Edd

Well, it’s the Dead so they could hardly go wrong here. I agree ski movies have some lousy songs but I do find myself Shazaming a lot while watching them.

I’m just thankful I don’t have to hear Van Halen watching them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

really nice video...the merch, eh...never been much of a fan of the commodification...some of the stuff jerry's estate does makes me cringe...missing finger shot glasses, weed strains and whatnot.

KustyTheKlown

i got the grey stealie tgr shirt. two brands that are important to me together. i'm fine with that.

crank

really nice video...the merch, eh...never been much of a fan of the commodification...some of the stuff jerry's estate does makes me cringe...missing finger shot glasses, weed strains and whatnot.

Went to see a show at the capitol Theatre Friday and they played a promo video for some Jerry Garcia cannabis?

KustyTheKlown

How was that show? Tommy is the man. So glad to finally see him getting his due with jrad and these other dead projects. Brothers past was a great band that never found their audience and Tom couldn’t be a nicer guy

crank

How was that show? Tommy is the man. So glad to finally see him getting his due with jrad and these other dead projects. Brothers past was a great band that never found their audience and Tom couldn’t be a nicer guy

It was really good.

I love Tom's playing as well. He has his own take on GD material and is not a Jerry clone. Oteil is awesome as well.

I have seen JRAD a few times and while they are in some ways great, I feel like every song does not call for 2 long guitar solos and a really long keyboard solo. A little too jammy for me I guess. This line up was much less jammy and more song oriented. Friday's show was not sold out so we were able to split time in our balcony seats and go get close and dance on the floor as well.

I met and talked to Tom a bit at Lockin summer before last where I accosted him and Joe Russo as they were walking around. Both were very nice and willing to talk to a rabid amateur guitarist / fan boy.

KustyTheKlown

yea i would imagine this past weekend's shows were way less type2 jam focused than a jrad show. as a disco biscuits guy (~145 shows since 12/29/00 - jesus), i'm a slut for 20+ minute type2 improv, and every guy in jrad is a master of it (except for dave, ween really isn't a jamband, but he's certaintly grown the chops to keep up with the jrad guys), so i'm a huge jrad supporter as far as current grateful dead acts go. joe actually almost joined the biscuits in 2005 when their original drummer left. he was offered the job and turned it down at the last minute.

i was supposed to see ween in philly this past saturday, but girlfriend got sick, and with me taking the weekend off of skiing, leaving her to go see ween would have been highly frowned upon

russo is also a mensch. living in brooklyn, i get the opportunity to see joe play in tons of different configurations, in tiny venues, on random weeknights. this week i am seeing him on thursday at nublu east village in a band called pirata, most notably featuring guitarist dave harrington. caught them about a month ago and it was one of the best nights of music i caught in 2019.

joe's wife also owned a really chill coffee and wine bar in my neighborhood called vineapple, but they closed for good a few months ago. 8 year run for a brooklyn coffee shop isn't terrible. bummed to see them go. probably a happy closure tho - they had a baby this year and joe is definitely making good money

Last edited:

crank

Met a couple sitting in the seats right in front of ours who flew here from Jackson Hole for the shows. The guy said he'd lived there for 30 years and skis almost every day. I didn't ask what he doe for work...got the impression he was a trustifarian.