• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe or Okemo this weekend?

abc

"Normally" that's a question that don't need to be asked. But, both mountains are only 1/2 open!

Question I have is which is more "fun" or overall enjoyable at their current half open state?

Okemo is usually more crowded than Stowe. Probably true this weekend too? "This" being the weekend before Christmas.

Any words of wisdom, with the open trail list, which looks like it might ski better and has more variety?

Or stay home ... (I have epic pass, so skiing is free) and save the lodging cost for later in the season

The somewhat depressing forecast shows sunshine all the way till past Christmas (better than rain, of course). So condition isn't likely to improve much next week.

kingslug

Stowe for sure...at least it has some pitch. I don't know the status of their snow blowing..not that they do a lot so its take what you get. My take is the wind today will scour a lot of trails so bring the sharp skis. I have a good time their just using a few trails since they are a full 2300 vertical. Think of it as a workout day. Lap Lord 20 times..that will burn you up.
Haychute and liftline for some steep sliding. Then rest on Perry Merrill and Gondolier at 40 mph.
I'll be up there from 28th to the 5th. Sugarbush and Jay as well.

drjeff

FWIW, there's a race at Okemo on Sunday on Wardance off the Blackridge Triple. About 110 kids registered (I will admit to parenting 2 of them ;-) ).

Aside from a few extra bags in the base lodge early and some extra vehicles there in the parking lots 30 minutes or so before the opening bell, probably won't effect the on hill experience there much, if it all.

With an early/mid pack starter in the girls race and a late starter in the boys race, I'm hoping to be able to get a few laps off the bubble in between watching my kids race runs. Since my EPIC pass works there, I won't care too much how many runs I get on Sunday, even more so than when I'd be skiing on a discounted "racer parent" ticket on race day at places I didn't have a pass at!

urungus

Would normally say Stowe, but they currently well below half open ... only 3 black/double black trails

Tonyr

If you don't mind the extra time driving Stowe is the no brainer. Even if the skiing is equal (which it's not) there is so much more to do afterwards in Stowe.

Tony

abc

Yes, Stowe is longer drive. Also, for Okemo, I MAY be able to bump a bed for free.

When Stowe is fully open, no question, I’d pay the extra for lodging. But is 1/2 open Stowe worth $100 over half open Okemo? That’s the question.

Tonyr

Yes, Stowe is longer drive. Also, for Okemo, I MAY be able to bump a bed for free.

When Stowe is fully open, no question, I’d pay the extra for lodging. But is 1/2 open Stowe worth $100 over half open Okemo? That’s the question.

Yes.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If you've never been or barely skied Okemo give it a shot. As much as people hate on the place it is absolutely massive. You'll find some snow you'll like to carve some turns on.

That said...if drive time/cost/lodging wasn't a factor...Stowe.

My friend has an Epic pass and skis Okemo every single weekend. He says he might go to Stowe this year a time or two. Same with Mount Snow. He's just as dedicated to the sport as I am- he just gets his kicks ripping groomers instead of trees/bumps/pucker-worthy chutes.

FreeRider

I was at Stowe today.... windblown and -30 windchill...stuck on quad for 20mins hanging in the wind...all that said.... Stowe...okemo is a hill...

thebigo

Stowe for sure...at least it has some pitch. I don't know the status of their snow blowing..not that they do a lot so its take what you get. My take is the wind today will scour a lot of trails so bring the sharp skis. I have a good time their just using a few trails since they are a full 2300 vertical. Think of it as a workout day. Lap Lord 20 times..that will burn you up.
Haychute and liftline for some steep sliding. Then rest on Perry Merrill and Gondolier at 40 mph.
I'll be up there from 28th to the 5th. Sugarbush and Jay as well.

Agree - one of the reasons we keep a wildcat pass over cannon is that on hard/fast days you can get a workout lapping 2k vertical off an hsdq, not possible on fixed grip or low vertical detach.

abc

Thanks. I'm convinced. :)

Except, I feel like I'm coming down with a head cold. So not leaving tonight as I don't feel like I can handle the 4-5 hr drive to either. But if I feel better tomorrow, I'll drive up early morning to Snow, and then maybe onto Stowe. (taking Monday/Tuesday off too)

drjeff

From my experience at Okemo yesterday. Short of the line for Sunburst 6, the crowds were light. The snow is decent, definitely got scraped off as the day went on. Lots of acreage open to spread the holiday week masses around on, even if most of the wider snowmaking terrain only has roughly 1/2 width with dependable snow on it where the guns can reach. And honestly, the weather yesterday (especially after about 11 when the clouds burned off) was so nice (upper 20's to low 30's, no wind and a Bluebird sky), that it was just one of those days where it was so nice just to be outside sliding down the hill enjoying the sport we all love so much!