• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Sunape?

The Sneak

Deadhead
Thanks- haven’t been there in a couple of years. How were conditions and how will they fare today? Looking to ski Tuesday NYE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc

The Epic pass is for suckers (like me, I guess). #neveragain #vailsucks
I hate to say you’re just asking for misery skiing mountains that are notorious for crowds on the holiday period.

Vail got very little to do with your trouble. Here at Wildcat, which is also a “new” Vail property, crowd is not an issue at all. Parking isn’t full even at 10. Lift line is less than 10 deep.

I’m loving my Epic pass! (I bought it BEFORE the Peak purchase, so I’m a net gainer)

snoseek

I hate to say you’re just asking for misery skiing mountains that are notorious for crowds on the holiday period.

Vail got very little to do with your trouble. Here at Wildcat, which is also a “new” Vail property, crowd is not an issue at all. Parking isn’t full even at 10. Lift line is less than 10 deep.

I’m loving my Epic pass! (I bought it BEFORE the Peak purchase, so I’m a net gainer)

You're probably spot on but I don't see too many scenarios where wildcat dramatically increases skier visits. It's just so far from the masses. It really is a great mountain because of this.

crank

I just drove over to Sunape to grab a trail map for a collage we are making. Place is shut down today due to a power outage.

Still pissing down misty rain at 23 degrees outside according to the car's external thermometer. An inch or so of dense, whiteish stuff on the ground.

Good day to stay inside.

Los

Yep, it's all relative, I guess. If Wildcat were even just an hour and 45 from where we live, it would be our go to mountain. And I'd be loving the Epic I suppose. But 2 hrs and 15 is just a little too much for us to make it there more than a couple times a year... Unfortunately.

abc

Yep, it's all relative, I guess. If Wildcat were even just an hour and 45 from where we live, it would be our go to mountain. And I'd be loving the Epic I suppose. But 2 hrs and 15 is just a little too much for us to make it there more than a couple times a year... Unfortunately.
If Wildcat were an hr south, it would be as crowded as Sunapee!!!

You problem isn’t Vail. Your problem is where you’re located. Live with the crowd, ski crowded mountains. Can’t have it both ways. You just can’t. Blaming Vail is cheap.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is all relative to location ultimately.

I have been loyal to Peaks for many years because Wildcat is 2 hours from me and Crotched about 1:15. Both offer a very mellow atmosphere which is important to me as a weekend skier. Attitash is a bit more crowded, but no Mt Snow. Haven't been to Snow over these years and little desire to. That's partially because of the 2:45 PITA ride on lame roads, but mostly because I grew up skiing southern VT and find the weekend experience at the major areas there completely awful compared to Wildcat.

The Epic addition really changes none of that. Unless Vail does a major culture change at Wildcat regarding grooming. Don't anticipate the crowding will ever become completely intolerable like Southern VT.

What Epic does do is add Okemo, which was my home mountain as a kid. I might once a year or so check it out on a Sunday for nostalgia. The Stowe addition is big for me though. It was home off and on from age 20-30. Still have lots of old friends there. So, we booked our February vacation (midweek only) there this year. As long as the snow is decent, it will be a great experience.

Sunapee? Late spring bumps play only

I get the Epic Vail hate, I really do. But it comes down to location and convenience. Ikon or Boyne are both inferior in that regard for the coastal NH folks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app